PDA

View Full Version : Marine Hair Regulation (for ROTC too)

UTROTC94
09-19-12, 09:01 PM
Hi Marines (not guys), I am a senior in high school right now. I am going to an in state university next year but my plan is to ultimately transfer to the University of Texas at Austin. I plan on transferring after my freshman yer and joining ROTC because I planned on enlisting after college anyway. My grandfather was a Marine during WW2 and I have always more been drawn to the Marines than the other branches because of the brotherhood that comes with it (from the stories he used to tell me and when dozens of Marines he served with in WW2 showed up at his funeral all those years later).

But to the point, I have a question about the hair regulation. I know it's been discussed on here but I have a picture of Paul Walker (no homo) and I would like to know if his hair is short enough for ROTC and eventually for the Marines.

I have longer hair right now, but I buzz my hair during every summer for football about the same length as his.

Thanks in advance.

Lisa 23
09-19-12, 09:06 PM
Topic closed until you have a complete profile besides a first and last name.....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. PM any Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky in the Ask A Marine forum when profile is complete and topic will be re-opened.

Lisa 23
09-19-12, 09:15 PM
Profile complete.......topic re-opened.

josephd
09-19-12, 10:14 PM
I don't know what JRROTC regs so I cant say but I will say that the haircut you picture you posted with Paul Walker is out of regs. The length on the top of his is fine but the sides(around the ears) and on the back need to be a 0(no guard on the clipper). From there you can have the top up to 3" long and it has to be faded properly from the 0 on the sides to that 3" or whatever length you want it at.

UTROTC94
09-19-12, 11:14 PM
I don't know what JRROTC regs so I cant say but I will say that the haircut you picture you posted with Paul Walker is out of regs. The length on the top of his is fine but the sides(around the ears) and on the back need to be a 0(no guard on the clipper). From there you can have the top up to 3" long and it has to be faded properly from the 0 on the sides to that 3" or whatever length you want it at.

Thank you sir... one last question. Did the 0 on the sides rule change in the last few decades? I ask because I've seen old pictures of my grandpa (on active duty) where his hair was longer than that. I'm not sure what the picture is called, but it looks like a yearbook picture where he is wearing his dress blues and it's just a head shot and his hair was about the same length on the sides as the picture above. He used to wear his sideburns shorter, about the same length on the sides, and longer on top than Paul Walker's and he combed it to the side.

josephd
09-19-12, 11:55 PM
I don't know of an exact date but I know the current regs have been in place for some time now, I want to say since around Vietnam time frame..??...

Sgt Leprechaun
09-20-12, 12:53 AM
Yes, the regulations changed...and have done so numerous times.

AND, it also depends on what unit you are with (Infantry/Air Wing) and the time period there, as well.

Do NOT azzume just because an old salt in a pic from 1982 has long hair he was out of reg...OR that he'd be 'in reg' today.

The pic of whomever this guy is? Out of reg, as described. Too long on the sides and he is in desperate need of a shave.

Gunstream
09-20-12, 09:33 PM
Sides need to be shaved to a 0 gaurd and evenly faded to the top. Also, his sideburns are too long as they need to be shaved (daily) up to the upper orifice of the ear. This is directly from the order:

">Ch 5 (1) Hair
>Ch 5 (a) Hair Length.
Hair will be neat and closely trimmed. The hair may be clipped at the edges of the side and back and will be evenly graduated all the way around the head (blended or faded and not edged as an outline)
from zero length at the hairline in the lower portion of the head to
the upper portion of the head. Hair will not be over 3 inches in length fully extended (an extended hair, not the sytle, determines proper length) on the upper portion of the head.The bulk of the hair shall not exceed approximately two inches. Bulk is defined as the distance that the mass of hair protrudes from the scalp when styled.
The back and sides of the head below the hairline may be shaved to remove body hair.
MARADMIN 504/07

>Ch 5 1.
Sideburns will not extend below the top of the orifice of the ear, as indicated by the line A-A' in figures 1-1 and 1-2. Sideburns will not be styled to taper, flare orcome to a point. The length of an individual hair of the sideburn will not exceed 1/8 inch when fully extended.

MARADMIN 504/07

>Ch 5 2.
No male Marine will be required to have his entire hair length clipped to the scalp except while he is undergoing recruit training or when such action is prescribed by a medical officer."

If you want to read more, the order is "MCO P1020.34G"
You can google that and pull up the entire order. It also has all the uniform regs, if you're interested.