PDA

View Full Version : Veterans, Who Do They Think They Are?

thedrifter
11-26-03, 10:47 AM
Veterans, Who Do They Think They Are?

November 21, 2003

By Laurel A. Olmsted

Today I overheard a young man exclaim, "Veterans, who do they think they are?" Was he a protester carrying a sign? No. Was he someone who had been wronged by a Veteran? No. He simply had discovered that his mail might not be delivered on Veterans Day.

I don't know who I am more upset with, the mother who didn't say anything to her son, or myself, for not telling this guy just who Veterans think they are. So I decided to write something that I can hand to someone should the question ever arise again. This is just a partial list of all that our military has done, and is doing for us.

"Veterans, Who Do They Think They Are?"

They are the men and women who live every day in pain. Physical pain from their wounds, lost limbs, or maybe it's the shrapnel they still carry. Emotional pain from being separated from their families for long periods of time. For missing the birth of their child, or death of a parent. Mental pain for what they have seen and what they had to do. Pain from knowing that they would have died for you and you are not wise enough to know you should care.

They are the ones who make life-long friends. They know how precious life is and they never forget the ones who didn't make it back. Never. That is why you will see Veteran's at the cemetery on Memorial Day walking around and silently thanking the ones who are buried there. They don't have to know them personally to know the sacrifice each one made.

They are the ones who are loud and boisterous. They are the ones who are quiet.

They are the ones who shivered in the foxhole, trying to keep the enemy at bay.

They are the ones who crawled through sand when the temperature was 126 degrees.

They are the ones who carried their buddy to safety.

They are the ones who sometimes drink too much, trying to keep the memories from haunting them.

They are the ones who carry the flag with the honor and respect it deserves.

They are the ones who wear their military uniform with pride and still have it in their closet 30 some years later.

They are the ones who don't ask you to go out of your way for them.

They are the ones who have gone out of their way for you.

They are the ones who spent many nights awake on guard duty so you didn't have to.

They are the ones who helped keep our shores safe while you played video games.

They are the ones who missed their birthdays, anniversaries, and other important dates.

They are the ones who got shot and got sent home, but felt guilty because their buddies were still there.

They are the ones who followed orders even when they didn't want to.

They are the ones who had enough love and pride in their country to do a job many others couldn't do.

They are the ones who stepped up when the call went out.

They are the ones who ate MRE's till they were sick of them.

They are the ones who cried "Medic" at the top of their lungs though they couldn't even hear their own voice.

They are the ones who cried when they were alone in their tent.

They are the ones who flew planes, drove tanks, worked a ship, and armed the missiles.

They are the ones who had moms at homes praying for them every minute of every day.

They are the ones who made it safe for you so you could go to school or work.

They are the ones who missed ordering pizza, the movies, the shopping trips, and all that you take for granted.

They are the ones who asked to take a friend's deployment because that friend had a family.

They are the ones who gave their girlfriends a lock of their hair to keep as a promise of their return.

They are the ones who wanted to come home

They are the ones who didn't return.

They are the ones who waited months for a letter.

How can you not wait one day?

God Bless Our Veterans,

Laurel A. Olmsted
Wife Of A Veteran
Proud Mother of two Veterans

© 2003, Laurel A. Almsted.

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Doc Crow
11-27-03, 07:40 PM
Another outstanding post :thumbup: we need a clapping emoticon here

tommyboy
11-29-03, 03:27 PM
That was excellent!

richgitz
11-29-03, 05:18 PM
Very well done Drifter. You know how to get a Tear in our eyes
but at the same time make us VERY PROUD that we are Vets.
and Brothers.:yes: :marine:

RichLundeen
11-29-03, 06:44 PM
I don't think we're anything, but the most PRIVILEGED son-of-a-*****es to serve the GREATEST country in recorded history.

Time to bring the wife to dinner!

Later.

trollman
12-01-03, 09:57 PM
Semper Fi

mrbsox
12-02-03, 07:29 AM
Everbody has seen this, I'm sure
But maybe you cannot get your hands on it, like I couldn't find it right away. Here it is, with my 2 cents added:

It is the VETERAN, not the preacher,
who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the VETERAN, not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the VETERAN, not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the VETERAN, not the campus organizer,
who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is the VETERAN, not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the VETERAN, not the politician,
Who has given us the right to vote.

But, I say that this is NOT entirely true. You see, our 'Fore Fathers' provided the means for us to express these rights.

But GOD gave them to us.

We were empowered with them thru the fore sight and visions of our founding Fathers.

We were provided with the means of ensuring that our children could inherit the same privilege and opportunities as our parents.

We are without a doubt, a nation based upon the freedoms and liberities that a gracious God would want his people to have.

But, it is the VETERANS that ensure that these rights are available to WE THE PEOPLE .

It is the the Veteran, that has done the deeds others do not understand, that have enspired the rest of the world to 'come to America'.

It is the Veteran that will continue to sacrafice himself, his home life, and all that he is, to make sure that the legacy of AMERICA will endure.

It will continue to be the Veteran, that keeps the heart of America strong, vibrant, and available to the rest of the world.

It is the Veteran that follows orders, to try and deliver these same rights and abilities to the rest of the world.

It is the Veteran that keeps conflict from OUR shores.

It is the Veteran, that I salute, and mourn, and proudly stand beside, everyday of my life.

My thanks to each of you, that serve, have served, and will serve.

God Bless America