PDA

View Full Version : Would like some honest opinions.

Zagrocki
09-11-12, 05:35 PM
I am going to a recruiting station tomorrow to sign up for an ASVAB exam. But, i am still having a hard time choosing which branch to enlist into, even after researching.

The two branches i am looking into are either Army or Marine Corps. I have always wanted to be a Marine. Just saying the word Marine gives me a sense of pride. But as far as what i could see myself doing in the military, i am not so sure if the marines would be suitable for me or not.

I would like to go to airbourne school after basic training. And hopefully get an opportunity to do special forces, ranger, or recon etc, sometime in my career. Where i can see myself having trouble with the special forces side of the Marine Corps is that i do not like the ocean lol.

But at the same time what is stopping me from just going with Army is that i do not want to get trained poorly, especially since i want to do something infantry related. I know that the Marine Corps is known for having the best training the military has to offer, but i am just not sure.

If i do join the Army I would just want to make sure that we are trained well enough to stay alive is what i am trying to say i guess. All opinions and input are much appreciated.

Thank you for your service and god bless you all.

josephd
09-11-12, 06:20 PM
Army training is by no means poor or inferior really to the Marine Corps, it is just different. The mission is different and our cultures are different.

If you don't like water I would encourage you to stay away from the Corps, especially if you want to be infantry and/or recon. Most of your training with recon is done in the water/ in the ocean.

MOS4429
09-11-12, 06:36 PM
Response in Red.

I am going to a recruiting station tomorrow to sign up for an ASVAB exam. But, i am still having a hard time choosing which branch to enlist into, even after researching.

You are doing the right thing. Research and weigh the options.

The two branches i am looking into are either Army or Marine Corps. I have always wanted to be a Marine. Just saying the word Marine gives me a sense of pride. But as far as what i could see myself doing in the military, i am not so sure if the marines would be suitable for me or not.

Sometimes you have to go with that "gut feeling." Nobody here can tell you what to do. Joining the Marine Corps isn't as much about if it is suitable for you or not, but more about whether you are suitable for the Marine Corps. (Notice, I capitalize the "M" in Marine and Marines. Hint, hint.)

I would like to go to airbourne school after basic training. And hopefully get an opportunity to do special forces, ranger, or recon etc, sometime in my career. Where i can see myself having trouble with the special forces side of the Marine Corps is that i do not like the ocean lol.

But at the same time what is stopping me from just going with Army is that i do not want to get trained poorly, especially since i want to do something infantry related. I know that the Marine Corps is known for having the best training the military has to offer, but i am just not sure.

It is what it is. You want better training all around, you know the answer to your question then, right? You simply have to ask, do you want to be one of the best, or would you rather settle for second or third?

If i do join the Army I would just want to make sure that we are trained well enough to stay alive is what i am trying to say i guess. All opinions and input are much appreciated.

If you do join the Army, there is nothing you can do to make sure you are trained well. You are not going to change their training, and in fact, how would you do that? I refer back to my above comment. Too often come from the perspective of what is best for me, not considering whether the Marine Corps would even want you or you would make the cut.

Keep researching and weighing your options, but the bottom line is if you want to be one of the best, then you know what you need to do. Otherwise, just go be one of the rest.

Thank you for your service and god bless you all.

Rocky C
09-11-12, 06:42 PM
That was one Outstanding answer Brother :thumbup:.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Baker1971
09-13-12, 04:54 PM