PDA

View Full Version : Good Books for Wannabes

Claire527
09-10-12, 05:32 PM
Good evening, Marines!

I`ve been eating up all the information I can get on boot camp, becoming a Marine, being a Marine, etc, and was wondering on any book suggestions you might have. Any books or guides that would help me out with learning more about being a Marine or becoming a Marine. I`ve read the "Ultimate Guide to Boot Camp" and Rocky`s blogs on here. So I`m looking for something along those lines, plus books like "Flags of Our Fathers". That`s become one of my favorite books, so anything like that. Biography, memoirs, guides, etc. Basically anything you can think of having to do with Marines, especially becoming one.

My search bar hasn`t worked well lately on here, so I`m sorry if this has been asked before.

Thank you, as always, for any and all answers!

Zulu 36
09-10-12, 05:58 PM
This is a link to the USMC reading program list. Stick mostly with the books for Poolees and Pvt/PFC, maybe LCpl.

http://www.dinfos.dma.mil/dinfosweb/students/other/2012_United_States_Marine_Corps_Professional_Readi ng_Program.pdf

Claire527
09-10-12, 06:06 PM
Than you very much, Sir! I really appreciate that list. That really helps!

MOS4429
09-11-12, 11:51 AM
Read books about the history of the Marine Corps. IMHO, poolees should learn about the roots of the branch of service they are about to enter. For instance, I just finished "Victor 'Brute' Krulak." It is a biography of the first General Krulak, and why it would be a good read is it goes into some of the history of how it is we even have a Marine Corps today, the Army's constant desire to obliterate the Marine Corps. Warning: There are a few "F" bombs in the last quarter of the book, but otherwise does not have a lot of bad language.

Rocky C
09-11-12, 01:58 PM
Claire, you read My Blogs ?
That's some Great info right there.

Great Book ? " Why Marines Fight " by James Brady.

And of course this !!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oF0gqRh8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B002B3BICI/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=3375251&s=sporting-goods)
You can get it from Amazon.

Keep learning...

Claire527
09-11-12, 03:19 PM
MOS4429, thank you, I`ll be sure to look it up!

Rocky, Sir, yes I did read them! Thank you for posting them, it`s much appreciated by this wannabe! And thank you for suggesting to me those books, sounds great!

Thank you very much to both of you!:)

doc h fmf
09-11-12, 04:34 PM
Claire Flag of our father is about the legendary Corpsman Doc Bradley. Who was with the marines who invaded Iwo Jima It was about him and his heroic taking care of his brothers and raising the flag on Iwo JIma. But thats okay alot of people dont know that the Marines and their Doc have been a tightly knit brotherhood for over 200 years.
My favorite Marine book is One Shot oneKill and Movie is Full Metal Jacket

Semper Fi and Godbless Claire

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 FMF

Claire527
09-11-12, 04:54 PM
Thank you for the suggestions, Sir, and yes, I did know that, and should have specified better. Doc Bradley was one of my favorites in the book and seemed like a very kind man, and it showed me that you Corpsmen take care of the Marines very well. Thank you, Sir.

I also just want to add on to this post thank you all for your service to our country...9/11 to me is a day to reflect on the civilians and first responders who died in the attacks, but also to reflect on the military too, and I feel it`s important to thank you all for your service--whether or not you served during this war, a previous one, or not in any war. You all have kept us safe after attacks such as Pearl Harbor and 9/11, and I think that you all deserve lots of thanks...obviously, it`s important to mourn the civilians and first responders who died, but also to mourn those who lost their lives in the military, and to thank those who have served.

Once again, thank you!

Tennessee Top
09-13-12, 04:48 AM
1. "The Ultimate Marine Recruit Training Guidebook: A Drill Instructor's Strategies and Tactics for Success" by Nick Popaditch (former USMC DI).

2. "Montford Point: America's First Black Marines" by Melton McLauren

Go to MarineParents.com and order from the EGA store (proceeds go to their outreach programs which help Marines and their families).

Good luck.

Claire527
09-13-12, 07:12 PM
Thank you very much, MSgt for those suggestions! I will most definitely order through the EGA store. Thank you!