PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe in need of advice.

Nolankyle
09-08-12, 05:56 PM
I'm sure I know the answer to this but I need to hear it from people that have dealt with this exact situation before.

I've caught myself in this internal struggle, I don't want to ruin my future with the woman I love who is against me joining the USMC, however it is my dream, my goal in life to earn the title.

In life I've been everywhere and tried everything I can to find something I might be interested in outside of the military, but I can't find a thing. My mind keeps shooting back to Marines. Every single time. I even spent 2 years at Curlew Jobcorps training to be a carpenter, that's so far gone nowhere and I'm not entirely interested in carpentry as a career. Retail, MARINES, carpentry, MARINES, baker, MARINES, Signcrafter & designer, MARINES.

It's absolutely wearing me down. I need to do something about it but I can't find it in me to tell the girl, I'm going to do it anyways, because when I do I'm essentially giving her up.

Advice, encouragement, a BE A MAN! lecture. I'd absolutely love to hear it. What do I do?

Sergeant M
09-08-12, 06:56 PM
Topic closed until you have a complete profile filled out besides a first and last name....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. When profile is complete, PM any...

Sergeant M
09-08-12, 07:14 PM
Thread has been re-opened, the profile has been filled out.

My advice to you, is to sit down and talk to your significant other. Explain to her that you think that the Marine Corps is the only way you can find happiness in a career. If she really loves you in return, then she should support you in your decision. Long distance relationships are extremely difficult, and even if she does support you now, that may not guarantee success. Your best bet would be to sit down with yourself and make a Pros/Cons list. What are the benefits to becoming a Marine, and what are the sacrifices that may be made. In the end, this is a decision that you have to make and that you have to live with. I think that you may find that after coming home from several years in the Marine Corps, nothing at home really changes much.

Gunstream
09-08-12, 09:46 PM
I would tell her that this has been a dream of yours, and that it's something that has a very limited window to pursue. I'd know, I waited til the very last minute to pursue it myself. I really think I would have regretted it if I hadn't gone before the clock ran out, and that's exactly what I would tell her. You don't want to wake up 15 years down the road and harbor a buried resentment toward her for preventing you from pursuing your dream. I also think a truly loving partner is supportive of their significant other doing something they enjoy...

The way I see it, you get one life. That means one opportunity to become a Marine. You get as many tries at relationships as it takes, and there are 3.3 billion women in the world to try with. Interpret that as you see fit.

BGW
09-09-12, 01:40 AM
Yah man if she doesnt want to stand by you on this then you might have bigger problems.

On a side note why is she against you on joining the USMC? Its not a automatic death sentence like most people think.

Nolankyle
09-09-12, 02:21 AM
In response to BGW...
I'm not sure. I've brought it up twice now, and both times she's been adamant that she is NOT o.k with the idea of me joining the military in general. I'm not sure if it's the fact that she might think it's some kind of automatic death sentence or the fact that I'd be gone for long periods of time. I've been hesitant to push the subject further and pry more out of her for fear of upsetting her further.

Whilst writing this reply, I have asked her exactly what it might be that she couldn't handle if I were to join the military.

Nolankyle
09-09-12, 02:23 AM
"how far away you'd be, never seeing you, not being able to talk to you, not knowing if you're safe or hurt or where you are. I mean...obviously i don't handle those types of relationships well." "but i mean, the problem is, as much as i hate the idea of you going into the military, i hate keeping you from doing it just as much, if not more."

Rocky C
09-09-12, 10:20 AM
Questions asked.
Questions answered.
Thread Closed.

The final decision is up to you. Follow your Heart...

Good luck.