PDA

View Full Version : Is it better to run for endurance or for a time?

Afrey
08-24-12, 02:07 PM
Good afternoon Marines. This might have been asked before but my search bar seems to be broken. When training for bootcamp is it better to run for endurance or for time? I've been stressing trying to get my 3 mile time down before bootcamp (I'm only at a 26:00 and my Marine friend said I need it at a 20:00 prior to shipping). Any suggestions on getting the time down? I'm in the process of getting my shipdate changed to January instead of June so I have around 5 months.

Thanks for the help!

A. Frey

Afrey
08-24-12, 02:10 PM
Also my IST run time is at around an 11 minute, 15 pull ups and 125 crunches if you have any suggestions to help those scores also.

Thanks!

A. Frey

Gunstream
08-24-12, 08:46 PM
You are physically prepared to go to boot camp. It would be nice if you maxed your pullups and knocked a couple minutes off your time before you ship, but you'll be physically ready for bootcamp (assuming you don't get injured).

To answer your question though, I'd run for endurance. You'll have to sprint in the CFT, but most everything else is endurance. On top of that, training for endurance will pay off more on the hikes you'll be doing at SOI, so you kind of kill two birds with one stone.

Is your limitation on your 3 mile time that you become tired if you run faster, or that you aren't capable of sprinting any faster than you're running? That should answer your question...

To give perspective though, my best 3 mile time is only 20:50, but that landed me at a 283 PFT. Since I'm an old man, I only need a 200 to make a 1st class score. Even if I were a young pup, a 225 is the cutoff for first class. Your current stats give you a 227, so you barely make the cut. First class is kind of considered garbage though, and 2nd class PFT scores will keep you at one enlistment.

Gunstream
08-24-12, 08:48 PM
Also, the quote in your profile is wrong. Should read:

""Retreat...Hell we just got here."

Hear = something your ears do
Here = a place

m14ed
08-25-12, 04:01 AM
Is it better to run for endurance or for a time?

That is a Broad Question that needs more definition.Are you running to get out of the country? or running to catch a bus?
Some times you only need to do ONE, Some times you need to do BOTH..

example,, good long run from Janesville to Canadian border ! = long

fast run, catching a bus you just missed heading to Chicago ! = fast

Catching a Bus from Chicago to Janesville = be at the station before the bus leaves .

MunkyVsRobot
08-25-12, 10:12 PM
You really need to be able to do both you have the 880 for the cft you have the 3 mile for the pft but there are also company runs that can go for 6 to 8 miles or casevac runs that can range from a mile to 3. So you should be able to do a bit of both.