PDA

View Full Version : Parents...

TacticsMatter
08-22-12, 09:40 PM
I want to join the Marines when I get old enough I've talked to my parents and they said "Absolutely not!". Do you Marines have any advice on what to say to convince them? Also another problem (a little smaller) I'm a little over weight (or at least not where I would want to be) I ride 5 mile Mountain bike trails pretty much every day but it doesn't seem to really do anything I also really don't eat much, any help on that? Thank you.

Lisa 23
08-22-12, 10:00 PM
Topic closed until you have a complete profile filled out besides a first and last name.....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. PM any Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky in the Ask A Marine forum when your profile is complete and topic will be re-opened.
Also, at just turning 13 years old, you have plenty of time to get yourself ready to join the military.

Rocky C
08-23-12, 02:19 PM
Profile completed.
Thread re-opened.

m14ed
08-24-12, 03:49 AM
I want to join the Marines when I get old enough ,
my parents said "Absolutely not!"

Do you Marines have any advice on what to say to convince them?

(((You can do it on your own when you reach 18 )))

I'm a little over weight (or at least not where I would want to be)

I ride 5 mile Mountain bike trails pretty much every day
(( it doesn't seem to really do anything )) ,

.................................................. .................................................. ................................
Consider that a bicycle is a Machine that is designed to make a given task faster or easier..
You pedle up hill and coast down ?????

Park the bike and move your a$$, Run, - Jog, slither like a snake----exercise your body ,,,
You're gonna need it................................................ ..............................

I also really don't eat much, any help on that?

Start eating correctly ?? It's called DIET !
IF nothing else, ask your school nurse on where to find information
on a diet to improve your needs......

Thank you.

Good Luck Youngster !

josephd
08-24-12, 09:29 PM
It probably doesn't make sense to you but I'd be willing to bet that if you started eating more meals(clean/healthy ones) through out the day you would probably lose weight. Only eating once or twice a day lowers your metabolism. With that, when you do eat your body stores that nutrients as fat. Start eating small meals multiple times a day mixed in with some mild physical activity and you'll be surprised by how much better you'll feel.

Oh!...And get off that bike and hit the pavement with your feet. Biking is good exercise but only if you are doing some intense hills and such.

Gunstream
08-24-12, 10:20 PM
I like Ed's idea. Get on the ground and slither.

No really.

You're going to be doing alot of it at boot camp.

m14ed
08-25-12, 03:31 AM
josephd (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?54187-josephd) makes a VERY-GOOD point about diet in post #5

I like Ed's idea. Get on the ground and slither.

No really.

You're going to be doing alot of it at boot camp.

You know the point i'm trying to make... ,

He's not doing (any/much) good by riding the bicycle when the real work- is to work with out it...

We're not just talking boot camp - - -Can you remember using anything other than your GEAR and your ass doing exercises ??

Maybe - that LOG you used in bootcamp two or three times to learn "Teamwork" !

Not talking about / obstical course, confidence course, or anything
else .

using a bicycle and calling it exercise , is like "Playing-GOLF" or using a cart/ or buggy, ,
or Jogging in an Elevator !!!!

Subsum44
08-28-12, 05:33 PM
Everyone above has good points on everything. If you eat more, healthy though, it will increase your metabolism. You don't need to eat a lot, just a little bit. Try a small breakfast bar (lara bars are the healthiest you can get) in between meals just to keep your metabolism up. Biking by itself isn't enough, and most trails don't give you any real resistance. Just start running and doing upper body workouts like pushups, pullups and presses to increase your workouts.

As far as your parents, you have two options. One is just ignore them and wait until you are 18 and just go. The second is to persuade them that this is what you really want to do. They may still not like it, but if you show them a good argument and show them you are putting in an effort for it then they should be ok with it. Even then, you still have the first option.

TacticsMatter
08-28-12, 05:40 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted!