PDA

View Full Version : My mom will only let me to join the USAF but i want to join the marines.

rubberduck
08-13-12, 03:12 PM
I am 17 and will be 18 in 4 months so I could just wait and go over my mom's head and join the Marines, but I would rather try to work it out with her before I do that. I do know know why but in all her wisdom she thinks if I join the Marines I will be coming home in a wooden box, but if I join the Air Force it is as safe as a trip to the zoo. How do I prove that one branch is better then the other when it is all persional prefrences? Thanks for your help, I look forward to your advice and hope I can get into the DEP.

Rocky C
08-13-12, 03:53 PM
Your best bet, like many others before you is to go and talk to a Marine Recruiter and explain the situation. Ask your Mom first if the Recruiter can come over and talk to you and her.

Your Recruiter will have no problem with that.
Your Mom will feel much better after that chat.

Good luck and keep us posted.

DWG
08-13-12, 04:13 PM
Marine is ALWAYS capitalized!
Besides, you could come home in a wooden box from a trip to the grocery. Life is risk. Your mothers' concern is natural, however, like you said, you will be 18 in a few months and it will be your decision. You will be the one who has to live with it, no one else.

Zulu 36
08-13-12, 04:37 PM
Well, if the wooden box theory is correct, why are all of us still alive?

rubberduck
08-13-12, 04:37 PM
Thank you for your help I will see if this will put my mother at ease or if i have to go over her head, and with the way I drive I do knot know how I am not in a wooden box already lol

DWG
08-13-12, 04:42 PM
Well, if the wooden box theory is correct, why are all of us still alive?

Only the good die young; none of us qualified!

Zulu 36
08-13-12, 04:45 PM
Only the good die young; none of us qualified!

There is that.

DWG
08-13-12, 04:59 PM
Good save Rhode Island!:D

DWG
08-13-12, 05:10 PM
Of course there is an up side to the AF; you get to wear a spiffy blue suit, you stay clean a lot, you get to watch other people fly planes, you have the pride of knowing you are in military service, as opposed to the armed force! LOL!

Any branch is good kid, some are just better! At least WE think so!

Even the Air Force is better than wasting your time as a fry cook; and they do have damn fine schools.
BTW; everyone in my family, except me, was AF, (two even retired w/25+). ;)

Rocky C
08-13-12, 05:20 PM
Good save Rhode Island!:D

:thumbup:;)

m14ed
08-14-12, 03:48 AM
You should be able to "Stand on your head" for 4 month.

WoodenBox/AluminumBox

We don't really care....first part of the trip home dead is in a
body bag, DO DAH !

You've gotta get out from under momas skirt,

Step off the porch,

play with the big dogs.

NO,,,
Your mother will never want you to be a Marine.

But remember her words when she tells you
(Be carefull what you wish for, you may just get it)

MOS4429
08-14-12, 11:24 AM
Marine is ALWAYS capitalized!

Marine as an adjective it is usually applicable to things relating to the sea or ocean, such as marine biology, marine ecology, and marine geology. :D And it's not capitalized.

BUT...when you are referring to the United States Marine Corps, we capitalize Marine!!

Sorry, I digressed.

MOS4429
08-14-12, 11:28 AM
Rubberduck, when I was 17, would turn 18 in four month, too, I came home and said, "Mom, I'm joining the Marine Corps."

She said, "No, you're going to college."

I said, "Well, you can sign for me or I'll get dad, or I'll wait until I am 18."

She signed. I turned 18 in boot camp.

Regarding the box...Hebrews 9:27.And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.

We're all gonna die some day. What matters is do we know where we will spend our eternity.

DWG
08-14-12, 11:35 AM
Marine as an adjective it is usually applicable to things relating to the sea or ocean, such as marine biology, marine ecology, and marine geology. And it's not capitalized.

BUT...when you are referring to the United States Marine Corps, we capitalize Marine!!

Sorry, I digressed.

Were we talking about biology, ecology or geology?
:confused:

NO! :mad:

In this instance, we were referring to Jarheads, Leathernecks, under paid, over sexed, teen-age killers, Uncle Sams' Misguided Children! etcetera!

Ya gotta keep these kids' attention, don't confuse them with too much information! Ya damn bookworm, ya!
:D

DWG
08-14-12, 11:38 AM
Rubberduck, when I was 17, would turn 18 in four month, too, I came home and said, "Mom, I'm joining the Marine Corps."

She said, "No, you're going to college."

I said, "Well, you can sign for me or I'll get dad, or I'll wait until I am 18."

She signed. I turned 18 in boot camp.

Regarding the box...Hebrews 9:27.And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.

We're all gonna die some day. What matters is do we know where we will spend our eternity.

I did the same thing, I turned 18 five months after I was inducted (got my stripe the same day, happy birthday to me). :banana:

SIR TieTWhitey
08-14-12, 01:10 PM
Being a recruiter for the Marines right now I can tell you that the recruiter for your school would be more than happy to sit and talk to you and your mom. The best advice to give you is to stick to your guns but be open with mom. Keep her informed and always state, "I want to be a Marine" and show her why. Go to www.lifeasamarine.com (http://www.lifeasamarine.com). If you use words like "I think" or "Maybe" then that is going to put doubt in her mind. Make her realize you are serious and you want her to be involved in your life choices.

rubberduck
08-14-12, 07:32 PM
I took the advice of talking to a recruiter, but I already taked to one by myself and one with her from the Marines. It really did help but she still likes the Air force. So we talked it out and if we talk to an Air force recuiter she will sign what ever I want. This way I can get into the DEP 4 months faster then on my own and get a better shot at the MOS I am hoping to get in. Eather way I get were I need to go, thanks for the help.

NowArmyMP
08-16-12, 12:49 AM
I am in Afghanistan now and two people that I knew (not close of course) were killed by a suicide bomber last week. My Command Sergeant Major and an AF Major. Yes, the Air Force (depending on MOS) does not go outside the wire as much as the ground troops do. But in these conflicts, the AF is doing alot of ground missions and covering down on many missions normally done by the Army and Marine Corps. Nevertheless, they are sacrificing their own in these wars.

RIP Sir.
http://k99.com/air-force-maj-walter-d-gray-among-those-who-died-for-you-last-week-weeks-32-videos/