PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Reserve Officer, 540 day FITREP? Process to A.D. Post MOS Selection?

Chapman1988
08-08-12, 06:43 PM
Hello everyone,
I have seen some posts regarding reserve officer transfer to A.D. but have seen a lot of conflicting information and nothing regarding this 540-day FITREP situation that I am unclear on. Thank you for your time.

I am currently applying to January OCS class, only reserve contracts are currently available. I have spoken with my OSO about details regarding reserve-life but some details remain murky and I would really appreciate it if someone could clear up a couple questions for me.

My OSO stated that there is a 540-day period after MOS selection ends that I cannot apply to go Active Duty because a FITREP requires that long for an evaluation. Did I understand that accurately? Does this mean I cannot apply to either deploy or go A.D. until after this 540-day period? If someone could clarify what the 540-day FITREP refers to I would appreciate it.

Also, for clarifications sake, is there a difference between applying to "deploy" and applying to "go A.D."

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information regarding reserve officers going active duty or deploying and the process therein. Would anybody be able to clarify what happens post-MOS Selection to a Marine Officer who is interested in deploying/going A.D?

Thank you again for your time.

Dan

josephd
08-08-12, 08:11 PM
I really can't answer your question about the 540 day FitRep thing your asking. What I cans answer is...Yes, there is a difference between going active duty and being mobilized/deployed. Going active duty implies that you are augmenting over to being active duty and being a Marine 24/7 and getting stationed somewhere. Being mobilized/deployed is only for a set period of time(normally 400 days). And you will fill a billet that the Marine Corps didn't have an actual active duty counterpart to take. You would fill that billet/job for about a year or over the course of a deployment and then come off orders afterwards and go back to be a drilling reservist.