PDA

View Full Version : Advise on becoming a Marine Reservist please.

bwen14
06-10-12, 10:49 PM
Hi Marines,
I have read through many other posts where people have asked questions similar to mine, but I wanted some advice with my particular situation.
Basically, I would like to go to university but I will be struggling to pay for it. I have contacted the NROTC unit at the university that I have been accepted to they have told me that currently, very few students are being commissioned as officers at the moment through the ROTC program. And almost no scholarships are being given out. The course that I want to take at university is one of the most expensive ones. I want to do a flight operations degree where a get my commercial license.

Eventually I would like to become an officer in the Marine Corps, and apply for a flight package. If I didn't get the flight package it wouldn't bother me too much.

I am now considering joining as a reserve and applying for the Post 9/11 GI bill after some active duty service. Would I be able to voluntarily be deployed as an active duty Marine for maybe 6-12 months? I would like to be able to attend university in maybe the spring of 2013. How long would all of the training take? I understand that basic takes around 3 months. How long does the MOS training take? Is this a path that would suit me? I think that the experience of being enlisted and AD deployed would be good.

Thanks for your help,
Caleb.

IHaveEGA843
06-11-12, 06:56 AM
There are scholarships being given out because my RSS just gave one out to a applicant, my father called me up and told me about it. As for the GI bill I really havent looked much into since I work full time but I plan on using it in the near future. I heard you can only get a certain percentage of the money unlike my AD counterparts. As far as deployments you wont be getting any in your first year because thats what I want and I've been shot down. Most of your first year is training anyways depending on your MOS. Bootcamp is 3 months depending if you make it in those 3 months. A LOT of recruits get held back for a number of things. Push through the pain and whatever small injuries you have because going to medical all the time will get you held back or dropped if your SDI thinks you've missed to much training days.

MOS school depends on what you pick. I know the longest school on the base I was at was Motor T Mech which was 3 months but they are so backed up that theres Marines in MAT Plts waiting up to 8 months to pick up for class. Reservist are pushed forward in the front so youll wait the max a month or 2.

Ill let the salt dogs give you more info.

m14ed
06-12-12, 05:08 AM
go army
go air force
go somewhere else
PLEASE

bwen14
06-12-12, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the reply IHaveEGA843. How long have you been in the Marine Reserves? What job do you have? Have you been deployed yet?

Thanks for the advice on basic training. I have done a little research into the Post 9/11 GI Bill, after 3 months active duty service you will be able to receive 40% of the maximum bill allowance. After 6 months AD you will be able to receive 50% of the bill allowance. So that's $8,750 per year. After 3 years of service you will be eligible for the full amount of the $17,500 per year. I'm pretty sure that as a reserve, active duty experience is only time deployed in a combat zone. So I guess that you could be deployed in a non-combat zone and that time wouldn't count towards your active duty experience...

What is your view on the reserves? Would you recommend it?

bwen14
06-12-12, 06:55 AM
Thanks for your reply m14ed. Why do you think that the Marines isn't for me?

I have this dream of being a pilot. But I can't picture myself transporting people from A to B for the rest of my life. It seems like a waste, as if I am doing nothing with my life. I want to do something that actually contributes to our country and society. I want to contribute to a bigger cause than myself. I understand that I can do this in the Army or Air Force, but isn't the Marine Corps' principles commitment, honour and courage? Commitment to serve your country for the greater good. Honour to do the right thing. The motto of Semper Fidelis means to be faithful to your country. This is exactly what I want to do. How does the Marine Corps not suit me in your view?