PDA

View Full Version : 20,000 Marines Back to Iraq

marinemom
11-18-03, 05:57 AM
Troops to assume long-term duties typically left to Army

By Rick Rogers and James W. Crawley
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITERS

November 17, 2003

Twenty thousand San Diego-based Marines will return to Iraq early next year, raising questions about whether the role of occupying force really suits the Marines and what degree of danger they will face.

"The Marines had a slogan that they win battles and the Army wins wars, but these protracted stability operations are what we have," defense analyst Michael Vickers said.

Since World War II, the Corps has been legendary for strikes from sea and air, while long-term land operations are generally left to the Army. The Marines at times have taken on nontraditional tasks over their 228-year history.

Vickers said Marines waded ashore at Da Nang in March 1965 and that during the Vietnam War two divisions, including the 1st Marine Division from Camp Pendleton, helped secure the northernmost part of that country until 1971. At the height of the war, about 85,700 Marines were deployed to Vietnam.

"The Marines were also a major small-war force from 1915 to the 1930s" in Haiti, Nicaragua and the Dominican Republic, said Vickers, director of strategic studies for the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments. "So there has been swings in what the Marine Corps does, and we might be seeing a new era for the Marines."

Whether the Marine Corps wants the job of caretaker and terrorist-hunter might be another story.

"I don't think there is any doubt that if the Marines were given a vote, they'd vote that the Army should continue doing this role," said retired Marine Gen. Joe Hoar, former head of the U.S. Central Command, which is responsible for military activities in the Persian Gulf region.

"This is a nontraditional role for the Marines," said Hoar, who retired in 1994 and lives in Del Mar. "But the Army is deeply overcommitted around the world and is not capable of meeting all its responsibilities."

Since most of Camp Pendleton's 1st Marine Division returned from Iraq last summer, the unit commander, Maj. Gen. James Mattis, has pushed to get the troops retrained and their equipment repaired.

Mattis wanted the division ready by November. That marching order has been largely met, said several Camp Pendleton military sources, speaking on condition of anonymity.

When the Marine Corps commandant, Gen. Michael Hagee, was asked this week whether his Marines were prepared to spend years rotating through Iraq, he replied, "We are prepared to do anything."

Regardless of whether that is their traditional role, defense experts say – and Hoar agrees – that the Marines are the best choice to do the tough job of patrolling a section of Iraq that includes part of the "Sunni Triangle." There, U.S. forces have come under frequent deadly attack.

"Thank God for the Marines, because the Army needs them," said defense analyst Patrick Garrett with GlobalSecurity.org, an independent think tank in Alexandria, Va.

In earlier interviews, the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force commander, Lt. Gen. James Conway, said the Corps' emphasis on infantry was an advantage during post-combat operations during the summer in southern Iraq because ground troops were less frightening to civilians than lumbering tanks. The 1st Marine Division is the infantry portion of the expeditionary force.

Before turning over the region to the multinational forces led by Poland, Marine battalion commanders were given extraordinary powers to oversee Iraqi regions, called governates. The lieutenant colonels controlled police, utilities, education and other government services, negotiating with local Iraqi officials.

But that was then.

"The problem is the environment of Iraq today is very different than the environment they left a few months ago," Garrett said. "It will be interesting to see if they adapt."

Michael O'Hanlon, an analyst with the Washington-based Brookings Institution, said the Marines have experience in counter-insurgency warfare – valuable experience in an Iraq besieged by guerrilla actions against coalition troops.

O'Hanlon cautioned that the Marines have too few civil affairs personnel who are experts in government services, policing and cultural relations. Compared to the Army, the Marines also are light on military police units.

He and Garrett said the Marines probably should emphasize urban warfare and cultural training in the months before the local troops ship out in spring. Both will be important in the continuing search for insurgents, Saddam Hussein and lasting peace.

Peace has been an elusive commodity. In the past five weeks, at least 62 U.S. troops have been killed in Iraq, many of them within the Sunni Triangle.

But security in the region the Marines will be taking over is improving and it could be a much safer place when the Marines get there, said Loren Thompson, chief operating officer for the Lexington Institute, a public policy think tank.

"There is good news in what is going on there," Thompson said. "The situation is improving fairly rapidly, and is not as bad as many environments that the Marines have entered."

But it is not all good news, he said. For example, intelligence on the ground has been poor.

"No one can really tell you who is attacking us," Thompson said. "We don't have a good grasp on who the enemy is and their strategy for attacking us. We know that in the end we have to kill them, but finding them is the problem."

"My guess is that the Marines will see violence that isn't as bad as people fear," Thompson said.

Sparrowhawk
11-18-03, 09:06 AM
It brings back too many memories, of greeting the villager by day, and having to shot at him by night.

SemperFiGirl79
11-18-03, 11:06 AM
Well...

My fiance' just got back in May. Now he might have to go back?!
Makes me just want to scream....!!!!!

TheJester
11-18-03, 05:46 PM
(Young and Dumb :) )... So, of course I'm all for it.

But my question is who is this Thompson to tell the Marines what they will and will not face in Iraq?

0811IraqVet
11-18-03, 07:10 PM
I will be retruning to Iraq again and I think that the only way to stop all this is to go after the countries (Syria) that contain these terrorists. They are distracting us in Iraq and are growing in other countries to do God knows what in the future. The war on terrorism will never be over, but seeking them out will make it allot easier for us to do our jobs in other countries.

SheWolf
12-01-03, 11:44 AM
my son just got back in the fall and will be going back early next year,, I am not happy about it at all, but will support him while he's over there,,,

prayers to all currently there and to those returning:no:

bobpage
12-01-03, 12:45 PM
My round 2 also. I will be leaving a 17 month old and an unborn child. But we are doing this for our kids ability to enjoy what we had a kids. Freedom. So don't to to tear up my statement by giving me 400 reasons why this is not just, and fair. No it is not fair. I have that deep heartwrenching feeling looking at my son and knowing I have to go. But I live to serve my GOD, my family, my country, and my Corps.

S/F

SheWolf
12-01-03, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by bobpage
My round 2 also. I will be leaving a 17 month old and an unborn child. But we are doing this for our kids ability to enjoy what we had a kids. Freedom. So don't to to tear up my statement by giving me 400 reasons why this is not just, and fair. No it is not fair. I have that deep heartwrenching feeling looking at my son and knowing I have to go. But I live to serve my GOD, my family, my country, and my Corps.

S/F

I will add you to my prayer list,,,,,
my son's biggest "thing" is the time he is missing with his daughter, but he understands that he is doing what he signed up to do,,, I as a retired military person also understand, but as a mom I still wish he didn't have to go back,,,,, if that makes any sense

radio relay
12-01-03, 04:14 PM
I just want to express my deepest gratitude, and say "Thank You" to each and every one of you who are either redeploying, or going over for the first time. I am very very gratefull that such fine young people as yourselves exist today. People who have the sense of duty and responsibility to protect our great nation, and our way of life. You are the finest and the best we have to offer. I will pray for you all, and grieve for each loss!

To the Mothers, and Fathers, Wives, and families of these young Marines. Please know that you are not alone in your concern for your loved ones. There are so many of us here in the heartland of America who feel deeply for your sacrifice, and truly appreciate your loss of companionship, and join you in praying for their safe return.

I do not say this lightly. My Father was a three war Veteran (WWII, Korea, and Vietnam), and I can tell you from my own experience that I know the empty ache in the heart each and every day he was away from us. We went through it as well, with my sister, who delivered two babies while her husband served three tours in Vietnam. I also served a tour in Vietnam, as a Marine. Although my own family did not get through it completely unscathed, we did make it. You all will, too.

For the rest of your lives it will be your greatest source of pride that you stepped forward and answered your nation's call when you were needed.

God Bless and keep each and every one of you!!!!

Semper Fidelis