PDA

View Full Version : Should I wait for 03xx?

VicePL
02-27-12, 09:44 PM
I enlisted two weeks ago and got my ship date of 20120827, and just went in today to talk to my recruiter about which MOS' are currently open for that date. I really want to be in the infantry and then if I choose to reenlist I want to try for recon if it would still interest me, but after talking to him he told me that there is basically no shot of any infantry spots opening up in that time frame. So I was wondering should I ask him to maybe move my ship date back (if that's at all possible), or should I just go with my top choices of what's open which are either parachute rigger or Motor T and then Lat move into 03xx after two years?

Omegaham
02-28-12, 03:30 AM
Here's some information for you - it is close to impossible to lat move into another MOS unless you're re-upping. And even then, it's only to fields that are high in demand. Lat-moving to air traffic control, EOD, or UAV operator? Go for it, they need all the bodies they can get. Lat-moving to infantry? You might as well throw your paperwork in the trash. There's no point in having people lat-move into an MOS that thousands of kids want to enlist into.

If you want infantry, tell your recruiter you want infantry. Otherwise, you're going to end up with another job. It's definitely a good idea to take a look at your options, though. For all you know, you might be really into being a parachute rigger. But if you really, really want infantry, don't sign anything until you're promised in writing, in your contract, that you're going infantry.

VicePL
02-28-12, 06:52 PM
I remember hearing that different recruiting stations have different job openings at different times, should I maybe visit some of the other stations and see if they have anything open for infantry? After thinking about it today when I met with my recruiter I really can't see myself doing anything other than infantry and being content with myself. They are also trying to rush me to choose something by Friday, and they said that once it gets closer to my ship date 'they'll see what they can do' about moving my ship date later and even then infantry wouldn't be guaranteed..

Radiofantry
02-29-12, 12:12 AM
Don't let them rush you. Don't let them "see what they can do". If you want to be a grunt, stand your ground and tell them you want to be a grunt and you will wait until an 03 slot opens up.

Keep in mind, also, that 03's are both grunts and MPs, so if you want to be in a line company that's going to be a different enlistment option than the 03 option that can send you to security forces.

Anyway, this is your life that we're talking about here, at least the next 4 years and possibly the next 20+, so if you are dead set on Marine Infantry then you shouldn't mind waiting a few more months for something to open up.

Do some soul searching, research other MOS's, and make the decision that you want to make. Everything else will fall into place.