PDA

View Full Version : Question on shaving stuff

KeNnETT
02-06-12, 10:42 AM
Hello Marines,

I have been shaving with a straight razor for sometime now and I know in Recruit training I will not be allowed to continue this but was wondering when I go to my school if I would be allowed to continue.

Thank you again Marines, you've been very helpful

jp2usmc
02-06-12, 11:09 AM
You mean like one of these?

Seems a little old fashioned.

http://www.swordsswords.com/ProductImages/s/Traditional_Shaving_Razor_mu-1070-2.jpg

jp2usmc
02-06-12, 11:11 AM
-Helpful posts only-

LCpl Yonkers

KeNnETT
02-06-12, 11:41 AM
You mean like one of these?

Seems a little old fashioned.

http://www.swordsswords.com/ProductImages/s/Traditional_Shaving_Razor_mu-1070-2.jpg

Yes sir, however mine is a Dovo Brand. No better shave then a straight razor shave

afraziaaaa
02-06-12, 11:44 AM
Hello Marines,

I have been shaving with a straight razor for sometime now and I know in Recruit training I will not be allowed to continue this but was wondering when I go to my school if I would be allowed to continue.

Thank you again Marines, you've been very helpful

Blades longer than 3 inches are not allowed in the barracks as a general rule.

I have to know, why are you asking this question?

KeNnETT
02-06-12, 11:50 AM
Blades longer than 3 inches are not allowed in the barracks as a general rule.

I have to know, why are you asking this question?

I stopped wasting money on the Mach3 razors (and after a while can get expensive) and invested in straight razor shaving. The the intial cost of it was expensive (around $300) and should (as long as maintained) can last me 5-10 years without replacement. I would like to bring my straight razor set (the things I included in the original post) with me to the MOS school.

Shaving with a straight razor you can get closer than you can with safety razors, there is less waste and to me is a very valuable skill. I didn't know if there was a rule or anything not allowing me to use one or if other Marines have heard of people not being allowed to bring theirs.

My blade is not longer then 3", so thank you.

afraziaaaa
02-06-12, 11:55 AM
I stopped wasting money on the Mach3 razors (and after a while can get expensive) and invested in straight razor shaving. The the intial cost of it was expensive (around $300) and should (as long as maintained) can last me 5-10 years without replacement. I would like to bring my straight razor set (the things I included in the original post) with me to the MOS school.

Shaving with a straight razor you can get closer than you can with safety razors, there is less waste and to me is a very valuable skill. I didn't know if there was a rule or anything not allowing me to use one or if other Marines have heard of people not being allowed to bring theirs.

My blade is not longer then 3", so thank you.

Very well then. Have someone in your family mail your shaving kit to you once you get to MOS school. Even though your blade is "in-regs" don't be suprised if some senior ranking Marine wants to spoil your fun because he or she deems your practice unsafe. Shouldn't happen, but is possible.

KeNnETT
02-06-12, 11:57 AM
Very well then. Have someone in your family mail your shaving kit to you once you get to MOS school. Even though your blade is "in-regs" don't be suprised if some senior ranking Marine wants to spoil your fun because he or she deems your practice unsafe. Shouldn't happen, but is possible.

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

jp2usmc
02-06-12, 12:26 PM
+1. Basically, just ask your platoon sergeant when you get to MOS school.

SHOW HIM A PICTURE - least he think you're talking about the razor in my 2nd pic.

If he gives you the OK, have a family member mail it out to you. It would fit into a flat rate box, so shipping should be under $10.

$300? Damn. That's a lot of disposables! My wife bought me two packs of those Gillette disposable razor refills (20 blades in each) back when we were dating. I've been using those almost 10 years now. I don't even think they make that razor anymore.

KeNnETT
02-06-12, 12:44 PM
+1. Basically, just ask your platoon sergeant when you get to MOS school.

SHOW HIM A PICTURE - least he think you're talking about the razor in my 2nd pic.

If he gives you the OK, have a family member mail it out to you. It would fit into a flat rate box, so shipping should be under $10.

$300? Damn. That's a lot of disposables! My wife bought me two packs of those Gillette disposable razor refills (20 blades in each) back when we were dating. I've been using those almost 10 years now. I don't even think they make that razor anymore.

Thank you for the advice.

Lol yes it is a lot of money, but honestly it's kinda a joy to shave. Once you shave with a badger brush and all the bells and whistles, it really is kinda a treat. It makes shaving much more enjoyable

Old Marine
02-06-12, 08:39 PM
Thank you for the advice.

Lol yes it is a lot of money, but honestly it's kinda a joy to shave. Once you shave with a badger brush and all the bells and whistles, it really is kinda a treat. It makes shaving much more enjoyable

I assume you have a strap. My father used a straight razor his whole life and never used anything else. He had around 3 or 4 different straight razors that he used. Never tried one myself.

KeNnETT
02-06-12, 09:27 PM
I assume you have a strap. My father used a straight razor his whole life and never used anything else. He had around 3 or 4 different straight razors that he used. Never tried one myself.

Yes I have the strop (leather strap). I only have 1 razor, working on my others

SGT7477
02-07-12, 05:49 PM
That's for a close shave,lol,Semper Fidelis.

Radiofantry
02-08-12, 03:35 AM
What is your MOS going to be? Some MOS schools have more restrictions than others.

My opinion though would be that this is a situation where it is better to seek forgiveness than ask permission. Once you're settled into your MOS school have the razor mailed out to you and keep it put away during Field Days and things like that. No one will ever question you if you aren't a dumbass running around with your Sweeney Todd razor flailing in the wind.

KeNnETT
02-08-12, 09:39 AM
What is your MOS going to be? Some MOS schools have more restrictions than others.

My opinion though would be that this is a situation where it is better to seek forgiveness than ask permission. Once you're settled into your MOS school have the razor mailed out to you and keep it put away during Field Days and things like that. No one will ever question you if you aren't a dumbass running around with your Sweeney Todd razor flailing in the wind.

I signed an Intel contract. I appreciate the advice and was one I was leaning to from the beginning. Thank you

Sgt Leprechaun
02-08-12, 11:44 PM
Impressive, something I always wanted to try.

Years ago, I knew multiple Marines who did this, wasn't an issue. Shouldn't be for you either, once your NCO's realize you aren't some sort of whack job LOL. Do as the others suggested.

SGT7477
02-09-12, 11:23 AM
Impressive, something I always wanted to try.

Years ago, I knew multiple Marines who did this, wasn't an issue. Shouldn't be for you either, once your NCO's realize you aren't some sort of whack job LOL. Do as the others suggested.
Lmfao,Semper Fidelis.:D