PDA

View Full Version : Air Traffic Controller questions

jmart1983
02-05-12, 11:27 PM
Hello Marines,

I'm about as old as you can be for a poolee at 28. I signed an AJ contract which basically encompasses air traffic control and UAV operation. I have no idea if I'll do my 5 year term of enlistment or make a career out of the Marine Corps. I have been doing some research that says the maximum age to become an FAA Controller is 31, but there are some exceptions for applicants with a previous military background. I'm just curious if anyone out there has any knowledge or personal experience with this. Thanks in advance.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-05-12, 11:41 PM
Wish I could help, but just wanted to wish good luck. If there is an exception for military then you could certainly qualify in that regard. FAA would much rather hire folks with prior ATC experience, that much I do know.

MOS4429
02-06-12, 12:26 PM
Will PM a guy who I believe is in this field. Maybe he can help.

Matlock09
02-06-12, 04:36 PM
Also be aware you could be put in a job unrelated to ATC with an AJ contract.

jmart1983
02-06-12, 08:16 PM
Also be aware you could be put in a job unrelated to ATC with an AJ contract.

Yes sir, well aware of that. Just doing a little research here and there. It seems I may have answered my own question. It looks like past the age of 31 the only options for ATC are non FAA towers and DOD stuff. The only way to get passed the 31 year old age barrier is to retire any branch of the military. THEN there is a program that you can be qualified for.

Conch
02-06-12, 08:21 PM
Will PM a guy who I believe is in this field. Maybe he can help.

I'm that guy :marine: I spent my whole career in the Corps in ATC, now I work as an ATCer at the Key West Airport.

Anyway, ATC is a great field to get into, I highly recommend it. Plus it's a career field that can easily transfer into the civilian world. This country is desperate for ATC'ers right now.

I do have to warn you, it is a very stressful job though, Military or Civilian. You don't get bored at all, because you are constantly on the go with this job. You need to be able to make split second decisions just like that. A single mistake or slip-up can mean the difference between life or death.

As long as you qualify regarding aptitude scores when you took the ASVAB and your record is clean you shouldn't have a problem. I do recommend however that you swing over to an MCAS if possible and talk to the ATC NCOIC to get a tour to take a day to listen in to get an idea as to what the job is all about. You also have to be able to obtain a secret security clearance as well.

Like I said, there are times that you are so busy that you can't do anything else but talk to your airplane providing them instructions and giving them headings, because it gets so congested. So the less time that you have to spend talking on the phone the more time you have to focus on the aircraft means the safer it's going to be. The more focus you put on the aircraft, the faster you get it to its destination and you are going to be able to provide them with better service. Your primary purpose and the code by which you live by in ATC is to prevent a mid-air or on-the-ground collision and organize and expedite the flow of traffic.

But beware, because like Matlock said, you might not get ATC with an AJ contract.

Good luck with everything.

S/F,
Blake (Conch) :usmc:

MOS4429
02-07-12, 10:54 AM
I'm that guy :marine:

Thanks, Blake.

Semper fi.

:flag:

Conch
02-07-12, 01:31 PM
Thanks, Blake.

Semper fi.

:flag:

:thumbup:

Conch
02-07-12, 01:51 PM
You should see Conch try to control the political traffic in Political Forum, though. That's a losing battle. LOL.

Lol I'll win the battle someday.