PDA

View Full Version : Info on enlisting as well as MOS 5811

JSztein
01-28-12, 05:52 PM
Dear Marines,

I'm currently enrolled at Florida State University and have been involved with the OSO in Tallahassee however I've been informed by one of the NCO's at the office that the selection boards aren't taking anyone in the next couple of months from the southeast region. My main goal is to become a Marine which is why I am currently looking into enlisting. I want your Marines opinion on how easy it is to get the MOS 5811 and what being an MP entails. Your knowledge is much appreciated.

Zulu 36
01-28-12, 07:04 PM
Dear Marines,

I'm currently enrolled at Florida State University and have been involved with the OSO in Tallahassee however I've been informed by one of the NCO's at the office that the selection boards aren't taking anyone in the next couple of months from the southeast region. My main goal is to become a Marine which is why I am currently looking into enlisting. I want your guys' opinion on how easy it is to get the MOS 5811 and what being an MP entails. Your knowledge is much appreciated.

Your profile says that you are 18, so you should have plenty of time to work your way through the officer selection process.

As to 5811, first try Google and this site's search function. I know the MP topic has been covered many times since I've posted on them.

Also, you cannot enlist on active duty for a specific MOS, but for an MOS field, such as 5800. However, the 5811 MOS does predominate in the 5800 field.

JSztein
01-28-12, 10:01 PM
Thank you sir,

It's a lot to think about. Being at school right now is fun but there's something missing. Should I choose to enlist or stick with the OCS route I know I will have made the right decision because becoming a Marine is undoubtedly a position that I know I will be making some sort of difference no matter how small. One more question, is there an advantage of going in as a PFC? I know many recruits graduate from MCRD as a PFC and I was just wondering if that put them in a better position.

Zulu 36
01-29-12, 07:26 AM
Thank you sir,

It's a lot to think about. Being at school right now is fun but there's something missing. Should I choose to enlist or stick with the OCS route I know I will have made the right decision because becoming a Marine is undoubtedly a position that I know I will be making some sort of difference no matter how small. One more question, is there an advantage of going in as a PFC? I know many recruits graduate from MCRD as a PFC and I was just wondering if that put them in a better position.

The advantage of being a PFC is this: you get more money than a Private for the same work. PFC=Perfect For Cleaning.

Personally, I'd stick with the college and keep working on the officer route. If it looks like you won't be accepted into an officer program (PLC or OCC), then enlist - but graduate from college first before going to boot camp.

Sure, having the degree gives you contract PFC, but it also gives you a slightly better shot at applying for a commission after you develop a positive track record as an enlisted Marine since the degree part is out of the way.