PDA

View Full Version : Is now a good time..

JWRevels
01-26-12, 09:07 PM
I am 23 years old, and currently work with my local police department. I have 2 years under my belt. I have always had the highest respect for our great military, but especially The Marine Corps. My 17 year nephew is enlisting next year after graduation, & I have been flirting with the idea of The Reserves. I live about 2 hours from Camp Lejune. I enjoy my job in law enforcement, & my Chief fully supports the military, as well as The Reserves. (A fellow officer is in the guard) with talks of cutbacks, is now a good time to enlist in the reserves? I have a strong desire to join, & regret I didn't join fresh out of high school. Being close in age with my nephew, I have helped him decide that The Marines is the best move he can make for his future. Any input & opinions are welcome

devilbones2
01-27-12, 02:38 AM
You can either do it now or regret it later. You can always earn more money, but one thing you can never get back is time. Good luck with whatever path you choose.

m14ed
01-27-12, 03:15 AM
You can either do it now or regret it later. You can always earn more money, but one thing you can never get back is time. Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Don't think it can be said any easier??????????????????

Good Luck

afraziaaaa
01-27-12, 07:57 AM
I am 23 years old, and currently work with my local police department. I have 2 years under my belt. I have always had the highest respect for our great military, but especially The Marine Corps. My 17 year nephew is enlisting next year after graduation, & I have been flirting with the idea of The Reserves. I live about 2 hours from Camp Lejune. I enjoy my job in law enforcement, & my Chief fully supports the military, as well as The Reserves. (A fellow officer is in the guard) with talks of cutbacks, is now a good time to enlist in the reserves? I have a strong desire to join, & regret I didn't join fresh out of high school. Being close in age with my nephew, I have helped him decide that The Marines is the best move he can make for his future. Any input & opinions are welcome

Sounds like you already know what you want to do. Why wouldn't it be a good time?

Nichols
01-27-12, 09:46 AM
If you want to go, talk to a recruiter and get the ball rolling. They are making cutbacks but they'll always need new people to fill in for those that are getting out. Join now if you want to join.

MOS4429
01-27-12, 12:30 PM
"I have a strong desire to join, & regret I didn't join fresh out of high school. Being close in age with my nephew, I have helped him decide that The Marines is the best move he can make for his future. Any input & opinions are welcome."

You have a strong desire to join.

You regret you did not do so earlier.

You told your nephew it was the "best" thing HE could do for HIS future.

What's holding you back? You are.

My opinion and comment: Go see a recruiter.

TheReservist
01-27-12, 06:24 PM
Despite the drawdown of the total force, there have been talks about expanding the reserves mission. I know that they mobilize reservists to train militaries in eastern europe and africa.

Also, there was talk by the Commandant to make a law enforcement battalion which would utilize members of the reserves who had law enforcement experience as they have been vital in PTT (Police transition teams) throughout the world. It's also cheaper then the LEP (law enforcement professional) who is a civi that can work with Marines.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/10/marine-reserve-future-training-growth-101011/

JWRevels
01-30-12, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have talked to a recruiter (along with my nephew). How are the promotions in the reserves? Sgt. Rohr, the recruiter I spoke with advised me I would be able to enlist as an E-2 due to my college credits.