PDA

View Full Version : Marines, what civilian careers have you had after the Corps?

Silverain
01-16-12, 10:24 PM
I am just curious as to what MOS's you Marines had and what civilian careers you have had to see how they translate over to the civilian world; or if it didn't. Just out of curiosity. Thanks.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-16-12, 11:22 PM
Hmmmm......

Police officer, (All forms of it, from line copper to Detective/Investigator, Accident Investigations, Hostage Negotiator, Sex Crimes, Bike patrol, Field Training officer, Academy instructor etc)

Private Investigator

Editorial Columnist

Battlefield tour guide

Historical consultant/Instructor on Marine Corps topics

Logistics Chief

911 Dispatcher

Security Chief/Supervisor

Military collectibles dealer

Actor

Website moderator :)

I think that's about it, or all I can think of. Now, not all of these are/were full time. Some I'm still doing.

MOS:

0311, 9962, 0231, 2531 (USMC)

DanTheMan B
01-16-12, 11:26 PM
I worked as a Security Guard for a little while after I got out.

Now I'm a Corrections Officer with the Maricopa County Jail System (Sheriff Joe Arpaio's jails to be exact).

All while I'm working on my psychology degree so I can hopefully get a job with the VA or some other organization helping my fellow veterans and counseling them some day.

Silverain
01-16-12, 11:54 PM
Hmmmm......

Police officer, (All forms of it, from line copper to Detective/Investigator, Accident Investigations, Hostage Negotiator, Sex Crimes, Bike patrol, Field Training officer, Academy instructor etc)

Private Investigator

Editorial Columnist

Battlefield tour guide

Historical consultant/Instructor on Marine Corps topics

Logistics Chief

911 Dispatcher

Security Chief/Supervisor

Military collectibles dealer

Actor

Website moderator :)

I think that's about it, or all I can think of. Now, not all of these are/were full time. Some I'm still doing.

MOS:

0311, 9962, 0231, 2531 (USMC)
Wow, you certainly have quite some experience haha. What is a Battlefield tour guide? Military collectables dealer sounds really cool too; and website moderator. ;)

Silverain
01-16-12, 11:55 PM
I worked as a Security Guard for a little while after I got out.

Now I'm a Corrections Officer with the Maricopa County Jail System (Sheriff Joe Arpaio's jails to be exact).

All while I'm working on my psychology degree so I can hopefully get a job with the VA or some other organization helping my fellow veterans and counseling them some day.
How is it being a Corrections Officer? That is actually something I have considered going into.

DanTheMan B
01-17-12, 12:13 AM
How is it being a Corrections Officer? That is actually something I have considered going into.

It's not bad. Has it's ups and downs. You just gotta take it in stride, especially when you get hurled insults by the prisoners haha.

Oh yeah and my MOS in the Corps was 0311.

Silverain
01-17-12, 12:17 AM
It's not bad. Has it's ups and downs. You just gotta take it in stride, especially when you get hurled insults by the prisoners haha.

Oh yeah and my MOS in the Corps was 0311.
Haha nice. I saw this television show about Correctional Officers and they called these guys who were wearing full pads who ran into the cell and took this guy down. Are they Correctional Officers too? Or a different group?

DanTheMan B
01-17-12, 12:25 AM
Haha nice. I saw this television show about Correctional Officers and they called these guys who were wearing full pads who ran into the cell and took this guy down. Are they Correctional Officers too? Or a different group?

If it's what I'm thinking of, then yeah they are. They just have more specialized training.

Silverain
01-17-12, 12:47 AM
If it's what I'm thinking of, then yeah they are. They just have more specialized training.
Oh I see. Good luck with your degree and becoming a counselor.:)

DanTheMan B
01-17-12, 12:53 AM
Oh I see. Good luck with your degree and becoming a counselor.:)

Thanks.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-17-12, 01:01 AM
I did/do guided tours of Civil War battlefields. Last year was Manassas for the most part, but I've done Antietam, Gettysburg, Fredericksburg and some others. Great pay but spotty work to be sure. You basically talk and entertain people for 6-8 hours as you tramp over hill and dale. Tour depends on the group, some people want tactics, other people want war stories of the men who fought, others want a mix. Last ones I did were for Ken Burns. (Yes, that Ken Burns).

I've been a military collector/dealer for most of my life. More of a collector than a dealer now but I still dabble to pay for my hobby.

I'm the Chief Moderator HERE LOL. Have been for a few years now. NOT the boss though. Just a high level minion. :) And no, there is no pay.

SemperGumby8621
01-17-12, 01:08 AM
I was 2531 radio operator and 8621v remote sensor operator. Got out and did security for a bit. Worked on the railroad as a brakeman, conductor , locomotive engineer and yard master. I am now a Police Officer. I've worked plain clothes Detective handling narcotics and major crime. Also on a regional SWAT team. I was hired by my PD just due to my USMC background. No college at all.

Zulu 36
01-17-12, 06:11 AM
As a Marine, I was 3531, truck driver; then 5811, military police; and 0411, embarkation assistant. In the Air National Guard, I was in security police. I retired as a MSgt (E-7).

In the civilian world, I started with a little security officer work, then became a federal police officer. Afterward I became a municipal police officer, and like Sgt Lep, I worked in multiple positions. I retired as the deputy chief.

Since then I've been involved with my kids and in Scouting. I co-owned a graphics company for a while. Went to college and got two masters degrees.

Since then I've been primarily an autodidact and play at being a moderator here at LN.com. I work for Sgt Lep and he is a slave driver. He did promise me a 10% pay raise, but on top of $0, that doesn't add up to much. :D

Silverain
01-17-12, 08:10 AM
I did/do guided tours of Civil War battlefields. Last year was Manassas for the most part, but I've done Antietam, Gettysburg, Fredericksburg and some others. Great pay but spotty work to be sure. You basically talk and entertain people for 6-8 hours as you tramp over hill and dale. Tour depends on the group, some people want tactics, other people want war stories of the men who fought, others want a mix. Last ones I did were for Ken Burns. (Yes, that Ken Burns).

I've been a military collector/dealer for most of my life. More of a collector than a dealer now but I still dabble to pay for my hobby.

I'm the Chief Moderator HERE LOL. Have been for a few years now. NOT the boss though. Just a high level minion. :) And no, there is no pay.
Sounds like a good gig.

I don't really have any old military pieces, just a WWII bayonet.

Hahaha, well hopefully you can "rank up" in moderator status. ;)

Silverain
01-17-12, 08:12 AM
I was 2531 radio operator and 8621v remote sensor operator. Got out and did security for a bit. Worked on the railroad as a brakeman, conductor , locomotive engineer and yard master. I am now a Police Officer. I've worked plain clothes Detective handling narcotics and major crime. Also on a regional SWAT team. I was hired by my PD just due to my USMC background. No college at all.
Wow I didn't know they look at it like that. Were you picked for SWAT or you applied?

Silverain
01-17-12, 08:16 AM
As a Marine, I was 3531, truck driver; then 5811, military police; and 0411, embarkation assistant. In the Air National Guard, I was in security police. I retired as a MSgt (E-7).

In the civilian world, I started with a little security officer work, then became a federal police officer. Afterward I became a municipal police officer, and like Sgt Lep, I worked in multiple positions. I retired as the deputy chief.

Since then I've been involved with my kids and in Scouting. I co-owned a graphics company for a while. Went to college and got two masters degrees.

Since then I've been primarily an autodidact and play at being a moderator here at LN.com. I work for Sgt Lep and he is a slave driver. He did promise me a 10% pay raise, but on top of $0, that doesn't add up to much. :D
Yea alot of people on here seem to have joined the Police force. Grats on the raise!:scared:

Silverain
01-17-12, 08:18 AM
I'm the one who PUT you in for that big raise, Chris.

2571, now 2621, Morse Code Intercept Operator---best job I ever had, but does not translate well into the civilian world except for one particular government agency....so I ended up as trial attorney inner-city courts of Boston, a wonderful job where you get to meet plenty of very very nice people Monday through Friday. LOL.
-And you did that for how long? :scared:

SGT7477
01-17-12, 08:22 AM
0811, truckdriver, manager of a fuel and oil business, heavy equipment operator, bar room bouncer,lol,Semper Fidelis.

Silverain
01-17-12, 09:16 AM
0811, truckdriver, manager of a fuel and oil business, heavy equipment operator, bar room bouncer,lol,Semper Fidelis.

I saw Roadhouse, and that's my only reference. Lol.

SGT7477
01-17-12, 09:27 AM
I saw Roadhouse, and that's my only reference. Lol.
When you are smaller that's how you carry yourself, damn good show,lol, oh chit I have been an auto mechanic for years,Semper Fidelis.:D

ggyoung
01-17-12, 10:43 AM
0811/0812, underground coal miner and farmer.

MOS4429
01-17-12, 11:15 AM
I enlisted for avionics/electronics. The Marine Corps gave me legal services in boot camp. They then gave me a choice between the two. I had a D.I. who highly recommended legal, told me to bust my butt in MOS school and get selected to the next for 7 months. Told me then to bust my butt in the field and there was a program the Marine Corps had where they would send me to college. I took his advice and went legal.

Initially was a notereader/transcriber and typed courts-martial from stenographic notes. Then went to college for 2 years (the program my D.I. talked about), and was a court reporter from '83-87. Got out in August '87 and have worked as a court reporter ever since. (As you know, I also coach, but that is nonpaying.)

awbrown1462
01-17-12, 11:19 AM
Security Guard, Landscape worker for CalTrans, Computer drafter for Caltrans, moved to Ky worked at wal-mart, then computer drafter for a mill work and now Goverment worker on Ft Knox

DrZ
01-17-12, 01:14 PM
6211/6217/6616/6619/ and others in the Aviation electronics field I no longer remember.

After EAS, I went back to university and changed my major from finance to Electrical Engineering. Finished my BS and got a job as an engineer to support my university and family habit. Been in engineering ever since

Silverain
01-17-12, 04:58 PM
0811/0812, underground coal miner and farmer.
What would you farm underground??

Silverain
01-17-12, 04:59 PM
I enlisted for avionics/electronics. The Marine Corps gave me legal services in boot camp. They then gave me a choice between the two. I had a D.I. who highly recommended legal, told me to bust my butt in MOS school and get selected to the next for 7 months. Told me then to bust my butt in the field and there was a program the Marine Corps had where they would send me to college. I took his advice and went legal.

Initially was a notereader/transcriber and typed courts-martial from stenographic notes. Then went to college for 2 years (the program my D.I. talked about), and was a court reporter from '83-87. Got out in August '87 and have worked as a court reporter ever since. (As you know, I also coach, but that is nonpaying.)
How is the pay for a court reporter?

Silverain
01-17-12, 05:02 PM
Security Guard, Landscape worker for CalTrans, Computer drafter for Caltrans, moved to Ky worked at wal-mart, then computer drafter for a mill work and now Goverment worker on Ft Knox
A lot of people on here have gone security it seems. -And Police Officer.

Silverain
01-17-12, 05:04 PM
6211/6217/6616/6619/ and others in the Aviation electronics field I no longer remember.

After EAS, I went back to university and changed my major from finance to Electrical Engineering. Finished my BS and got a job as an engineer to support my university and family habit. Been in engineering ever since
Sounds quite successful. A good friend of mine is looking into engineering as well. Also on a sidenote, I think I have seen you on Y!Answers before, unless it is somebody with the same username who is a Marine...

Zulu 36
01-17-12, 05:16 PM

Mushrooms and Marine recruits.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-17-12, 05:24 PM

Aww, now I'll have to promise EVERYone that! And I could be a freakin thirty star general as a mod and still make what Zulu does....what I make now LOL.

Consider me a 'jack of all trades' renassiance Leprechaun.

Silverain
01-17-12, 05:40 PM
Ok now I know there's something nobody is telling me haha

SGT7477
01-17-12, 06:05 PM
:D:D:D,Semper Fidelis.

Silverain
01-17-12, 06:17 PM
:D:D:D,Semper Fidelis.
If anyone wants to explain I'm all ears, well, eyes I guess.

Phantom Blooper
01-17-12, 06:30 PM
Soldier of Fortune.....

SGT7477
01-17-12, 07:28 PM
Chuck,SSgt Phantom Blooper,lmfao,Semper Fidelis.:D

Silverain
01-17-12, 07:35 PM
Chuck,SSgt Phantom Blooper,lmfao,Semper Fidelis.:D
:confused:

SGT7477
01-17-12, 07:54 PM
:confused:
I'll have to laugh myself to sleep,lmfao,Good Night,Semper Fidelis.:flag:

jrhd97
01-17-12, 10:45 PM
0311/3521. Worked on tractor trailers, sold cars, sold insurance and now drive truck.

Tennessee Top
01-17-12, 10:49 PM
0193: Admin Chief

8156: Marine Security Guard (had two job offers in civilian industrial security but passed them up as I was in respiratory therapy school at the time).

8015: Enlisted with college degree (graduated from Southern Illinois University as a SSgt on active duty using tuition assistance; BS in aviation management but never worked a day in it).

After retiring from active duty with 22.6 years service in 1995, used my GI bill and went back to school full time. Have been a respiratory therapist since 1998 here at the University of Tennessee Medical Center. This medical career does not correlate to my aviation management degree or anything I did in the USMC (obviously). Will retire from the state of TN on my 60th birthday, June 1st 2013 (not that I'm counting the days or anything) with 15 years service.

Zulu 36
01-18-12, 04:51 AM

You're getting your leg pulled in a friendly fashion. The light bulb will probably come on in boot camp. You seem to have a good sense of humor, so it's being taken advantage of. Typical Marines.

That sense of humor will serve you well in the Corps.

DrZ
01-18-12, 07:09 AM
Sounds quite successful. A good friend of mine is looking into engineering as well. Also on a sidenote, I think I have seen you on Y!Answers before, unless it is somebody with the same username who is a Marine...

It was probably me. I answer questions there concerning the military and much more specifically the Marine Corps.

Natadog
01-18-12, 12:17 PM
I was a 2531 Field Radio Operator in the Corps, now I work for Cox Communications, I was an FSR, then Plant, now I work in the office monitoring the network.

Silverain
01-18-12, 04:58 PM
You're getting your leg pulled in a friendly fashion. The light bulb will probably come on in boot camp. You seem to have a good sense of humor, so it's being taken advantage of. Typical Marines.

That sense of humor will serve you well in the Corps.
Oh that makes more sense!:nerd:

Silverain
01-18-12, 05:00 PM
0193: Admin Chief

8156: Marine Security Guard (had two job offers in civilian industrial security but passed them up as I was in respiratory therapy school at the time).

8015: Enlisted with college degree (graduated from Southern Illinois University as a SSgt on active duty using tuition assistance; BS in aviation management but never worked a day in it).

After retiring from active duty with 22.6 years service in 1995, used my GI bill and went back to school full time. Have been a respiratory therapist since 1998 here at the University of Tennessee Medical Center. This medical career does not correlate to my aviation management degree or anything I did in the USMC (obviously). Will retire from the state of TN on my 60th birthday, June 1st 2013 (not that I'm counting the days or anything) with 15 years service.
Nice plan. Sounds similar to what one of my family members is doing. He is 62 now I believe, keeps saying he is going to retire but he always wants to work.

cubawatcher
01-18-12, 06:52 PM
I was 6613 fire control tech.spent 28 years working for the Bell system various jobs.My electronics training in the Corps helped me get and do the job.My younger brother had same MOS worked on A6s as fire control tech.Worked for Bell also for 30 years.

CalahanD
01-19-12, 03:16 PM
I am an 0331 infantry Machine Gunner and was able to get a Private Contracting job

Rocky C
01-19-12, 03:37 PM
Private Detective/Bounty Hunter/Bodyguard/Soldier of Fortune...

Silverain
01-19-12, 03:46 PM
I am an 0331 infantry Machine Gunner and was able to get a Private Contracting job
Did you enjoy Private Contracting?

CalahanD
01-19-12, 04:00 PM
i still have a little left in the corps. just went ahead and got accepted for the job. i will let you know

Silverain
01-19-12, 09:02 PM
i still have a little left in the corps. just went ahead and got accepted for the job. i will let you know
Please do.

03Mike
01-20-12, 12:17 PM
I was an infantry officer - 0302

I worked in manufacturing for a while, ran a distribution center and eventually a manufacturing plant (not that different from running an infantry unit - hired a lot of former NCOs and reservists), but eventually grew tired of manufacturing and translated my ambitions into working in higher education (univeristy staff).

Skills that translate to the civilian world:

1. Planning ability -- identify a desired end state, assess the situation, develop a plan to reach that goal / end state, identify and allocate resources necessary, identify essential and supporting tasks (scheme of maneuver and fire support plan), establish phases (plan of action and milestones), issue instructions, coordinate support, facilitate communications, solicit input, modify / adjust tasks as the plan progresses.

2. Supervisory skills - delegate tasks to those that can handle them, think/plan two or three steps ahead to arrange support when needed - ensure understanding, coordinate communications, etc.

3. Decision making abilities - assess the situation, develop courses of action, select the best one, decide, issue instructions, and act. Craft a solution and work within whatever limitations are placed upon you.

4. Ability to accept responsibility - praise your team when things go well, take the heat yourself when they don't.

5. Leadership - motivate, hire, train, set the example, support, orient, decide, guide, maintain the details, fund, and incorporate lessons learned.

Most of those skills are rare in the civilian world - and they are not just the provence of infanrymen.

Old Marine
01-20-12, 02:56 PM
Spent my whole tweny years in the Corps as a 3041 Supply Administration. Only actually worked in the MOS for about two years.

Had a secondary MOS of 8511 (Drill Instructor) my last 7 years. Trained a lot of privates at MCRD, San Diego during Vietnam.

Upon retirement, I attended Brunswick Pinsetter school in Muskeon, Michigan and worked as a Pinsetter Mechanic in a bowling center for 13 years. Not much need for COD or trained killers out here in the civilion battalion.

SlingerDun
01-20-12, 03:13 PM
Never thought of my primary occupation as a career until after nine years or so of "one foot at a time" I philosophized that occupations {especially jobs} will come and go, but a career sneaks up on you and is much like a treadmill, best chose one or more that you are likely to enjoy; or suffer the long enduring consequences from ~ a life of quiet desperation ~ Thoreau

Once established in a career it's never a bad plan to entertain serious thoughts about an alternative or backup. If you should some day pursue the alternative career, then it's time to begin researching yet another career or source of income. You might have to jump off and get after it in a moments notice! Severance packages are not so common as - A man doing what he's gotta do

Showing up on time and finishing the job stands out as perhaps the most beneficial virtue captured from the Marine Corps

Sgt Leprechaun
01-21-12, 12:09 AM
Hey, Gunny, I'd never heard of a 'pinsetter'. That's actually pretty interesting in some ways.

Old Marine
01-21-12, 04:55 PM
Sgt. Lep: At the school they teach you nothing but what the book says as to how the pinsitter is supposed to to work. To tell the truth, sometimes I repaired pinsetters and to this day I do not know what I did to get them running correctly. Dont know if you have ever been in the back of a bowling center and saw how these thngs work, but sometime if you are near a bowling center, if you go inside and ask to see the pinsetters, the mechanic will usually show you how they operate. A Brunswick pinsetter is completely different from an AMF pinsetter. Been a lot of years since i did this, but it used to be that if you had AMF pinsetters in your center they had to be leased from AMF.

From what I understand, the two men who invented the Brunswick pinsetter are both in a looney hospital, if they are still kicking. I really enjoyed working on these pieces of machinery as they were always a chalange. Preventive maintenance is a must.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-21-12, 06:25 PM
I have, once about a year ago, and the machinery fascinated me (the mechanic did show me how it worked, this is a very old system being used where I work).

I have the utmost respect for those who can not only work on these things, but those who designed and built them.

(Me? I can't nail two pieces of wood together, just don't have the aptitude for it...)

Thanks!

garybloom
01-21-12, 08:25 PM
I started out as a 2531 Field Radio Operator and was assingned to an FO team with India, 3/5. After about six months of humping the radio the Lt I worked for was rotated back to the battery we were assigned to on Hill 65.
I asked him to see if he could get out me of the bush and he said he would see what he could do. I heard back from him and he asked me if I could type and did I want to work in the battery office, I jumped at that. I had my primary MOS changed to admin and stayed in for 9 years.

I worked in retail management for 30 years for a bunch of different companies. Since I left retail I have been working for the post office and plan on retiring at the end of this year.

tgwkreu7
01-21-12, 08:38 PM
i was a school teacher for 30 years 20 years in public and 10 years teaching prison inmates