PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Program.

Shipley
01-14-12, 11:56 PM
Hi,

i am looking for information on the buddy program.

my buddy and me are making the final steps leading to DEP over the next month, and we are thinking about trying for the buddy program. I have researched up and down this site and found one forum on it, but it doesnt state if any requirements need to be met. What my question that i need answered is,

what are the requirements you need to meet to be in the program ?

i know that i guarentees you through boot camp with a buddy, but can it go farther then that ?

i have met with a recruiter multiple times, and will again but not for a month, this is just for pure research and the possablility of getting ahead of the game

thank you,

Aaron

Yonkers
01-15-12, 03:17 AM
From my understanding, the buddy program only requires you to both be qualified for enlistment and have the same ship date obviously(meaning you both went up to MEPS and got into the DEP at the same time).

Beware: Sometimes the buddy program isn't exactly... taken to heart. I've known some people who didn't get in the same platoon and all that for boot. Other then that I don't know much about it... figured it didn't even exist anymore.

Best of luck to ya,

LCpl Yonkers

IHaveEGA843
01-15-12, 06:23 AM
Don't know much on the buddy program but I know there was a few Marines who were in that program and only 1 set ended up in our platoon. The the others would only see their buddies as we passed by each other.

So its a gamble, don't know if its even worth it because if you're split up then the only buddy things you did was go to MEPS and the ride down to Parris Island.

Good luck though, it may work out for y'all.

SGT7477
01-15-12, 10:47 AM
Buddy program is probably alright but in my time you couldn't talk to each other anyway but could maybe watch each other getting thrashed, I was going in on a buddy program but the other person turned chicken,Semper Fidelis.

Shipley
01-15-12, 11:44 AM
Thank you for the response Marines, but was their anything you had to do to buddy up ?

Do you need approval for it ? Or do you just request it, cause im pretty sure they could deny you from it right ?

SGT7477
01-15-12, 07:22 PM
As far as I know just sign up together,Semper Fidelis.

Phantom Blooper
01-15-12, 08:37 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106194&highlight=buddy+program

elliscraig12
01-15-12, 09:19 PM
When I joined in 83 I was asked when I wanted to go to Boot Camp. I told them I wanted to leave with my cousin on the buddy program, they asked what was wrong with leaving the next day. I guess I wasn't fast enough answering cause I left the next day. Not everything is guaranteed.

thewookie
01-15-12, 11:27 PM
I went in with my buddy, awe, back in 91. There was actually 6 guys, 3 pairs of buddies coming out of Boston in our platoon. Our DI's used to have tag team buddy wrestling in the squadbays with us when they were bored. It was fun. We also had buddy beat downs, but I can't talk about that on the internet because it didn't happen, cause DI's do not beat you -- they just get your buddy to do it. :confused:

My buddy and I went to MCT together, then he went 03 and I went to learn how to drive big trucks.

I talked to him earlier today, we are still buddies --awe. :angel:

Good luck, have fun bring a buddy.

Shipley
01-16-12, 12:16 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106194&highlight=buddy+program

I researched the site alot and never saw this thread, sorry.

Thank you Marine's, your help was and is greatly appreciated.

Some questions were left unanswered but that will have to do for now.

Thanks again.