PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite base/deployment that you have been stationed at?

allenl0391
01-10-12, 04:01 PM
I am writing this post to ask all of you Marines, What is your favorite base you have been stationed at or your favorite place you have been deployed? Why did you like it? What is the Pros/Cons of that base? Where there any bases that you hated?

Thanks for your response,
Poolee Lewis

P.S.- I know boot camp should be all of the poolees main focus. I just ask this question for fun and to see all of your opinions.

allenl0391
01-10-12, 04:25 PM
Ahhh. Puerto Rico--2 years there as a Morse Code Intercept Operator, MOS 2571, now it's 2621. Best two years of my life.

I hope you don't need to hear the pros and cons of a place like that, to a guy who was 19 at the time. LOL.

Very good question, though. Interesting. Some will say, as you said, worry about boot camp first, and you will be doing that. But that does not prohibit you from wondering about duty stations around the world.

By way of contrast, my one year at Camp Lejeune left something to be desired.
There is just something lacking in Jacksonville, North Carolina when compared with San Juan, Puerto Rico
Luckily, I was at Lejeune just prior to going to PR, not afterwards

I definitely don't need the Pros/Cons for PR. I can understand why you loved it. Thanks for your response Sir.

Conch
01-10-12, 04:42 PM
Kaneohe Bay in Hawaii. Beautiful scenery, great facilities, friendly people. Just a nice base in general.

allenl0391
01-10-12, 04:48 PM
Kaneohe Bay in Hawaii. Beautiful scenery, great facilities, friendly people. Just a nice base in general.

I would like to go to Hawaii one day.

And I doubt whether Conch has any "cons" about Hawaii other than perhaps the high cost of living.

I bet the cost of living would be the only "con" too. Its hard to believe anywhere that was close to a beach could not liked. Haha

allenl0391
01-10-12, 04:49 PM
Good thread, thanks for starting it, because I will be learning about bases, myself.
Some of us were stationed at just a few bases during our whole tours, but some of these guys and gals were at many many duty stations, even during just a four year period, so it'll be a learning experience for me as well as you.

Your Weclome USMC1963. I just thought it would be nice to learn about the different bases and deployments because I love to travel.

allenl0391
01-10-12, 04:51 PM
This could be one of my favorite threads.
Something different.
Thanks again, and good luck to you

Thank You.

allenl0391
01-10-12, 05:07 PM
I would like to know about any base that Marines are stationed at. Stateside, Overseas, Deployments, ETC.

ggyoung
01-10-12, 05:31 PM
MCB 29 Palms 1966-68

SGT7477
01-10-12, 05:35 PM
Okinawa as a billeting NCO for officers,Semper Fidelis.

allenl0391
01-10-12, 05:56 PM
MCB 29 Palms 1966-68

Thanks for your response. My brother and his wife are both currently stationed there.

Okinawa as a billeting NCO for officers,Semper Fidelis.

Thanks for your response. I would love to go to Okinawa.

Conch
01-10-12, 05:58 PM
And I doubt whether Conch has any "cons" about Hawaii other than perhaps the high cost of living.

Well put it this way, when I was there in 2009 a one bedroom-one bathroom apartment near the base started at $1325 a month. A studio apartment wasn't much cheaper. Milk is $5 a gallon, and gas is $4 a gallon and up. Everything is more expensive on the islands because it has to be shipped in from the Mainland. If you spend your money wisely and save wisely, you can make it in Hawaii. I had a great time there, but yeah the cost of living can be a killer sometimes. Then again, living here in Key West isn't much cheaper sometimes.

Zulu 36
01-10-12, 06:00 PM
Okinawa pre-May 15, 1972 (when we gave the island back to Japan) was my favorite, although I still liked it when I returned in 1974.

Other than Vietnam, I was not very excited about Camp Lejuene. Didn't have a car and there was nothing much to do close to the base. The good part was I only spent 11-months there.

Apache
01-10-12, 06:02 PM
Marine Barracks 8th & I
Plenty of EXCELLENT chow
Needed to be on deck for any assigned detail squated away outside that LIBERTY CALL
I didn't find any mud there !

Fired a weapon in the air( off duty )behind a sentry -wasn't nice !
I think he s--- himself

allenl0391
01-10-12, 06:04 PM
Well put it this way, when I was there in 2009 a one bedroom-one bathroom apartment near the base started at $1325 a month. A studio apartment wasn't much cheaper. Milk is $5 a gallon, and gas is $4 a gallon and up. Everything is more expensive on the islands because it has to be shipped in from the Mainland. If you spend your money wisely and save wisely, you can make it in Hawaii. I had a great time there, but yeah the cost of living can be a killer sometimes. Then again, living here in Key West isn't much cheaper sometimes.

Yeah. I can understand that. and with the economy I doubt it will be getting any better.

Burke7051
01-10-12, 06:05 PM
MCAS Miramar, California.... loved my time there.
Great location, great scenery, and its close to all the attractions in Southern California.

I also liked MCAS Yuma in Arizona too.

allenl0391
01-10-12, 06:13 PM
Okinawa pre-May 15, 1972 (when we gave the island back to Japan) was my favorite, although I still liked it when I returned in 1974.

Other than Vietnam, I was not very excited about Camp Lejuene. Didn't have a car and there was nothing much to do close to the base. The good part was I only spent 11-months there.

I would really like to go to Japan. Its a place I have always wanted to visit or live.

Marine Barracks 8th & I
Plenty of EXCELLENT chow
Needed to be on deck for any assigned detail squated away outside that LIBERTY CALL
I didn't find any mud there !

Fired a weapon in the air( off duty )behind a sentry -wasn't nice !
I think he s--- himself

What would one's MOS have to be to be stationed at Marine Barracks 8th & I?

MCAS Miramar, California.... loved my time there.
Great location, great scenery, and its close to all the attractions in Southern California.

I also liked MCAS Yuma in Arizona too.

California would be nice compared to Georgia's hummidity.

ggyoung
01-10-12, 07:19 PM

Hell when I go to Lejuene it sucked and in 3 weeks I seined a waver to go back to Vietnam.

MOS4429
01-10-12, 07:46 PM
MCRD, San Diego, but not as a boot, but when I went back in '81-83. Assignment: Civilian college up in Kearney Mesa for 2 years from 7:30 to noon. Noon to ?? at the beach, gym, Laguna Mountains, Balboa, wherever and whatever. Uniform: Shorts, t-shirt, flip-flops. Haircut: Once a month or so when I cruised down to MCRD itself.

Worst? None of 'em. I like all duty stations I was at, but I used to TAD to Yuma, AZ a few times a year and thought that was a hel! hole, and also TAD to some base outside of Dallas, TX where there was a reserve unit. That place was an armpit.

Phantom Blooper
01-10-12, 07:53 PM
Camp LeJeune.....Grass is always greener over the septic tank!

Kaneohe HI......Aloha.....Pricey....But...party central!:banana:

allenl0391
01-10-12, 08:13 PM
MCRD, San Diego, but not as a boot, but when I went back in '81-83. Assignment: Civilian college up in Kearney Mesa for 2 years from 7:30 to noon. Noon to ?? at the beach, gym, Laguna Mountains, Balboa, wherever and whatever. Uniform: Shorts, t-shirt, flip-flops. Haircut: Once a month or so when I cruised down to MCRD itself.

Worst? None of 'em. I like all duty stations I was at, but I used to TAD to Yuma, AZ a few times a year and thought that was a hel! hole, and also TAD to some base outside of Dallas, TX where there was a reserve unit. That place was an armpit.

You were assigned to a college? Not sure I'm tracking on that one.

Camp LeJeune.....Grass is always greener over the septic tank!

Kaneohe HI......Aloha.....Pricey....But...party central!:banana:
Hawaii and Japan seem to be popular answers.

Tennessee Top
01-10-12, 08:35 PM
My favorites (in order):

Guatemala City, Guatemala and Sao Paulo, Brazil (embassy duty). I was single and the state department paid all my bills PLUS gave me a COLA allowance (my USMC paycheck went into the bank). Latinas like Americans...nuff said!

Least favorite:

Port au Prince, Haiti (embassy duty also). The country itself is an armpit, there is an AIDS epidemic, and Haitians as a rule don't like Americans (we were shot at multiple times and even had a voodoo hex put on us).

Tennessee Top
01-10-12, 09:03 PM
C'mon Top, go into the subject of "Latinas like Americans" in a little more detail.
Well, maybe not.

And no comment about whether Lep has voodoo hex powers here. I certainly hope not.

Well, I married one of those hot Latinas I met while I was assigned to our embassy in Managua, Nicaragua. I was dumb and "in love". She hung around till I went to OKI then she hooked up with Jody...the rest is history.

Funny thing about that hex (there was chicken blood, candles, and who knows what else at the front gate to the embassy), the very next day one of the state department dependents was murdered by a Haitian in the parking lot because his visa application was denied. All dependents and nonessential personnel were immediately evacuated to the Naval base in Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico...your old stomping grounds.

Burke7051
01-10-12, 09:17 PM
even had a voodoo hex put on us

Lol gotta love an old fashioned voodoo hex :thumbup:

allenl0391
01-10-12, 09:31 PM
My favorites (in order):

Guatemala City, Guatemala and Sao Paulo, Brazil (embassy duty). I was single and the state department paid all my bills PLUS gave me a COLA allowance (my USMC paycheck went into the bank). Latinas like Americans...nuff said!

Least favorite:

Port au Prince, Haiti (embassy duty also). The country itself is an armpit, there is an AIDS epidemic, and Haitians as a rule don't like Americans (we were shot at multiple times and even had a voodoo hex put on us).

Brazil would be an AWESOME place to go. Its at the top of my list to visit already.

allenl0391
01-10-12, 09:32 PM
Unless we're on the receiving end, I guess. LOL

I guess it would not be good thing to be on the recieving end of you believe in that type of thing. LOL

allenl0391
01-11-12, 05:47 AM
Or even if you DON'T believe in it :)

That's true.

Apache
01-11-12, 10:39 AM
MOS for Barracks duty ?

Back in the day MOS was not a factor
Mine was 0321

Commanders were sent a "recomendation" allowance
They would select Thier most squared away
The candidates would apply and "try out " for a slot.
The appointment would be for one year

allenl0391
01-11-12, 10:55 AM
MOS for Barracks duty ?

Back in the day MOS was not a factor
Mine was 0321

Commanders were sent a "recomendation" allowance
They would select Thier most squared away
The candidates would apply and "try out " for a slot.
The appointment would be for one year

Ok. Good To know. Thank you.

Natadog
01-11-12, 12:30 PM
Camp Pendleton Favorite, Close to everything, loved Albertos burritos extra Sour cream, guac and cheese also loved Tijuana!

29 Palms, Boring, nothing to do nowhere to go

Okinawa, Japan, can be fun, just really small, Kadena Air Force base was cool, the Eagle Globe and Anchor had some good times, eat at the Kadena "Dining Facility" while your there.

Pohang Korea, was only there a few months, did Valiant Blitz and Mountain Warfare training with Rok Marines, not much Libbo, but it was ok.

Natadog
01-11-12, 12:45 PM
Let me just add, I ate Yakisoba while in Okinawa Everyday, Loved the stuff, still haven't found a place here like they made it in Japan!

MOS4429
01-11-12, 12:54 PM
You were assigned to a college? Not sure I'm tracking on that one.

Yep. Applied for a program where the Marine Corps sent me as a student to college for 2 years. That was my MOS at the time - college student. Then I worked in the MOS I went to college for an additional 4 years.

Lot's of good programs out there, keep your options open and always check around.

MOS4429
01-11-12, 02:38 PM
Let me just add, I ate Yakisoba while in Okinawa Everyday, Loved the stuff, still haven't found a place here like they made it in Japan!

Oh, man, haven't had that in about...yeah, 28 years! Good stuff. Didn't eat it every day, but out the back/side gate of Camp Hansen/Butler there was a great place that served up Yakisoba and fried rice. Then just up the road to Ghengis Khan for Mongolian BBQ!

YLDNDN6
01-11-12, 03:13 PM
I was at Corry Station, Pensacola too. That place rocked! We had an enlisted club, the Windjammer, I think it was called....anyway, they had quarter beer night every week, and they always had really good entertainment there. I remember this guy, Ray Beam, the hip hypnotist. He was a blast, and he did some amazing things to people while they were hypnotized. Out on the town there was a place called Seville Quarter. It was like a huge mall downtown, but it was all bars and restaurants. What a great place. Perdido Keys, just a half hour away, you could rent out beach houses for the weekend. The sand was awesome....pure white. I could go on and on about Pensacola......
Then...I got stationed in Rota, Spain. That place was a paradise back then (early 80's) with the exception of the gypsies, who would rob you blind in broad daylight. The base was pretty good, and offered lots of amenities, but the town was the real story. I'd go back in a heartbeat, given the opportunity.

SGT7477
01-11-12, 03:18 PM
Kobe beef was great, what the hell is Yakisoba,lol? Semper Fidelis:D

Natadog
01-11-12, 05:53 PM

Yakisoba is a rice noodle dish, they made it with white or yellow noodles, loved them both, it's like Lo Mein in chinese. I warn you though, get the chicken, NOT the seafood, the seafood Yakisoba is too fishy, chicken Yakisoba is excellent!

Semper Fi!

allenl0391
01-17-12, 07:50 AM
I was at Corry Station, Pensacola too. That place rocked! We had an enlisted club, the Windjammer, I think it was called....anyway, they had quarter beer night every week, and they always had really good entertainment there. I remember this guy, Ray Beam, the hip hypnotist. He was a blast, and he did some amazing things to people while they were hypnotized. Out on the town there was a place called Seville Quarter. It was like a huge mall downtown, but it was all bars and restaurants. What a great place. Perdido Keys, just a half hour away, you could rent out beach houses for the weekend. The sand was awesome....pure white. I could go on and on about Pensacola......
Then...I got stationed in Rota, Spain. That place was a paradise back then (early 80's) with the exception of the gypsies, who would rob you blind in broad daylight. The base was pretty good, and offered lots of amenities, but the town was the real story. I'd go back in a heartbeat, given the opportunity.
:thumbup:

Tennessee Top
01-17-12, 11:26 PM

Whenever somebody in our shop rotated off the island, we would normally take them to the Four Seasons restaraunt for Kobe beef (cows never leave their stalls, are hand-massaged daily, and hand-fed bottled beer...very expensive for obvious reasons but tastes incredible). The meal was cooked on a hibachi grill at your table and served along with white rice, bean sprouts, chopped potatos, and a small salad.

The USO at Camp Foster served an excellent bowl of yakisoba (air conditioning was a plus also).

Every Thursday night was Mongolian BBQ over at the Kadena AFB enlisted club. That was outstanding chow too (and cheap).

Shakey's pizza had an excellent buffet (and cold beer) out in the ville.

One can definitely eat well on Okinawa! Gotta be careful you don't get fat though!!