PDA

View Full Version : Native Americans served 'beyond the call'

thedrifter
11-07-03, 05:58 AM
Native Americans served 'beyond the call'
Submitted by: MCB Hawaii
Story Identification Number: 200311619420
Story by Compiled from DoD news releases

MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, KANEOHE BAY, Hawaii(Nov. 7, 2003) -- When the 20th century came to a close, there were nearly 190,000 Native American military veterans. It is well recognized that, historically, Native Americans have the highest record of service per capita when compared to other ethnic groups. The reasons behind this disproportionate contribution are complex and deeply rooted in traditional American Indian culture.

In many respects, Native Americans are no different from others who volunteer for military service. They do, however, have distinctive cultural values that drive them to serve their country. One such value is their proud warrior tradition.

In part, the warrior tradition is a willingness to engage the enemy in battle. This characteristic has been clearly demonstrated by the courageous deeds of Native Americans in combat. However, the warrior tradition is best exemplified by the following qualities said to be inherent to most, if not all, Native American societies: strength, honor, pride, devotion and wisdom. These qualities make a perfect fit with military tradition.

American Indian soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and airmen have fought heroically in all of this century's wars and armed conflicts. They have not only been formally recognized for their bravery through military decoration but through anecdotal observation as well.

The Medal of Honor

Throughout history, American Indians have been among those soldiers to be distinguished by receiving the nation's highest military honor, the Congressional Medal of Honor, which is awarded for military heroism "above and beyond the call of duty."

Five Native Americans in World War II, three from the Korean War and 16 during the period of the Indian Wars exhibited extraordinary bravery in the face of the enemy and, in many cases, made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

(Editor's Note: This information was compiled from DoD news releases.)

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003116195336/$file/IwoRaiselow.jpg

There are six flag raisers in this photograph. Four in the front line and two in the back. The front four are (left to right) Ira Hayes, Franklin Sousley, John Bradley and Harlon Block. The back two are Michael Strank (behind Sousley) and Rene Gagnon (behind Bradley). Strank, Block and Sousley would die shortly afterwards. Bradley, Hayes, a full-blooded Pima Indian with the 5th Marine Division, and Gagnon became national heroes within weeks. Photo by: Joe Rosenthal

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/0B65F273EC7928DA85256DD7000065BB?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

thedrifter
11-07-03, 06:00 AM
Submitted by: MCB Hawaii <br />
Story Identification Number: 200311619057 <br />
Story by Lance Cpl. Monroe F. Seigle <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, KANEOHE BAY, Hawaii(Nov. 7, 2003) -- During the assault on...

thedrifter
11-14-03, 10:58 PM
DoD honors culture, contributions of Native Americans
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story Identification Number: 20031113132516
Story by Cpl. Jennifer Brofer

MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C.(Nov. 14, 2003) -- For more than 200 years, Native Americans have contributed their fighting spirit and warrior ethos to help the American military forces conquer their enemies, from the War of 1812 to present day.

During World War II, Native Americans were instrumental to the success of U.S. battles by serving as code talkers, or "Windtalkers," and by sending and receiving messages using a code that was nearly impossible for enemies to decipher.

In light of these and countless other contributions made by Native Americans to the U.S. military, and in the tradition of recognizing diversity throughout the Marine Corps, the Department of Defense has designated November as American Indian/Alaskan Native Heritage Month.

To celebrate, the Tri-Command Committee has scheduled a luncheon at the Four Winds Club, from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. Nov. 19, which will feature singing and dancing performed by traditional and fancy dancers. The buffet-style luncheon will include Native American-style food. All are invited to attend the event.

Although only .1 percent of the Marine Corps is comprised of Native Americans, it is recognized historically that Native Americans have the highest record of service per capita when compared to other ethnic groups, according to the DoD.

With such small numbers, it is easy for people to have misconceptions about the culture, and even make jokes about people they know nothing about, said Sgt. Joseph Jordan, Starlite Range coach and a member of the Seminole tribe.

"A lot of people don't understand Native Americans, their culture or religious ways, so people might joke about it," said Jordan, who is also a descendent of the Lumbee, Cherokee, Creek and Catabwa tribes. "Sometimes I kind of feel lost because there are not many Native Americans in the Marine Corps."

Jordan said it is important to recognize this diverse group of people, whose significant contributions made an impact on most every war Americans have participated in.

"In every war the U.S. has had a part in, there have been Native Americans fighting alongside, whether fighting each other or the enemy," said Jordan, who explained that during the War of 1812, Indians fought for both sides as auxiliary troops in the Civil War.

In earlier years, many Native Americans lied about their heritage in order to get a job because many businesses would not hire Native Americans, said Jordan.

"In a lot of places, Native Americans would claim to be Spanish or Irish because of all the racism," he said.

However, his heritage never stopped Jordan from being proud of where he came from.

"When I was young, my mom always told me to be proud of my heritage," he said. "So, I began finding out about my culture, and that's what made me proud."

Native Americans have come a long way and have since become an integral part of the military and society as a whole.

"They are a lot more educated and have better jobs," he said. "A lot of Native Americans also play a part in NASA. The first Native American to go into space was from the Chikasaw tribe."

Historical milestones like this as well as an overview of some of the customs of Native Americans will be covered during the presentation.

Jordan encourages everyone to attend the observance, which will give attendees knowledge of who Native Americans really are.

"Everyone should come out and learn about the culture and its rich heritage," he said. "It will be a learning experience - they'll have a better mindset about who Native Americans are."

For tickets, contact 228-2647.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20031113144324/$file/code2(L).jpg

Navajo code talkers serve with a Marine Signal Unit, in the South Pacific, 1943. Five other tribes also used their languages to help the Allied effort throughout the war. Photo by: Special to The Boot

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/2F85C25ED46372BA85256DDD006530E5?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

yellowwing
11-15-03, 12:04 AM
Who do we call brother? A&E had a great biography on Senator Daniel Inouye. When he was severely wounded fighting the Japanese Imperialist cause, he recieved blood transfusions from black support troops. If you can call units called to the front because of military necessity "support troops".

I've met a Korean conflict platoon leader that swears that they were never ambushed when their Native American private was on point.

I remember a acronym from the 80's, WETSU, "We Eat This Sh*t Up".

Of course we do! In our beliefs, society is structured between men and women. If you want to be healed or to create life, call on the women. If you want something built or destroyed, call a warrior! That's certainly a UMSC description.

Not to rile up the likes of CA3, we do recognize the warrior class of the women. They are some of the most fiercest you will ever come across! Just try clubbing a bear cub and you'll find out!

I'm sure that the sociologist have a fancy name for all this. But as far as this Native American is concerned, WETSU!

jo_beth
11-15-03, 06:58 AM
hmmm... I dont remember that saying in the 80's...

I might toss a cow puckies or burn them, but there are some things I won't eat....
:banana:
lmao

jo_beth
11-15-03, 07:06 AM
umm, Roger?
that phone number needs an area code..