PDA

View Full Version : Recon Question?

recondite14
12-26-11, 05:36 PM
I read an article (MC Times I believe) that stated the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion killed over 250 enemies in 6 months.

Were the 250 deaths a result of direct action ambushes or airstrikes\artillery that Recon Marines radioed in?

Also, do Recon Marines get specifically tasked with direct action missions (like Rangers\SEALs), or do they only conduct DA missions if already out on a reconnaissance mission and it's deemed appropriate for them to attack?

None of this can be answered on the Recon\Sniper\MARSOC thread btw.

Zulu 36
12-26-11, 07:20 PM
I read an article (MC Times I believe) that stated the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion killed over 250 enemies in 6 months.

Were the 250 deaths a result of direct action ambushes or airstrikes\artillery that Recon Marines radioed in?

Also, do Recon Marines get specifically tasked with direct action missions (like Rangers\SEALs), or do they only conduct DA missions if already out on a reconnaissance mission and it's deemed appropriate for them to attack?

None of this can be answered on the Recon\Sniper\MARSOC thread btw.

The body count, if accurate, is probably caused by all combat methods.

A Recon unit's #1 job is recon, not fighting. However, there are a number of ways to conduct reconnaissance, which could include direct action missions or ambushes.

Normally, while on a recon mission, the team is often too small to conduct their own attacks. They either simply observe and report, snipe, call in air or indirect fires, or direct a larger attack force onto the target.

In most cases, when a recon team has to fight, something went wrong.

recondite14
12-27-11, 04:13 PM
The body count, if accurate, is probably caused by all combat methods.

A Recon unit's #1 job is recon, not fighting. However, there are a number of ways to conduct reconnaissance, which could include direct action missions or ambushes.

Normally, while on a recon mission, the team is often too small to conduct their own attacks. They either simply observe and report, snipe, call in air or indirect fires, or direct a larger attack force onto the target.

In most cases, when a recon team has to fight, something went wrong.

Everything I needed to know, thanks.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-28-11, 07:06 PM
Closed/Asked/Answered.