PDA

View Full Version : pre-boot camp training

Phaack
12-19-11, 08:23 AM
Hey just started talking to a recruiter last week, have to bring him my transcript tomorrow to see if I can be bummped up to Teir 1 but had a question about preparing for boot camp. I been looking at starting to train in brizilian jui-jitsu to get me not only into shape but give me a head start on a hand to hand combat skill. I know the Marine Corps has it's own martial arts program but was curious if BJJ would help me there?

thewookie
12-19-11, 08:27 AM
was curious if BJJ would help me there?

Sure it will, anything you can do to stay active and not sitting on your duff playing XBox will help.

Bootcamp is 90% mental though, the other half is physical. ;)

Curious -- what is a bump to Tier 1? You talking COD?

Phaack
12-19-11, 08:31 AM
Yea I totally understand the mental part of bootcamp. Just my thought on what I've heard from those who have gone through bootcamp is that if I'm in real good physical shape it will help with the mental aspect because it will give me one less thing to stress about. I also agree with staying active, I'm just starting out my training fro bootcamp because I been working on my college credits so it's been a little tough with the running (my legs kill after ie. shin splints and aches and pains) but I just keep going through to help m build more mental strength.

Phaack
12-19-11, 08:33 AM
What I meant by bumped to teir 1 is I have a GED and I needed to get 15 college credits to be considered a high school grad. So after today I'll have 18 and the recruiter wants my transcript to see if all my credits are from classes that are college lvl. 100 are higher, which I talked to a counseler at school and she said they were.

thewookie
12-19-11, 08:35 AM
What I meant by bumped to teir 1 is I have a GED and I needed to get 15 college credits to be considered a high school grad. So after today I'll have 18 and the recruiter wants my transcript to see if all my credits are from classes that are college lvl. 100 are higher, which I talked to a counseler at school and she said they were.

Sounds whack, Phaack. ;) For a minute there I thought you were going straight to a Tier One unit after bootcamp -- cause they have those contracts for those really high screed types. :)

Good luck.

Phaack
12-19-11, 08:35 AM
what do you mean?

thewookie
12-19-11, 08:39 AM
what do you mean?

What Tier One unit do you want?

Space Shuttle Door Gunner (USAF)
Prop Wash Collector (USAF)
Submarine Screen Door Guard (USN)
PPTX Ranger (Chairborne) (USA)

Just kidding with you, carry on. :usmc:

Phaack
12-19-11, 08:40 AM
ok lol. thanks for your input on my question

DudefromDiego
12-19-11, 04:43 PM
Go for it, but you won't be helping yourself out. You're going to get a tan belt in MCMAP, and you will be able to harm nobody. If you've gotten into a hallway fight in high school, you're ready for your tan belt in MCMAP. We actually call it a B&T belt, since you'll do more bends and thrusts than actual moves. And the moves are stuff that anybody who plans on putting up some sort of fight in a scuffle already knows. Save it for the fleet, cause you won't be doing MCMAP at MCT/ITB either. Can't vouch for ITB, but I don't see where it would go into the schedule. Don't quote me on that.

MOS4429
12-19-11, 05:08 PM
Phaack, you should read the rules at http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103170

I think the profile for poolees and Marine Friend requires more than a name, and you'll get dinged on this eventually if not squared away.

SlingerDun
12-19-11, 05:28 PM
You wanna learn to fight off your back?? Join a wrestling club, learn a couple good shots and come out on top.