PDA

View Full Version : Unique shoulder injury problem (already searched around)

eddy7933
12-12-11, 11:13 AM
So i have had a shoulder surgery last february because my shoulder dislocated every football practice. Last week however, at a wrestling match, my shoulder popped out again. I talked to my doctor about it and he said they'll put me in physical therapy for 6 weeks. He said i should still be able to enlist next september when I turn 17. He has been in the Marines for 26 years and graduated from the naval academy and he said he could write some letters for me and said it shouldn't be a problem.

However, ive read on military.com that shoulder disclocations could result in a DQ.

I really need to know if i'll still be able to enlist, because i've been planning for this for the past 5 years and have stayed out of trouble and kept my grades up, and not gotten tattoos, but this out of the blue could stop me from enlisting?

Thank you Marines. God Bless you all.

DanM
12-12-11, 11:28 AM
You need to talk to a recruiter after you turn 17.No one can tell you what the requirements will be a year from now.

Lisa 23
12-12-11, 12:01 PM
I know you already read the following, but the Marines here have no idea if you'll be approved for a waiver or not.
And as DanM already mentioned, You need to talk to a recruiter after you turn 17. No one can tell you what the requirements will be a year from now. When you do talk with a recuiter, talk with him/her face-to-face, not over the phone.

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Appointment

Miscellaneous conditions of the extremities

Jun 10 2009
The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/medicalwaiver.htm)) are an authenticated history of:

Current joint dislocation if unreduced, or history of recurrent dislocations of any major joint such as shoulder (831), hip (835), elbow (832), knee (836), ankle (837), or instability of any major joint (shoulder (718.81), elbow (718.82), hip (718.85), ankle and foot (718.87) or multiple sites (718.89)) is disqualifying.

History of recurrent instability of the knee or shoulder is disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/extremities3.htm