PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know John Jacob Arold?

jearold
12-10-11, 02:03 PM
I am searching for anyone who might have been in the 2nd Div. Marines with my husband, John Jacob Arold. (JJ) He fought, and was wounded at Tarawa & sent to a hospital in Hawaii. Retrained at Camp Tarawa and sent to Leyte, Philippines with the 5th Div, Howitzer Battalion. From there, sent to Guam, joined the 3rd Division and helped with the clean up routing the Japanese from the cliffs. Was at a camp on Guam for R&R when the war ended. He received a Purple Heart in the hospital after being wounded at Tarawa but it was stolen. John died 4/3/2010 and I would like to get his name on the Honor Roll at the Purple Heart Museum in New Windsor, NY. Without proof, this can't be done. The Marine corp tells me he did not deserve a purple heart because he only had a broken rib when a vehicle he was riding in, at the Tarawa airport, was hit by a B-24. They also show him on Tarawa from Nov. 21, 1943 to April 1, 1944. He told me he was in the initial invasion of Tarawa (the 20th) and wounded sometime the next day on the beach. If he was put on a hospital ship at this time and sent to Hawaii, he could not have been there until the following year. I am really confused and would appreciate any tidbit of information anyone can give me. I am proud of my husband's service to our country and I am proud of all you Leathernecks out there. I currently have a grandson and a nephew in the Marines, a grandson in the Army and two newphews in the Air Force.
Thanks for listening to my plea. God Bless you all.
Eleanor Arold

DanM
12-10-11, 02:44 PM
If you have not already requested his service record,you can at the below link.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/

Sgt Leprechaun
12-10-11, 02:57 PM
First, you need to read our rules here. Second, you posted in the wrong area, (I've sinced moved it). And third, double posting isn't allowed.

Now that THAT is out of the way :) .....

The very first thing you'll need to do, as Dan has said, is to get a copy of his records from NARA. (He provided the link above). Once that is done, you'll have a more complete picture of his service (and believe it or not, maybe even an ID picture as well). His records will detail where he was, 'when' he was, and all wounds, awards, and qualifications he may have gotten.

Oh, you'll need his SERVICE number that the Marines issued him. Although a Social Security will be helpful, it's better to have the Service Number.

It's a shame about his PH being stolen...was it named to him on the reverse? Many were. That makes it more traceable (and thus, returnable to you).

Please drop me a line if I can be of further assistance in this.