PDA

View Full Version : Personal Advice

DForbes
12-09-11, 07:00 PM
Hello all,

I will first start off by saying I am not looking for MOS descriptions or anything like that, Google works just fine for me although not always for others. I'm looking for a little bit of advice as to a decision I have to be making here soon. As it currently stands I have signed the aircrew contract (AG) and am set to ship officially in March although it will likely be February; I originally went for this contract because I have always loved aviation and this job field just kinda stuck out to me as the one I should choose. As time has gone on I've found more information on these particular MOS's as well as other non-related MOS's and am beginning to think I went for it without really thinking about if it was what I wanted, I just kind of assumed it was. Now I have told my recruiter that I would like to leave early if an artillery (CK) contract becomes available which includes 0861 Forward Observer, 0844 Fire Control Man and a few others not including 0811. The only MOS here that really interests me is 0861. Where I'm looking for advice is whether I should request to switch my contract entirely to CK regardless of shipping early.
As it appears to me now the AG is kind of my play it safe, stay in my comfort zone contract but my gut is telling me to take a risk and go with CK as I might discover that I will enjoy it a lot more than I would have AG. I'm wondering if anyone is current with the needs of the Marine Corps as they pertain to the CK MOS's? I'm just not sure I'd enjoy the other MOS's is CK besides 0861 but it'd also be great to hear personal stories if anyone has them about 0844 for example, maybe it was a surprise and turned out to be a great job?

I hope I made sense with this post and I thank you all for your time,
Poolee Forbes

slowpoke96z28
12-10-11, 08:54 PM
well wing and division are two totally different cultures. first thing to do is ask yourself what it is you want out of your marine corps "experience". also know that a wing billet as an enlisted man doesnt given any chance of a flight contract after tbs. really would only help if you ended up back in the same squadron. see if your recruiter has buddies in either mos and get then on the horn and talk to them about their day to day life.

DForbes
12-12-11, 03:54 PM
Thank you for the response; part of my original reasoning was that an air wing MOS might help me with an officer flight position which is something I'd love, but as I've heard more and more it doesn't seem that much in the Marine Corps is tied together in that manner.

JoshM
12-12-11, 04:36 PM
I'm a 6173 still in training, start flight school in Jan. And I love it even though I haven't started. Alot of hands on mech stuff that 6113 do but you get to fly.

DForbes
01-06-12, 04:08 PM
Just an update, I'm going CK shipping out on 120117 and hopefully I will end up getting 0861! Thanks for the answers.

Poolee Forbes

Zulu 36
01-06-12, 04:22 PM
Just an update, I'm going CK shipping out on 120117 and hopefully I will end up getting 0861! Thanks for the answers.

Poolee Forbes

OK, have fun. Just remember what FO really means = First Obliterated. :sick: