PDA

View Full Version : Open contract

TBR600
12-09-11, 02:52 PM
Hi, quick question (I searched)

I got moved up to Jan 9 but no jobs I wanted were available. All my RSS had was Supply & Accounting and some other Admin jobs as well as a truck driving job of some sort. So, my Recruiter said I could go open contract and I would be able to pick a job from what was available at MCT after boot. However, everything I read says they pick for you and normally the only jobs available are the ones they can't fill such as Admin jobs etc. (nothing wrong with Admin it just isn't for me)

I am a little nervous about shipping open because I don't want to get a job I dislike for 4 years, I was considering asking him if I could wait until my original ship date of Feb 6th just to see if anything comes up, because it kind of sucks I've been in the DEP for 7 months now and submitted my job choices before October but nothing I want is available. The only thing is that 1 month might not make a difference and there would be no jobs anyway, so I wanted to get some current opinions on shipping open contract.

I got an 86 on ASVAB and around an 80 on DLAB and my initial choices were

1)Intel
2)Aviation repair (I'd be good with pretty much anything close to this field)
3)Combat Vehicle repair

If I can pick from available jobs at MCT that's great and would make me less worried but still, there is no telling what would even be available, especially since I'd be graduating in April which is basically halfway through the year.

EDIT: I have known my recruiter a long time and I trust him, he hooked me up a lot... Got me contract PFC and also is trying to get me a bonus if I ship open contract, I just want some outside opinions to help me out. Thanks.

Lisa 23
12-09-11, 03:01 PM
First off, if you're looking for Marines to answer your questions, PM Sgt Leprechaun and ask him to move this to the Ask A Marine forum (double posting isn't allowed). Most Marines aren't allowed to post here in the poolee forum.
In my opinion, I would stick to your original choices.......remember, it's 4 years of your life, not your recruiters.

TBR600
12-09-11, 03:07 PM
Ah thank you, I will do that... Didn't realize they couldn't post here. I definitely want to stick to something I want, and I'm even open to other options not just those 3. I just don't want to wait until Feb and there still be nothing. Plus I already signed an SOU for Open Contract but from what I understand I could still change it. I know someone willing to take my spot if I could switch with them.

Thanks again.

PNW2011
12-09-11, 03:24 PM
Same thing happened to me, I came back into the DEP at a different station but had to go reserves, but I did get the MOS I wanted. I was willing to go open as well because at least you'd have a chance to get something else. Back when you could play hardball and get what you wanted this was stupid, not so much anymore.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-09-11, 06:13 PM
Moved to 'Ask'.

TBR600
12-09-11, 07:55 PM
Thank you all for the replies I just talked to my recruiter there is some contracts coming in for Feb/Mar and he is going to see what he can do for me. I just decided not to take the risk with 4 years.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-09-11, 08:43 PM
Probably a wise move on your part. As you said, no sense in being miserable for 4 years and it's YOUR life.

TBR600
02-03-12, 05:54 PM
Update for any other poolees in a similar situation, Ended up swapping with a friend of mine changing my ship date from Feb 6th to April 23, hard to wait those extra months since once your date gets close every day drags by, but my Recruiter and the GySgt at our station went out and got the only DD contract left for our area, just signed the papers Wednesday. So, in my case the risk paid off.

Thanks for all the advice Marines!