PDA

View Full Version : A Couple Questions

Melton
11-18-11, 09:41 PM
First of all I'd like to just say hello to everyone on the forum. My names Austin. I'm currently a 17 year old wannabe Marine. I read over the rules and I'm not for sure if this is the right place to post this or if I'm going about this the right way. If not I apologize. I will be meeting with a recruiter next week to start on my way to becoming a Marine. I hope to leave for Parris Island as soon as possible after I graduate high school. I just have a few questions to ask before I start on this journey.

The first thing I want to ask is about weight requirement. I'm currently 6'3 260lbs. I know that's sort of a hard number to picture but I'm not completely fat. I'm made more broader than anything. I talked to an Air Force recruiter a few months ago and he told me to get down to 215lbs. Is the height/weight requirement the same in the Marine Corps as the Air Force?

The second thing I want to ask about is the MOS I want to take up. I really want an 0200 intelligence MOS. I was just curious as to where this MOS usually gets stationed. I was thinking where it deals with intel I might be working alongside other branches intel divisions and maybe the CIA. Is this possible? I don't have a fear about joining infantry (I would if I had to) but I think I could serve my country best with a computer intel job. Which 0200 MOS mainly works with computers?

The last thing I want to ask about is how hard is it to keep in touch with family after recruit training? Will I get to come home and visit often?

If you made it this far thanks for reading. Like I said before, I'm sorry if this is not the right place or way to post these questions.

Lisa 23
11-18-11, 10:15 PM
I'm sure this chart is fairly accuracte......

Marine Corp Weight Allowance Standards (Male)
Height (Inches) - Maximum Standard (Pounds) - Minimum Standard (Pounds)
58 - 132 - 91
59 - 136 - 94
60 - 141 - 97
61 - 146 - 100
62 - 150 - 104
63 - 155 - 107
64 - 160 - 110
65 - 165 - 114
66 - 170 - 117
67 - 176 - 121
68 - 181 - 125
69 - 186 - 128
70 - 192 - 132
71 - 197 - 136
72 - 203 - 140
73 - 208 - 144
74 - 214 - 148
75 - 220 - 152
76 - 226 - 156
77 - 232 - 160
78 - 238 - 164
79 - 244 - 168
80 - 250 - 173

http://www.military . com/military-fitness/marine-corps-fitness-requirements/usmc-weight-charts

Leave and Liberty Information
http://www.usmchangout.com/usmc/militaryliving/leaveandliberty.htm

0200 intelligence - this MOS has been covered before. Try doing a search on the site.

Melton
11-18-11, 10:20 PM
Thank you for the info! It's much appreciated.

E4O
11-18-11, 11:56 PM
First of all I'd like to just say hello to everyone on the forum. My names Austin. I'm currently a 17 year old wannabe Marine. I read over the rules and I'm not for sure if this is the right place to post this or if I'm going about this the right way. If not I apologize. I will be meeting with a recruiter next week to start on my way to becoming a Marine. I hope to leave for Parris Island as soon as possible after I graduate high school. I just have a few questions to ask before I start on this journey.

The first thing I want to ask is about weight requirement. I'm currently 6'3 260lbs. I know that's sort of a hard number to picture but I'm not completely fat. I'm made more broader than anything. I talked to an Air Force recruiter a few months ago and he told me to get down to 215lbs. Is the height/weight requirement the same in the Marine Corps as the Air Force?

The second thing I want to ask about is the MOS I want to take up. I really want an 0200 intelligence MOS. I was just curious as to where this MOS usually gets stationed. I was thinking where it deals with intel I might be working alongside other branches intel divisions and maybe the CIA. Is this possible? I don't have a fear about joining infantry (I would if I had to) but I think I could serve my country best with a computer intel job. Which 0200 MOS mainly works with computers?

The last thing I want to ask about is how hard is it to keep in touch with family after recruit training? Will I get to come home and visit often?

If you made it this far thanks for reading. Like I said before, I'm sorry if this is not the right place or way to post these questions.

You're gonna have to lose that. The USMC now is very anal about height and weight standards. Back in 2006, they didn't care as long as you get a first class pft. Now, that doesn't matter- I've seen Marines get shafted for not meeting height and weight standards now. The USMC is cutting down on number as of now on the active duty side so the standards are gonna be very strict.
You may in up with a Intel Battalion or in an H&S company for a regiment or battalion.
For intel, you'll be using the computer quite often to research, collect data and conduct briefs. At least this is what the intel guys at my unit did.
During boot camp, you'll get one phone call (5 mins max) to call home and let your family know you have arrived safely. You'll be in receiving for several days and will not be writing letters until about the second week when you get assigned to your platoon. Letters are a way to go. However, if your platoon performs very well, your Senior Drill Instructor (SDI) may allow recruits to call home once or twice. Again, this is your SDI's call- you may/may not get to call after the initial phone call.

Melton
11-19-11, 12:35 AM
Thanks E40. So 0200's can be in a combat zone?

E4O
11-19-11, 12:19 PM
Thanks E40. So 0200's can be in a combat zone?

No problem. Yes. However, more than likely, you'll be at the COC on base. There is a slight chance you may go out on patrol/convoys. If you're in HUMINT (you have to be an NCO) you will likely go out with the grunts.