PDA

View Full Version : Military Journalist MOS

rcjohnson
11-04-11, 07:43 AM
I am planning on enlisting in the Marines when I turn 18 which isn't far off. When I went to the recruiter I was blown away by all the different jobs offered in the Marine Corps. I had no idea there was so many jobs to choose from. I'm a good writer so I figured the military journalist MOS would be perfect for me. I was just wondering if there is a high demand for military journalists in the Marines. Is there a good chance I would get that job? Can a Marine who has had that job tell me more about it (if there are any requirements as far as rank goes, etc.)?

fl1946
11-04-11, 01:10 PM
As former MC photojournalist (RVN) and officer of the MC Combat Correspondents Assn., perhaps I can provide you with a brief perspective: the Corps is always interested in qualified scribe candidates, but cannot guarantee you the MOS. Like other MOS, it depends on the Corps' needs. I raised my hand during skills testing, aced the exam and got into the 4600 field. Once in, the opportunities are exceptional. If you make it a career, you go to Defense Information School and even to University Chicago or Columbia University for schooling. Even University Southern California for motion picture. The Combat Correspondents Assn here in Los Angeles is the referral network into broadcasting and journalism. Good luck. Check it out. You can PM me for additional info. There's a public affairs unit in L.A., among other things, tasked to review scripts for movies involving the Corps.

Semper fi, :marine:

A Hollywood Marine