PDA

View Full Version : 24 hour Phone call

PvtShane
11-04-11, 12:08 AM
So on Monday I recieved a phone call from my recruiter.

"You wan't to be a Marine, right?"

"Yes, Sgt."

"How do you feel about shipping out tomorrow?"

I was supposed to ship in July, working on getting moved up to March 19th.

Needless to say it was a big decision to make, with employers I would be screwing over, a girlfriend who's heart I'd be breaking, and a lot of missed goodbyes; but I said I would do it. After all, I signed up to be a Marine, the sooner the better, right? :evilgrin:

Obviously, I didn't end up shipping, they didn't need me. I was a back-up shipper.

NOW since you're probably getting tired of my life-story; to the question.

I was told that I would recieve one of the jobs that were open, or even go in open contract if I went in this way. Since I needed a District Level Waiver, a lot of job opps were closed to me anyway. I'm more focused on being a Marine, but I obviously don't want to be stuck doing something I would HATE like Motor T.

My question is: Are there any Marines here that have gone in this way? How did it work out for you?

Thanks for your time,

Shane, G.

devilbones2
11-04-11, 11:15 AM
Two guys in my unit that signed open ended up in Intel. You go where they need you and what you are qualified for.

awbrown1462
11-04-11, 11:35 AM
I went in open ended in Supply Admin

eric huitrado
11-04-11, 11:40 AM
I went in open, and I came out of boot as a 5811 Military Police, so, anything can happen.

Zulu 36
11-04-11, 01:52 PM
Why would you hate Motor T? Have you done it yet?

MrSnips
11-04-11, 06:28 PM
Saw most of the guys in my boot camp with open contracts go to comm crap. what do you want to to so bad anyways?

PvtShane
11-04-11, 07:52 PM
Thank-you for all of your answers, Marines.
You got me on that one, Zulu. I don't know for a fact that I would hate Motor T.
I guess it just doesn't sound appealing.

I wanted to be a Grunt 03XX as my first choice. No openings

I wanted to be a Cryptologist second, Russian if I had a choice.
But my waiver bars me from that.

MP, too. Waiver.

I don't think going in open contract will change my eligibility for any of these jobs. My recruiter told me that after two years It wouldn't matter anymore.

MrSnips
11-04-11, 08:11 PM
If you want 03 you will have to wait. however that wait will probably be the best decision you ever make.

if you have any questions about that opinion feel free to PM me. might be easier that way.