PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted as a Corpsman...

Jeremy R K
11-03-11, 05:23 PM
Hello everyone, I haven't posted on here for awhile but I just wanted to bring the community up to speed. Basically, I initially wanted to become a Marine, even went as far as taking the asvab as a USMC recruit but I have taken another path. I went Navy and enlisted as an HM with the idea that I would be right there in the thick of things with you guys but at the same time learning something I can use later after service perhaps. I feel like I kind of let down the community as well as myself because I wanted to become a Marine. Nevertheless, I will deliver 110% of my efforts in whatever job I'm handed. Ship date is March 12. Thank you, for all of your help and wisdom thus far.

MOS4429
11-03-11, 07:20 PM
Jeremy, you haven't let anybody down. You're heading a different path for good reasons, and just as you'll be getting Marine's backs, there will be times they'll cover yours. Good luck!

Jeremy R K
11-03-11, 07:41 PM
Jeremy, you haven't let anybody down. You're heading a different path for good reasons, and just as you'll be getting Marine's backs, there will be times they'll cover yours. Good luck!

Thank you sir.

DanM
11-03-11, 08:00 PM
Hello everyone, I haven't posted on here for awhile but I just wanted to bring the community up to speed. Basically, I initially wanted to become a Marine, even went as far as taking the asvab as a USMC recruit but I have taken another path. I went Navy and enlisted as an HM with the idea that I would be right there in the thick of things with you guys but at the same time learning something I can use later after service perhaps. I feel like I kind of let down the community as well as myself because I wanted to become a Marine. Nevertheless, I will deliver 110% of my efforts in whatever job I'm handed. Ship date is March 12. Thank you, for all of your help and wisdom thus far.

Did you actually research the Corpsman field? There are no guarantees to go to FMTB and become a HM8404 unless it's in a reserve enlistment contract.If you do become a HM8404 there are no guarantees you will be assigned to a Marine command your first 2 years of active duty.

Jeremy R K
11-03-11, 08:19 PM
Did you actually research the Corpsman field? There are no guarantees to go to FMTB and become a HM8404 unless it's in a reserve enlistment contract.If you do become a HM8404 there are no guarantees you will be assigned to a Marine command your first 2 years of active duty.

Hello Dan, yes I have researched the field, and I am well aware that depending on the needs of the Navy, I may or may not have a choice after A School on where to go next. However I am hoping for the best. This is another reason why I said I'd give 110% no matter the job. All I can do now is prepare and try to overachieve in A school so I can maybe have a choice. If I could , I would serve my entire enlistment as an FMF Corpsman , but if I could at least get two years attached to a unit then that would suffice.

fl1946
11-04-11, 01:19 PM
Navy Corpsmen NEVER pay for drinks. The First Battalion, 9th Marines Assn was started by former corpsman, Roger Leggon, honoring corpsman and Marines. Needless to say, without Doc, many of us would not be here. Good luck and Fair Winds.

I Corps.
Quang Tri, RVN '67

Jeremy R K
11-04-11, 04:38 PM
Navy Corpsmen NEVER pay for drinks. The First Battalion, 9th Marines Assn was started by former corpsman, Roger Leggon, honoring corpsman and Marines. Needless to say, without Doc, many of us would not be here. Good luck and Fair Winds.

I Corps.
Quang Tri, RVN '67

Thank you sir. I want FMF, I need that experience.

Jeremy R K
09-12-12, 06:10 PM
Hello everyone . Most if not all won't remember me or this message but i did enlist as a corpsman. I am graduating corps school very soon. I'm heading to FMTB W then getting stationed in NMC San Diego with a 1st Mar Div detachment. Just wanted to update my situation as in life some people talk but never do.

fl1946
09-13-12, 11:24 AM
Congratulations, Jeremy. We Marines are very proud of your accomplishments and desire to be with us at FMF. If ever you are in combat, rest assured the Devil Dogs will have your back.

Semper Fi,
Frank

Rocky C
09-13-12, 05:47 PM
Congrats Jeremy.
I will change your Status right now.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Jeremy R K
09-13-12, 06:18 PM
Thank you both. It means a lot.