PDA

View Full Version : Am i eligible?

ash94
11-01-11, 08:55 PM
hey everyone, I want to be a marine once i get out of high school but was wondering if i was eligible to join because I was caught shoplifting when i was 14 but i was not arrested. They just had a cop talk to me while i waited to be picked up by my mom and they sent me a fine. Is this the type of thing that could be considered a "criminal background"? Since then i have not been in any trouble.

Thanks for the help

Lisa 23
11-01-11, 09:08 PM
A bit more of a profile would help...site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.
Also, try doing a search on the site, as well as read the stickies.
Medical/Mental/Criminal/Tattoo Waivers/Lying to MEPS...READ THIS FIRST
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97158

And Marine is always capitalized.

ash94
11-01-11, 09:19 PM
Thanks for taking the time to show me that Ma'am. So i suppose i am lucky enough to remain eligible as I was not actually arrested or sent to court. Unless i am mistaken which would be quite unfortunate.

Lisa 23
11-01-11, 09:37 PM
How old are you now, and what year are you in school?

ash94
11-01-11, 09:53 PM
I am 17 and am a Senior in highschool

Lisa 23
11-01-11, 10:39 PM
You're old enough to go and talk with a recruiter face-to-face, not over the phone, and see what he/she has to say. They are the only ones who can give you the most up to date info and to let you know what your chances are.

ash94
11-01-11, 10:58 PM
Thank you for the advice, I will be sure to do that.

MOS4429
11-02-11, 12:48 PM
Thanks for taking the time to show me that Ma'am. So i suppose i am lucky enough to remain eligible as I was not actually arrested or sent to court. Unless i am mistaken which would be quite unfortunate.

The question you ask is in a vacuum and difficult to answer without knowing more. You state you were lucky enough to not be arrested or sent to court, but you also say they sent you a fine.

Not every state has the same law with respect to this offense, but it sounds to me that you do have a petty theft record, and here is why I say that. You spoke to an officer and later paid a fine, so that indicates to me you received a petty theft infraction for the offense. When you paid the fine, that was an admission to the infraction and there would be no need to go to court. You were not arrested because people usually are not arrested for infractions.

You might be able to clear this up by going to your county's courthouse, going to the criminal clerk's office, and asking if they can check to see if your name, phone number, etc. pops up for an petty theft infraction offense. My guess is that there will be.

afraziaaaa
11-02-11, 03:15 PM
hey everyone, I want to be a marine once i get out of high school but was wondering if i was eligible to join because I was caught shoplifting when i was 14 but i was not arrested. They just had a cop talk to me while i waited to be picked up by my mom and they sent me a fine. Is this the type of thing that could be considered a "criminal background"? Since then i have not been in any trouble.

Thanks for the help

A general rule of thumb is that if you weren't booked or fingerprinted, we treat it almost as if it didn't happen. Again though, speak to a local recruiter.

ash94
11-02-11, 05:43 PM
The question you ask is in a vacuum and difficult to answer without knowing more. You state you were lucky enough to not be arrested or sent to court, but you also say they sent you a fine.

Not every state has the same law with respect to this offense, but it sounds to me that you do have a petty theft record, and here is why I say that. You spoke to an officer and later paid a fine, so that indicates to me you received a petty theft infraction for the offense. When you paid the fine, that was an admission to the infraction and there would be no need to go to court. You were not arrested because people usually are not arrested for infractions.

You might be able to clear this up by going to your county's courthouse, going to the criminal clerk's office, and asking if they can check to see if your name, phone number, etc. pops up for an petty theft infraction offense. My guess is that there will be.

Well I was fined by the store and not by the state so I'm hoping that it wasn't considered a petty theft infraction. Thank you for typing all that for me, it will help in finding out if that mistake messed up my chances or not.

ash94
11-02-11, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I got the number of a recruiter from my school and will call him tomorrow and ask what my chances are.

Phantom Blooper
11-02-11, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I got the number of a recruiter from my school and will call him tomorrow and ask what my chances are.

Don't call....GO SEE THEM.....calling them...they will just say come in and talk.....best to take all pertinent paperwork if there is any so you can start the ball rolling.

Lisa 23
11-02-11, 06:22 PM
Don't call....GO SEE THEM.....calling them...they will just say come in and talk.....best to take all pertinent paperwork if there is any so you can start the ball rolling.

Exactly!!! :thumbup:

I've already mentioned that in a previous post of mine and now Phantom Blooper mentioned it.

MOS4429
11-03-11, 02:34 PM

And before you go see him, ascertain from the courts whether you do have a conviction of any sort.

We see this a lot. A question or request for advice is made, and succinct advice is given, but the wannabe doesn't follow it. They just go do what they were going to do anyway. It is as though they know what they are going to do but out of curiosity, let me "Ask A Marine" before I do what I am gonna do.

Why bother asking if you do not intend on listening?

ash94
11-03-11, 04:56 PM
I do intend to listen and I take the advice gratefully. I'm going to look for the courts around my neighborhood so i can ask them and then i will go talk to a recruiter. Thank you everyone for your advice.

ash94
11-05-11, 09:34 PM
Evening Sirs and Ma'am s, Just thought i'd let everyone know how its been going. I went to the recruiters office and they say everything is good and that it wont be a problem. I also did my first work out with the other Poolees, got my ass kicked. Most awesome day of my life so far. I have a long way to go to get ready for boot camp but nobody said it would be easy.