PDA

View Full Version : Swimming

Crusader0451
10-31-11, 02:22 PM
So you're supposed to use the breast stroke, right? Do they care if you flutter kick with the breast stroke arm motion instead of the frog kick? Also, do they allow the side stroke or the CSS?

Apache
10-31-11, 02:43 PM
Used to be -----
HOW you stayed above the float line was not an issue

I had an advantage,I grew up living on a lake-----
Swimming was a cake walk for me

MOS4429
10-31-11, 03:00 PM
Exactly. No stroke was actually taught as much as treading water and staying above the water line. I sank like a rock, so I preferred rolling to the back and treading water. Could stay afloat longer.

Quinbo
10-31-11, 03:19 PM
Excluding certain events that require they be performed using the crawl stroke .... any of the 3 survival strokes can be used. I'm trying to picture a flutter kick breast stroke and I'm just not seeing it.

SlingerDun
10-31-11, 05:23 PM
Flutter? me neither, and the pool water is too green and cold for a test. But there are two different legit kicks that propel the breast stroke. One is the old school frog kick and the other isn't. It's toes out knees in, more of a squat thrust you might see in aerobics class

Crusader0451
10-31-11, 10:15 PM
Oh, ok. Thank you Marines. And the flutter kick thing is just something I did naturally which I am trying to stop doing. But it does propel me faster when I am going for time. Thank you again.

Quinbo
11-01-11, 12:06 AM
It really seems like a rub your belly pat your head thing would be going on.

MOS4429
11-01-11, 12:12 PM
Excluding certain events that require they be performed using the crawl stroke .... any of the 3 survival strokes can be used. I'm trying to picture a flutter kick breast stroke and I'm just not seeing it.

I am a high school swim coach, and we just had our championship swim meet Saturday. I have a freshman boy seeded 8 in the Top 8 round at 1:11 and went 1:08 for 5th.

No. 1, a flutter kick with breaststroke is an instant disqualification.
No. 2, it doesn't even go. It is not a coordinated function. The kick and stroke go together. A flutter kick would negate it.

Quinbo
11-01-11, 03:41 PM
Hopefully there is still a difference between water survival qualifications and competitive swimming. Your freshmen in 5th place wasn't asked to swim wearing a helmet and combat boots.