PDA

View Full Version : Want to be a United States Marine.

SOWhitfield11
10-30-11, 09:58 PM
Evening Marines. Name is Oscar Whitfield. I am 21 years old as of 3 days ago. I have and have always had great respect for, passion for, and pride in our military. I am still very young and have much to learn about life. I have however made huge leaps in intelligence, maturity and insight since I was 17, 18, and even 19 years old. Very recently I decided with adamant resolve that I want to be a United States Marine, and I'm going to do whatever I need to do to become one. I've never wanted anything more in my life. The reason I say I'm going to do whatever I need to do is there are a few things that may stand in my way or lengthen the amount of time it would take for me to successfully enlist.

Young, ignorant, and unmotivated are just a couple of the qualities that would describe me during my high school years. I was a git and I didnt finish high school. I can blame it on rough childhood being raised by a single mom and blah blah blah. NO EXCUSE! One reality check and wise up later I went to a technical school and got a technical diploma in Automotive Technology. As most know by now the economy is so far down the drain and there are no jobs out there. Im working on getting my GED as I type this, and I know that the fact that I dont have a HS diploma but a GED in its stead is going to be one of the obstacles standing in my way.

I have done quite a bit of research regarding joining the Marine Corps with a GED and there is a lot of conflicting information out there as well as a lot of outdated stuff. I would prefer and look forward to having some conversations with Marines about what they know regarding this obstacle and how big of an obstacle it will be to overcome. I'd also like to see if anyone knows if my technical diploma, credits, and/or credit hours will be worth anything to the Marine Corps towards the whole GED + 15 College Credits to be considered Tier 1 thing.

I excercise and plan on being in excellent shape by the time I actually go see recruiters about enlisting. As far as the ASVAB goes, I personally feel I am very intelligent and believe I will do very well on the ASVAB considering I did extremely well on it as a sophomore in high school and had recruiters from every branch harrassing me about enlistment because of my scores. No, I dont remember my scores sorry.

0311. I want to be a grunt. I really dont want to be anything else but a Marine Rifleman. I have 2 best friends in the Marine Corps. I am very close with both of them and they tell me all their stories. 1 of em went to 8th and I shortly after getting in and theyre both right now preparing for deployment to Afghanistan. Lord watch over them as they walk through the valley (one of them again, his 2nd tour). Theyre both grunts...

I do have student loan debt, I graduated from the technical school in 2010 and have been getting my loan deferred on time so I am in good standing with the loan and can continue to get it deferred for like another 10 years. From the research Ive done this debt isnt really an obstacle for my enlistment or anything like that and is considered "good debt." However to make sure or if anyone wants to touch on the subject, any information would be greatly appreciated. No kids, no dependents, no bad credit, never been in handcuffs, never been pulled over, never touched any kind of drug, dont smoke, only drink socially and I think that wraps it up. Reading over this I pretty much wrote a book lol sorry. Just being thorough. Please share all your knowledge regarding all of this.

Thank you Marines.

Beltayn
10-30-11, 10:25 PM
Not sure what your question is, because you seem to already be aware of all the relevant information.
All the life story motivation is great and all, and I'm glad you can actually write coherently because that seems to be rare enough among poolees and even Marines, but you'll find enlisted Marines tend to be stick-to-the-facts, bullet-points, end-state kind of people.

You know what you need to do. GED+15. That's your end state. Or, if you'd rather, your mission. Now go get it.
There's no shortcuts or insider info that anyone has to tell you that is going to give you any real edge on this. The track doesn't get any shorter, no matter how much you talk about it.

It's like when a troop who sucks at running asks me for tips on how to run faster and tells me their whole life story about why they can't run very fast or for very long. I listen patiently, and then just stare at them blankly and then point down the track. All the time, they knew what they needed to do, they just deep down wanted to talk about doing it instead, hoping that I would eventually give them some kind of out that excused them from having to do it.

You have all the info.
You can see the finish line.
You know exactly how far away it is.
So, if you don't have a question, go start running.

SOWhitfield11
10-30-11, 10:42 PM
Thank you for your reply Marine. Well said. A more clear cut question I could give you is about Tier 2. 5% a year I believe it was. From my understanding that means the Marine Corps IS enlisting people however small the amount with only GEDs without the +15. Im guessing its the cream of the crop of GED applicants with good physicals and high ASVAB scores. In all your opinions am I wasting my time to push to be in that cream? I kno ill be in great shape and I know I can score in a great percentile on the ASVAB. Am I correct that the Corps does enlist people however small the amount without the +15? I'll push to be in that 5% all the while Im working to obtain my +15 and possibly get in before getting the +15 thus saving time and money and accomplishing my goal. Or does it not work like that?

Thank you Marines.

Beltayn
10-30-11, 11:47 PM
We do not enlist individuals with a GED unless they have 15 college credits, no. Remember that generally college classes are 3-credit hours apeice, so that 15 credits is essentially the equivalent of 5 classes. In other words, one semester if you attend school full time, or two semesters if you attend part time.

I am not sure whether CLEP test credits can be counted towards the +15, I would have to research on that. A good place to ask around would be the poolee hall on this forum, as perhaps one of the poolees may know. If they do count, that would be a quick way to get the credits while saving time and money. Why attend class for a whole semester when you can just pay a fee and test out of it in a single day.

So, to answer your questions:
-Yes, we enlist applicants who have the GED+15
-No, we do not enlist applicants who merely have the GED.
-It is never a waste of time working to better yourself, whether you end up enlisting or not.

SOWhitfield11
10-31-11, 06:14 AM
Clears that up. Thank you very much Marine.

MOS4429
10-31-11, 01:33 PM
Shariff, you can search this site in depth and probably find all the answers to all of your questions.

Bottom line, though, is there isn't anything anybody can say that will amount to a hill of beans.

If you are as motivated as you say, you need to go see a recruiter and find out exactly what you need to do in order to get yourself in the best recruitment position possible, and then go do it.

SOWhitfield11
10-31-11, 09:07 PM
Working on that now and my buddy is going to talk to his Staff Sgt who just got off recruiting duty and get me some more information. Thank you for your input Marine.

afraziaaaa
11-01-11, 10:24 AM
In all your opinions am I wasting my time to push to be in that cream?
Thank you Marines.

We are allotted 5% tier 2 per fiscal year. That doesn't mean we use it because it is not a quota we have to fill. If you become one of the 5%, you will most likely ship directly to boot camp with whatever job we need to fill whether it be active or reserve. Basically the Marine Corps has all the cards and you have none. I don't care if you have a 99 ASVAB, a physical profile of 1A, have done 500 hours of volunteer work, can run a 300 PFT, etc. You will have to take what you can get or take nothing.

Yes, you are wasting your time. Go to college.

SOWhitfield11
11-01-11, 11:47 AM
Yes, you are wasting your time. Go to college.

Clear cut answer. Thank you Marine.

Lisa 23
11-01-11, 12:14 PM
Prior to enlisting, my nephew got his GED, had to get a waiver for trouble he got into in the past.........waiver approved, and then went on to college....and graduated. 4 days after graduating college, he left for boot camp. He was a contract PFC and also got the MOS he wanted. He's a Marine Reservist and has been in for almost 2 1/2 years now.
So, in my opinion and what Beltayn already told you......."It is never a waste of time working to better yourself, whether you end up enlisting or not."
And I also agree with what MOS4429 told you........"If you are as motivated as you say, you need to go see a recruiter and find out exactly what you need to do in order to get yourself in the best recruitment position possible, and then go do it."

Good luck to you and keep us updated on how things go.

SOWhitfield11
11-01-11, 10:25 PM
Good luck to you and keep us updated on how things go.

Thank you very much Marine. I appreciate that and will most certainly be keeping all you Marines updated.

SOWhitfield11
11-11-11, 08:59 AM
Happy Veteran's Day to all.

Merc6432
11-11-11, 08:29 PM
As I read your info I realized one thing: Why is your buddy going to the recruiter. You need to do that because the recruiter is just going to tell him to bring you into the office. Just go there or visit a poolee weekend. The poolee weekends will help you get an idea of what is expected physically and find a Marine Mentor to educate you on the basic knowledge. Get a Guidebook from your recruiter and study hard. This will help you get started. Good Luck and Semper Fi!:marine:

SOWhitfield11
11-12-11, 12:42 PM
All done. I know exactly what I need to do and Im already in the process of doing it. Have all my study material already for the GED test and it was on sale so I picked up ASVAB study material as well. After I get my GED Im off to Miami Dade to get my 15 College Creds. Its going to be a slow process because I already have a large student loan that I am deferring so I will have to pay for the classes myself and will probably only be able to afford 1 at a time maybe 2. From some research I did though looks like each class is worth 3 credits so thats 5 classes, not too bad. Gives me time to get in better shape as well.

SOWhitfield11
11-24-11, 10:34 AM
A Happy Thanksgiving to all Marines and your families. God Bless.

sgt108
11-24-11, 01:43 PM
Young man, I was in the Marines 44 yrs ago times and things have changed a lot.
Bottom line go talk to a Marine Recruiter he can and will answer all your concerns and put your mind at ease. Good Luck Semper Fi. Cpl. M Hamann.

SOWhitfield11
11-25-11, 02:04 PM
Young man, I was in the Marines 44 yrs ago times and things have changed a lot.
Bottom line go talk to a Marine Recruiter he can and will answer all your concerns and put your mind at ease. Good Luck Semper Fi. Cpl. M Hamann.

Already done so Cpl. In the process of getting where I need to be. Thank you.

ridingcrops
11-25-11, 06:43 PM
I have to agree with most of the Marines here. Your buddy shouldn't be going to the recruiter you should be standing tall in front of him. And when they take you, and they probably will, then you have to set your mind to becoming a Marine. I remember when the boxer tried and washed out, actually cried to get released. It's not for everyone that's why it's the Marines and damn too few of us. Wear the title with respect young man and good luck.

SOWhitfield11
11-25-11, 06:56 PM
good luck.

Thank you Marine.

CajunPOG
11-27-11, 06:56 AM
Going in a little older is a different experience, and keep in mind that what you get out of your Marine career is what you put into it. I saw you wanted to be a grunt, and nothing but respect for that, most of my buddies are grunts. Keep your mind open though. I was going the same way, ended up changing my contract to leave sooner. At first I was disappointed but I love what I do now. Just be sure to give it everything you've got because skating by doesn't do you any good in the long run. Good luck man. Rah.

SOWhitfield11
11-27-11, 02:20 PM
Going in a little older is a different experience, and keep in mind that what you get out of your Marine career is what you put into it. I saw you wanted to be a grunt, and nothing but respect for that, most of my buddies are grunts. Keep your mind open though. I was going the same way, ended up changing my contract to leave sooner. At first I was disappointed but I love what I do now. Just be sure to give it everything you've got because skating by doesn't do you any good in the long run. Good luck man. Rah.

Thank you for your input Marine. Im giving 100% percent now to get to where I need to be to enlist and I plan on giving the Corps my heart and soul, may even make a career out of it but only time will tell. May I ask what it is that you do in the Corps?

CajunPOG
11-27-11, 03:46 PM
I'm a 5974 Tactical Data Systems Administrator. Basically I setup, maintain, and repair the computer systems that the Air Wing uses to manage the battle theater.

SOWhitfield11
11-27-11, 03:54 PM
I'm a 5974 Tactical Data Systems Administrator. Basically I setup, maintain, and repair the computer systems that the Air Wing uses to manage the battle theater.

Thats interesting. You a career Marine??

CajunPOG
11-27-11, 03:58 PM
Thats interesting. You a career Marine??

I'm considering my options right now. I'm almost done with my bachelor's and I've got good scores for everything I've done so I may try to go to OCS and get commissioned rather than EAS, but there are very lucrative civilian jobs in my field so that's an option too. Or I could just stick with where I'm at, but I'm less likely to do that because my MOS is completely locked out for promotions right now.

sgt108
11-27-11, 04:44 PM
Dear Mr.SOWhitfield11, Send me your e-mail address so I can forward a response to your question on what I did in the corps. Cpl. M Hamann.

SOWhitfield11
11-27-11, 04:54 PM
I'm considering my options right now. I'm almost done with my bachelor's and I've got good scores for everything I've done so I may try to go to OCS and get commissioned rather than EAS, but there are very lucrative civilian jobs in my field so that's an option too. Or I could just stick with where I'm at, but I'm less likely to do that because my MOS is completely locked out for promotions right now.

Wow, you really have alot of options. What's your bachelor's? I actually originally wanted to ask about the civilian options in your field but I couldnt think of anything practical but apparently there are options.

SOWhitfield11
11-27-11, 04:57 PM
Dear Mr.SOWhitfield11, Send me your e-mail address so I can forward a response to your question on what I did in the corps. Cpl. M Hamann.

PM'd Cpl.

CajunPOG
11-28-11, 08:08 AM
Wow, you really have alot of options. What's your bachelor's? I actually originally wanted to ask about the civilian options in your field but I couldnt think of anything practical but apparently there are options.

I've been working on my Political Science Degree. And in the civilian world, there are a lot of Aerospace and Aeronautical Engineering companies that use very similar systems to what I use (Boeing, Lockheed Martin, etc) which would be a pretty sweet gig. But I also build and maintain massive servers so I could work IT for pretty much any company.

sgt108
11-28-11, 08:45 AM
Dear SOwhitfield11, <br />
I was attached to engineer and motor transport battalions in Okinawa and Camp Lejeune after ITR training.I also was attached to the 1st Marine Air wing El Toro air base, Santa...

SOWhitfield11
11-28-11, 09:35 AM
I've been working on my Political Science Degree. And in the civilian world, there are a lot of Aerospace and Aeronautical Engineering companies that use very similar systems to what I use (Boeing, Lockheed Martin, etc) which would be a pretty sweet gig. But I also build and maintain massive servers so I could work IT for pretty much any company.

As if Boeing isnt already in the upper echelon of that industry I hear the company is doing outstanding. That may be a great oppurtunity.

SOWhitfield11
11-28-11, 09:37 AM
Fascinating and motivational to hear about all the things you did in the Corps Cpl. Thank you very much for all your input and I will be keeping everyone up to date on my status via this thread.