PDA

View Full Version : Security forces school?

USMC030393
10-30-11, 06:16 PM
Good evening everybody,

Basically my question is for a marine who went through security forces school recently and can tell me how the life style is there? I am currently at itb, but was wondering what the training was like, how liberty works(such as do we only get weekends off like here or do we just need to show up to the formations whenever told to and have the rest of the time to do what we want?), and what the living conditions are like (room and roomate? Possible to set up a laptop and Internet for online college?)

Thanks for any information you can offer!

BGW
10-30-11, 06:33 PM
Are you talking about your MOS school after ITB? Well allow me to be the first to say that you really should not worry about such pointless little things . Especially when asking them to Marines who have been in for quite a while.

MOS school is going to be the unknown, try not let it bother you.

Another big thing on these forums is that when ever you write/type the word Marine, you must always capitalize the "M".

Good luck and try to embrace everything.

Marinefelon
11-05-11, 08:12 PM
Security Forces school is sweet and fun. I did it in 05 but I know people who have gone through since. Don't worry about it. You will look back and enjoy it.

If your at ITB -east coast I am re-enlisting there on the 15th LOL

USMC030393
11-05-11, 08:19 PM
That's good to hear. Thank you Sgt, and yes I am itb east, Charlie company! haha. I'm still in the moto mode, wanting the next thing to come now. It's all time! Just have to keep trekking :tank:

Marinefelon
11-06-11, 07:30 PM
I will tell you of all the schools I went to. SOI was the worst! So if your like me and get through that.... the rest is pretty easy.

Sucks your going to be growing up in a Marine Corps that doesn't roll sleeves anymore!

USMC030393
11-06-11, 08:06 PM
I'm near done with soi, ready for the rest.

As for the sleeves, I mastered that skill at boot and now I can't use it...I hope it gets changed back sometime

rchrdharris
11-07-11, 08:06 AM
Are you talking about your MOS school after ITB? Well allow me to be the first to say that you really should not worry about such pointless little things . Especially when asking them to Marines who have been in for quite a while.

MOS school is going to be the unknown, try not let it bother you.

Another big thing on these forums is that when ever you write/type the word Marine, you must always capitalize the "M".

Good luck and try to embrace everything.

Attitude check! This MARINE is just seeking some input, that's all. Looks like some fellow Marines are helping out. Semper Fi:usmc:

thewookie
11-07-11, 10:01 AM
Good evening everybody,

Basically my question is for a marine who went through security forces school recently and can tell me how the life style is there? I am currently at itb, but was wondering what the training was like, how liberty works(such as do we only get weekends off like here or do we just need to show up to the formations whenever told to and have the rest of the time to do what we want?), and what the living conditions are like (room and roommate? Possible to set up a laptop and Internet for online college?)

Thanks for any information you can offer!

My info is getting dated, especially at the basic school, but I went through as a student in 94, taught the basic course as an Instructor in 97, and then taught CQB for my last 18 months in.

You will probably get there and be put on hold waiting for your class to pick up, seems to be the case these days. Could be a few days, or a few weeks. While on hold you will polish up on your working party skills. :yes: Being at SOI you know what that entails, but it should be a little less ghey than there where because I am sure there is a higher degree of ghey working party games going on at SOI.

Don't get in trouble in Chesapeake, DON"T GET IN TROUBLE THERE.

I did that for a reason.

You're going to get a little more freedom at BSG/Chesapeake than you did at SOI -- so don't be the 1% that can't handle it and gets in trouble. The school itself doesn't require a lot of G2 - most Marines have no problems finishing the school. It's not easy, but it's not rocket science. Just shut your pie hole and open your ears, and you'll be on to your duty station in no time.

At the basic school you will get classes on physical security, weapons, guard procedures, hand to hand -- the basic stuff. You'll go down range and familiarization shoot and/or qualify with the various shotguns, the M9 service pistol probably some M4 and maybe a little MP5. The range facilities are top notch and that will most likely be the best part of training there.

The night life there bites, well it does in the Chesapeake area. Get a few Jarheads with you and grab a cab and take the twenty minute ride to VA Beach where you can sport your new high and tight with your white skivi shirt, cut off jean shorts, and beige combat boots (back in my days cool dudes did it in Jungles)!

No seriously, don't be that Marine.

There is lots of poo-nanny in VA Beach but there is an equal amount of po-po that would love to take your ass in for being "that Marine".

Don't be that Marine.

Unless you want to be out of security forces and in the fleet, cause if you get in trouble in VA Beach or anywhere while in training, you might not like the consequences.

The basic school is fun. You will learn alot and the overall lifestyle after 1700 is going to be noteable better than what you have seen before. You will have morning formations and runs, but you will get turned loose each day at or around 1700 - unless you have duty. When I was there the "new" student barracks were being built/ started to get used, and I imagine it's pretty much the same. NCO's had two-three man rooms, troops stayed in the open air barracks -- nice set up though.

Have fun, learn something, and don't be that Marine.

Once you get to your duty station you will find there are an abundance of opportunities to further your career -- if you are not that Marine.

Get my point?

Have fun, good luck.

Hunt1284
11-07-11, 05:49 PM
I'm still in the moto mode, wanting the next thing to come now.

You better stay in motto mode warrior! Don't let miserable turds who hate life discourage you from being motivated. I've been in 6 years and I'm still motivated! There is nothing wrong with loving the Marine Corps. I worked a fulltime job for 4 years before joining and I hated civilian life. Stay away from Marines that bring you down. We have enough turds as it is. Good luck in MOS school, fun times...

USMC030393
11-12-11, 06:54 AM
That was a lot of great info, thanks a lot. Another thing im curious about is will I be living in a squad bay or a room with a room mate? As well as will I be able to have Internet access in my room to bring a laptop and start online school using tuition assistance? I got the pres. Support job that is screened for at boot so I have another school after security forces school too. Thanks again for all the help.

Happy belated birthday by the way! I had my first marine corps b day in the field haha