PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam: It’s show time.

Riven37
10-29-11, 12:55 PM
On November 8th, on the History Channel we will be a weekly series called Vietnam in HD. I don’t know about many of you but when will they leave us alone, and let us rest in peace.

FistFu68
10-29-11, 01:02 PM
:evilgrin: Yeah I got a Real War Movie going on in My Head!!!They'ed probably OutLaw it at The CANNES Film Festival for being too SCAREY for the Public to View,so I think I'll just NOT watch this Show Time Special...Semper Fidelis :iwo:

Mongoose
10-29-11, 03:35 PM
Thing is, there wasn't anyone around filming us. Haven't seen one thing about Marine grunts, showing the way it really was. If they had, the War Dept. would have banned it.

jamielang1951
10-29-11, 04:59 PM
They aren't going to f*ck'n to leave us alone. :mad:
I made a memorial video for my daughter and one I made of Vietnam posted on my YouTube account (same account handle as here). One of those Westboro church types saw it and started sending me PM's about how God killed her, my mom and dad because I was in Vietnam and how he prays all my kids die and I burn in hell. I blocked him, but still get one every so often from some asswipe. Thought all that was over years ago. I guess the GD place will always haunt us.
I don't have PTSD from Nam, worst thing I had was a few short round 122's fired over us at the Air Base, and I had to handle the and KIA messages (God I wish I could remember some of those kids names). I joined the Corps and volunteered for Nam, not to fight for our country, or Nam, but I thought my brothers needed my help. The problem I have is how we were treated when we came back to the world.
Until I joined here, I though I was the only one with the attitude of "F*ch em, keep their "thanks and welcome home" BS. I have my brothers and sisters, that's all I need.

:usmc: Semper Fi :usmc:

Zulu 36
10-29-11, 08:42 PM
FWIW. I was just watching teasers for the Vietnam program and they were showing vid clips of Marines firing 106mm at the treasury building in Hue. So, some Marine grunts will probably be on the program.

advanced
10-30-11, 06:16 AM
If I'm in any movies from the Nam, like Jack said, it's in the heads of my Brother Marines. Like Mongoose said, the cameramen didn't have the balls to be with us.

IMPORTANT: If I do receive an Oscar I'll share it with ya'll.

Riven37
10-30-11, 06:51 AM
What I saw on the commercial was a dude removing a bush cap off a skull on a pole is a taste of what they are going to show in this series then it is a poor judgment call. I am not proud of things I had to do to stay alive but the public doesn’t need to see the insanity we, you, me had to live through to make sure we stayed alive. I am sure they’ll show guys smoking dope or shooting up the H but those guys were removed quickly from the unit (s) at least in mine they were, and we had a few guys who were junkies. I fear this new series will shed more bad light on our already tarnished past. It makes me sick to my stomach knowing the public will see this crap.

Mongoose
10-30-11, 10:12 AM
Rick, any mary-jane or drug use had to have been after I was gone. I don't remember any incidents involving drugs in my unit. But then again, we was never where you could get it. Even our rear area was an old abandoned rock crusher, in the middle of the bush.

advanced
10-30-11, 10:25 AM
One night while in the rear at An Hoa I was on line duty. Well, they always put 4 of us to a bunker and since I was always bunker commander I always took first watch up till midnight. This one night they only had 3 of us from my squad and the 4th guy was from someplace else.

One of my guys woke me up at about 4 in the morning and said the new guy was smoking grass, you could really smell the ****. The three of us kicked his ass good for endangering our lives and chased him away. This was the only time I ever saw it or smelled it over there.

Zulu 36
10-30-11, 10:57 AM
Rick, any mary-jane or drug use had to have been after I was gone. I don't remember any incidents involving drugs in my unit. But then again, we was never where you could get it. Even our rear area was an old abandoned rock crusher, in the middle of the bush.

Marijuana and hash were commonly used when I was there. Most consumption was done off-duty (remember I was with the Wing, so we generally worked 12-hr shifts). Personally, to this day, I have never smoked weed or used any other illegal drug, but I was around it periodically in Vietnam. I couldn't get too worked up over people doing weed in their off time seeing as I often drank myself stupid when off duty.

When I was on-duty, it was another thing - complete sobriety. I far as I knew, even the pot heads stayed straight on-duty.

We had several unannounced **** tests and the only hot pops in my unit came back for THC, no heroin. They gave you warnings back then for weed.

Some day I'll regale everyone with my excellent adventures with NIS as a candidate drug informant. Dude.

Mongoose
10-30-11, 10:59 AM
One night while in the rear at An Hoa I was on line duty. Well, they always put 4 of us to a bunker and since I was always bunker commander I always took first watch up till midnight. This one night they only had 3 of us from my squad and the 4th guy was from someplace else.

One of my guys woke me up at about 4 in the morning and said the new guy was smoking grass, you could really smell the ****. The three of us kicked his ass good for endangering our lives and chased him away. This was the only time I ever saw it or smelled it over there.
Russ, I know it was a problem in the last couple of years. But the truth is, units that was doing all the fighting, didn't have the time or the means to indulge in that shet. At least we didn't. I have seen the after-action report for my unit, for the time I was there. And we had more self-inflicted wound cases than drug incidents. But you never hear anyone talking about that shet.

Riven37
10-30-11, 11:27 AM
I am sure we all can pick out one or two incidents about the dobby use. Just because we all had different types of experiences doesn’t mean, (Mongoose) that the drug use didn’t happen; you just didn’t get one of those drug hippies placed into your unit. No matter how small the use was or wasn’t it is still blackens our eyes when they show guys smoking the weed in this type of series, that’s my meaning. There is a famous video of three guys in the smoking weed shotgun style out of an M-16 most likely they were sitting somewhere behind their hooch on some firebase; its bad PR. Anyway, this new series I fear will not be favorable.

FistFu68
10-30-11, 01:03 PM
:evilgrin:We had a Marine in My Squad,that said F**k it I can't take this Chit anymore (AKA.Tha Bush) after He came back from an In Country R&R.This Cpl.lites up a Ready Roll that Evedentally He sprinkled with HEROINE,as He was Jonesing from His Fighting Hole...My Company Gunny at that time was a Marine from the Frozen Chosen,He went ANIMAL on that Cpl...Beat the Holy F**K outta Him,Stripped Him of his Cpl.Chevrons off His Flak Jacket took His Rifle,All His Ammo,Gernades,Bayonet,Helmet and Duece Gear and at the Point of His 12 Guage made His sorry Azz walk at Nite outta our AO~~~To our Company Commander that was what seemed like another World away Distance wise!!!Alway's wondered whatEv happended too Him,Guess He been Luckier If tha Gooners Wasted Him on His way,'cause our CO,Was also a Korean War Veteran,HE did not take too Fondly to DRUGGIES.:iwo:

Mongoose
10-30-11, 01:33 PM
Jack, was one of your CO's, while you was there, Capt. Egan? Our series Commander from boot camp was 1st. Lt. Egan. He was promoted to Capt. and was sent to Nam. I was told later that he was a Company Commander for India co. at one time. He was also a Korean vet.

FistFu68
10-30-11, 01:45 PM
:evilgrin: That's a Big AFFIRMATITTY Billy,Eagan was a BadAzz,My 1st.CO,Was Capt.Wild Bill Dabney,He was and Still is Married too Chesty Pullers Daughter,He retired as a Full Bird,Billy,Eagan got transferred Then We Got another Mustanger Capt.R.E.Hoover Sr.He was from A-Company 3rd.Recon,Also a Korean War Veteran,F**K He was Tougher than a WOODPECKERS LIPS!!! Semper Fi Brother,Pattie sends Her Love :thumbup: :iwo:

Zulu 36
10-30-11, 02:11 PM
:evilgrin:We had a Marine in My Squad,that said F**k it I can't take this Chit anymore (AKA.Tha Bush) after He came back from an In Country R&R.This Cpl.lites up a Ready Roll that Evedentally He sprinkled with HEROINE,as He was Jonesing from His Fighting Hole...My Company Gunny at that time was a Marine from the Frozen Chosen,He went ANIMAL on that Cpl...Beat the Holy F**K outta Him,Stripped Him of his Cpl.Chevrons off His Flak Jacket took His Rifle,All His Ammo,Gernades,Bayonet,Helmet and Duece Gear and at the Point of His 12 Guage made His sorry Azz walk at Nite outta our AO~~~To our Company Commander that was what seemed like another World away Distance wise!!!Alway's wondered whatEv happended too Him,Guess He been Luckier If tha Gooners Wasted Him on His way,'cause our CO,Was also a Korean War Veteran,HE did not take too Fondly to DRUGGIES.:iwo:

Isn't that a song by Crosby, Stills, and Nash?

FistFu68
10-30-11, 04:53 PM
:beer:LOL-Sgt.Z~~~Think tha Cpl.ended up on Tha Marakesh Express :D

DocGreek
10-30-11, 05:05 PM
......I was a Squid with Lima, 3/3/3, in 1969 and then Captain C. Krulak was our CO. Our campany was "volunteered" for every crappy/high casualty mission!
NO DOPER'S!!! There wasn't ANY time, day, or night, to lite-up. And the RAIN!!!.......HOLY SH!T!!!!
AHHHHHH.....the "good ol' day's"! FVCK the GOOD OL' DAY'S!!!!!!
SEMPER FI.......Doc Greek.....:flag:

Mongoose
10-30-11, 05:19 PM
......I was a Squid with Lima, 3/3/3, in 1969 and then Captain C. Krulak was our CO. Our campany was "volunteered" for every crappy/high casualty mission!
NO DOPER'S!!! There wasn't ANY time, day, or night, to lite-up. And the RAIN!!!.......HOLY SH!T!!!!
AHHHHHH.....the "good ol' day's"! FVCK the GOOD OL' DAY'S!!!!!!
SEMPER FI.......Doc Greek.....:flag:
That's what I was saying, Doc. Jack and I was in the 3/26. It was designated reserve Bn. for the whole 1st. Div. We were in on every damn operation that came down the pike. At the end of Dec.68 every one with 6 months or more in Country went afloat to rest for a week. Every one with less than 6, stayed in the bush. Things didn't slow down for the 3/26 till middle of Aug.69, when we got a slacker job of protecting the Nam O bridge. I was already gone then.

Zulu 36
10-30-11, 07:04 PM
LOL-Sgt.Z~~~Think tha Cpl.ended up on Tha Marakesh Express :D

Hahahaha! :beer:

advanced
10-30-11, 07:18 PM
Russ, I know it was a problem in the last couple of years. But the truth is, units that was doing all the fighting, didn't have the time or the means to indulge in that shet. At least we didn't. I have seen the after-action report for my unit, for the time I was there. And we had more self-inflicted wound cases than drug incidents. But you never hear anyone talking about that shet.

I agree, I don't know where that ******* was from.

montana
11-08-11, 09:23 AM
mornin..i just got an email from a bro that i was in Nam with...said theres a new book out called What its like to go to war....By Marlantes
Was written with PTSD and the Combat Marine a its underlying issue...it focusing on Vietnam vets....he said its one of the best reads hes seen in a long time...

just thought id throw that out here

Wyoming
11-08-11, 09:36 AM
****'em. I'm a Winger, and lived in splendor, and don't need no ****ing TV show to tell me what it was like.

Like a lot, I kept it all to myself for a long time. Forums like this, Marine Vets, and the yearly reunions I try to attend, make it all a bit easier.

If and when I wear a VietNam Veteran ball cap, unless she is big tittied and a good looker, I don't give a rats ass to listen to the others, UNLESS, they have BTDT. Most of them have a guilt complex and are asking for their own forgivness.

Like I say, '****'em'. A true Vet can pick out a true Vet, with no words spoken.

SgtThrasher
11-08-11, 10:22 AM

Amen ,Mongoose .I never saw any drug use in my tour in the Northern I Corps area either ,not one time ,but we were portrayed as drugged out crazies.I'm 63 and have never used Marijuana or drugs in my life,heck I don't smoke or drink ! I wonder how many hippies from the 60's can say that?

advanced
11-08-11, 01:02 PM
Amen ,Mongoose .I never saw any drug use in my tour in the Northern I Corps area either ,not one time ,but we were portrayed as drugged out crazies.I'm 63 and have never used Marijuana or drugs in my life,heck I don't smoke or drink ! I wonder how many hippies from the 60's can say that?

Not me.

Mongoose
11-08-11, 01:06 PM
Not me.
Russ, you have an image to uphold.

montana
11-08-11, 02:09 PM
lol...aint sayin nothin

advanced
11-08-11, 03:23 PM
Russ, you have an image to uphold.

That's right, I was on the other side, I was a Marine. I sometimes forget.

kaelobo
11-09-11, 11:06 AM
My Mom has been returning thing back to her sons , she gave me a bunch of letters i wrote from rvn,and other shet and a "Handbook for US forces in vietnam" i must of sent it home, i was looking through it , what a trip, 10 packs and oj's black beauty was alive and well with the my fellow Marines , i was kinda and out cast when we were in the rear at dong ha . i didn't smoke drink, another Marine was like me we ran and pt"ed till we move out ,1 was 18 he was 18, he got messed up from a mine. i held him and a ten pack fell out of his flack j, you dont know who drug en what i think. s/f

kaelobo
11-09-11, 12:26 PM
My spelling is so bad i meant FLAK JACKET, please excuse my grammar,:nerd:

Flyfish99
11-09-11, 02:21 PM
Thing is, there wasn't anyone around filming us. Haven't seen one thing about Marine grunts, showing the way it really was. If they had, the War Dept. would have banned it.

Hadn't thought about it in awhile but I don't remember even seeing a photographer. And very few correspondants . There were no Joe Galloways in our area.

(The one correspondant that I remember was when we first went to the DMZ there was a pretty red- haired lady standing beside the battalion commander in the elephant grass as we filed by . French I think .)

ecfree
11-09-11, 02:31 PM
Hadn't thought about it in awhile but I don't remember even seeing a photographer. And very few correspondants . There were no Joe Galloways in our area.

(The one correspondant that I remember was when we first went to the DMZ there was a pretty red- haired lady standing beside the battalion commander in the elephant grass as we filed by . French I think .)
We had a Life Mag. reporter/photog. that boarded our H34 at DaNang one mornin,but he couldn't get a good hold on anything to get in and set,as we went out out over water he took a swim....;)
SEMPER FI:iwo:...................Ed

qz2026
11-11-11, 10:57 AM
The DHD broadcast was pretty good. They even covered how the general public treated us like outcasts when we came back. That is probably what I will remember the most about my two years in country. At least now the guys are getting respect, however I feel now that they are being used totally for political purposes.

Drugs - Yeah I remember people using drugs. I was making my rounds one night as Sgt of the Guard and caught a couple of guys on guard duty smoking dope. I put my 1911 to ones head and told him the next time I saw this, he would no longer be part of our company. Well, that's not exactly what I said, but you get the drift. Funny, I never had that problem again. And, I don't know about doing drugs "off duty". I don't know about the guy who made that comment, but I was never off duty.

FistFu68
11-11-11, 11:12 AM
:evilgrin: After a long Weekend My Ole Company Gunny say's Jack when the S.P's dropped your YoungButt off at tha Gate You were Dragging Your Dick Son,I goes Yes Sir Gunny...But I'm Good 2 go now!!! Does tha Fact that Dragging My DICK Technically make a DRUGGIE...After all I was on MORPHINE every 4 hrs for 11 Months...For Wounds Recieved in tha Line Of Duty,Not Misconduct!!!...F**k I could drink a Bottle of Jack D Myself and Still get Back too Tha Ship...and I ain't talking a 1/2 Pint Either...:beer: :iwo:

advanced
11-14-11, 08:46 AM
I recorded the Vietnam movie, so far, I'm into the second part, it's all army. Even when they talk about Marines it's army guys going in on Huey's and they don't look like any Marines I ever saw. Real disappointment so far.

kaelobo
11-14-11, 10:23 AM
i watch the 69/70 series,it seems what iseen was some marines,i heard dong ha mentioned ,got a far as the part of vets protesting the war, i didnt like being there but it came a point i thought i was not going to make it,than i got short i used to count seconds that way i knew time was not standing still, weird i know. i didnot take many pic dont remember anybody taking pic, maybe they did there were some photographers in quang tri city, excuse me Russ my mouth kinda runeth over, i get a break in the snow iwill be back in the mountains firewood seasons, lot of cute snow bunnies come to ski and need wood, s/f

Riven37
11-14-11, 11:29 AM
This past Veterans Day I’ve received more dirty looks from people while doing some shopping for the week. I told myself yep, they must have been watching that new HD Vietnam series on TV because I felt those bad feelings I felt back when I came home from those protesters in Seattle. I have no need to watch that series why watch what you lived through once. I only had two people told me thank you for my service, and two others who said Happy Veterans D, and I replied to the two right to their faces,….

“You’re such a MORON, Veterans Day isn’t a Happy holiday you dumb A$$; it’s a day of reflection of the dead we (America) lost in all wars from 1776-2011 !” This is the first Veterans day that I felt really angry. I notice this in myself the older I become the less patience I have for people.

AS for News people in Nam, I saw only one who wanted to go on patrol with us, and we told him NO, could have been freelancer he wasn‘t from a network. I spoke to a reporter from stars and stripes one day I don’t even remember for what, hum, don’t mean nothing.

Some of the guys would take those pictures holding their weapons to send back home to look cool many of those guys were new in country or had only a couple of weeks in. I did take any picture until I became a (short timer) feeling cool with my short timer stick adding a new notch each day until that freedom bird landed. I had a punch of pictures by that time but when time came to leave those dudes in DaNang made me dumb my sea bag, and taken all those pictures. So don’t feel bad guys if you have no pictures…..I’m rambling, I’ll stop.

montana
11-14-11, 11:47 AM
i have never gone to any veteran get togeather...i dont want any thank you for your service bs form those who had nothing good to say to me for more then 30 years after i got home....i still obay the last orders i got when getting off the plane in sunny Cali....keep a low profile because your not very well liked back here in the US
i did watch the nam flick....only stured up bad memories...still dont know who all made it home and who didnt....cant help feeling like i let them down by leaving them behinde

redman1
11-14-11, 03:31 PM
i have never gone to any veteran get togeather...i dont want any thank you for your service bs form those who had nothing good to say to me for more then 30 years after i got home....i still obay the last orders i got when getting off the plane in sunny Cali....keep a low profile because your not very well liked back here in the US
i did watch the nam flick....only stured up bad memories...still dont know who all made it home and who didnt....cant help feeling like i let them down by leaving them behinde

Montana you said it all
Only thing I have to add is that I taped the series but can't and won't watch it until my wife is sitting with me and then can't watch it all. I do think it is good that people can see kinda the way it was but you don't know unless you were there.
Guess I always want to keep it in my mind for my brothers that didn't make it back and for thoes of us that did.
I still feel guilty that I made it home and never got wounded.
I am proud to know Marines like all of you and can call you all brothers.
Semper Fi Buddy:flag:

mike601
11-14-11, 05:04 PM
The History channel aired it on Veterans day, Thought that was kinda stupid on their part to act as if the show were a gift from them to veterans. Nobody showed you guys any appreciation when you got back and treated you like sh*t, Now in 2011 they want to make a show about the sh*t YOU lived to present to YOU on Veterans day.. Good job, History.

FistFu68
11-14-11, 08:29 PM
:mad: They are EXPLOTING US For $$$$$$$ :mad:

advanced
11-14-11, 08:29 PM
I finally stopped watching the damn thing, what bs. It was total army even Ky Son was about the army on some hill, nothing about the Marines. Don't waste your time like I did.

ecfree
11-14-11, 08:51 PM
Never watched it,didn't plan on watching it and glad I didn't...It would have started some nasty stuff going on in my head and I don't want that...nuff said....
SEMPER FI:iwo:......................Ed

Zulu 36
11-15-11, 04:58 AM
What I have seen of this show left me underwhelmed.

chulaivet1966
11-15-11, 10:10 AM
As advanced states it's all Army so my interest level was contingent on my perceptions and their approach to the history/facts.
(If we are talking the same series).

No...I don't pretend to know all the facts but when they said (like 2 or 3 times) that Ia Drang was a 'victory' I lost interest.
We all have our perspectives.

Just my take on it.....carry on.

mikeboston
11-15-11, 11:00 AM
hey, brother, Kinda agree. Have you heard about Mike Avery-prof. at Suffolk U here in Boston? He's against 1) mothers collecting stuff for 'care pkgs' to send to military in war zones. 2) he believes all military personnel go to war specifically so they can kill people, 3) He hates to see the American flag hanging in Suffolk U foyer. Calls it 'over-zealous'. Wants it down....

mikeboston
11-15-11, 11:02 AM
That is, I agree that the world should leave us alone at this point.....I am SICK, Hurt, angry, and a little numb, about this friggen' professor at Suffolk Law School and his attack on military, American flag, and mothers of military personnel who are deployed.... We GOTTA go talk to him...

bobpettit
05-05-14, 10:05 PM
Had dope H&HS 11th Mar 1966-67. Burned a pvt who was not at his guard post.

montana
12-31-14, 12:55 AM
I still jump when the bullets just miss my face...I still flinch when the RPGs fired at me send me ass over teaketles...don't need movies don't need shinks or anyone else telling me how I feel or what it was like...I still cry when I see my brothers dead body...these play over and over....no mater how hard I try to stop them....and yes im angery at the way we were treated.....was told to keep a low profile when we landed back in the world,,,because we weren't very will liked...so be it

xkilo155
12-31-14, 06:35 PM
On November 8th, on the History Channel we will be a weekly series called Vietnam in HD. I don’t know about many of you but when will they leave us alone, and let us rest in peace.

It don't mean noth'in.....................Semper Fi

HST
01-01-15, 12:45 PM