PDA

View Full Version : Major TA overhaul

iamspartacus
10-17-11, 05:53 PM
Just got an e-mail notice from my command about a new tuition assistance program. Check out Maradmin 616/11 (http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN616-11.aspx/). The biggest change is they're lowering the dollar amount to $875 per fiscal year. They're also adding a lot of significant stipulations.

This doesn't apply to me anymore, but I thought I'd share it as a PSA. Anyone who is currently using TA is in for a rude awakening.

BGW
10-17-11, 07:37 PM
I thought the only change was that TA paid only 75% and you pay the remainder. So You will only be able to take one or maybe two classes a year now? Three credits was like $575 still? Well that sucks.

Phantom Blooper
10-22-11, 08:29 AM
By looking at the initial title to this thread I thought it was about plastic surgery...

Tennessee Top
10-22-11, 12:45 PM
Back in the day it covered everything 100%. I finished my AA and BS degrees on active duty using TA and don't remember ever writing a check for anything (but that was over 20 years ago so I may be forgetting something). After retiring, used my old GI Bill and went back to school full-time (that time, after tuition, books, and lab fees were paid, still had money left over I put toward my rent). Having a four year degree did translate into a higher starting salary with my current employer so the hard work did pay off (for those contemplating if it's worth it or not).

Got to figure if it's too good of a deal today you'll get screwed out of it one way or another.

Ceckert85
10-23-11, 02:06 PM
this is bull ****ing ****