PDA

View Full Version : hey a little nervous...

alimarine
09-16-11, 03:06 PM
Hi, my name is Ali im a 21 year old male. I want nothing more then to become a marine. I am going to meps early this october and im very very excited to get this process going. I know there is a long wait but im sure its worth while. My problem occurs here, my mother and father are from Afghanistan and i worry about not getting the respect i want as a marine from fellow marines...the reason why i am joining the marines is for our country and because the marines is such a brotherhood. I would like some input and some honest opinions on what i should expect. No matter what i will be a marine its my dream. Thanks for your help guys..:)

Rocky C
09-16-11, 03:09 PM
You better square away your profile and marine is spelled Marine !!!

alimarine
09-16-11, 03:10 PM
I apologize Marine*

Tookie22
09-16-11, 03:12 PM
Backgrounds do not matter. Im brown my best friends are white black asian... want to know a secret? We are all brothers in Marpat fighting the same enemy. You'll get a hard time, but everyone does. Marines are sarcastic and evil but in the most hilarious way. Trust me as long as you are motivated and a hard worker who gets themission accomplished you'll be alright.

alimarine
09-16-11, 03:14 PM
Backgrounds do not matter. Im brown my best friends are white black asian... want to know a secret? We are all brothers in Marpat fighting the same enemy. You'll get a hard time, but everyone does. Marines are sarcastic and evil but in the most hilarious way. Trust me as long as you are motivated and a hard worker who gets themission accomplished you'll be alright.
Man, thats all i wanted to hear, i am motivated and excited. felt a little weird flat out asking my recruiter idk why. My best friend is a cpl. in the Marines and she tells me this, just wanted to make sure she wasnt making me feel good about the decision im making. Thanks!

DrZ
09-16-11, 03:32 PM
You will get cheap shots...we all do/did. It is part of the game and the nature of the beast. I thought when I got my rocker...all cheap shots would go away but nope.... they were there but then I got them from SgtMaj on down...and even the WOs and Officers got in on it.

Don't sweat the petty sh!t. Eyes and ears open....mouth shut. Focus on your goal and then get your butt back here with your title so we can welcome you into the family.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

alimarine
09-16-11, 04:19 PM
You will get cheap shots...we all do/did. It is part of the game and the nature of the beast. I thought when I got my rocker...all cheap shots would go away but nope.... they were there but then I got them from SgtMaj on down...and even the WOs and Officers got in on it.

Don't sweat the petty sh!t. Eyes and ears open....mouth shut. Focus on your goal and then get your butt back here with your title so we can welcome you into the family.

Semper Fi,
DrZ
Thanks allot, this is the information i need, you've all been a big help "eyes and ears open, mouth shut!" Thanks a whole lot Cant wait till I can be a Marine

CajunPOG
09-17-11, 05:31 PM
As long as you can put up with some good-natured hassling, you'll be fine. We all make fun of each other for anything we can. Everyone in my unit calls me Mongo or the Ape, because I'm the biggest and strongest (and incidentally the hairiest too). We have a Marine whose family is from Pakistan and we give him a hard time but it's all in good fun. We're all Marines first and foremost and treat each other as such.

USMC030393
09-18-11, 07:59 PM
You shouldn't have any issues. They only problems may come if your MOS would need a Top Security Clearance. For my clearance they asked me multiple times if I have any family outside of the country, live(d) outside the country, or did business outside our country. I don't know the specifics of your parents, but overall that won't prevent you from joining.

As for opinions of other Marines...don't worry about them. We are all brothers, and all brothers fighter and mess with each other. Just don't let the opinions of others break you down or stop you from your goal. Good luck on your future! :flag:

alimarine
09-18-11, 08:10 PM
You shouldn't have any issues. They only problems may come if your MOS would need a Top Security Clearance. For my clearance they asked me multiple times if I have any family outside of the country, live(d) outside the country, or did business outside our country. I don't know the specifics of your parents, but overall that won't prevent you from joining.

As for opinions of other Marines...don't worry about them. We are all brothers, and all brothers fighter and mess with each other. Just don't let the opinions of others break you down or stop you from your goal. Good luck on your future! :flag:
Thanks buddy good info. I feel at ease after reading all of this. And hopefully if I need a top security clearance it wont effect me. Thanks guys cant wait to enlist :)

sparkie
09-18-11, 08:13 PM
All is green,,,,,,, all I can see.

Lisa 23
09-18-11, 08:15 PM
Thanks buddy good info. I feel at ease after reading all of this. And hopefully if I need a top security clearance it wont effect me. Thanks guys cant wait to enlist :)

How about "Thanks Marines".

alimarine
09-18-11, 08:25 PM
Thanks Marines* im sorry, too excited to to go to meps and enlist.Guess it just blew over my head =(

USMC030393
09-18-11, 08:30 PM
Thanks Marines* im sorry, too excited to to go to meps and enlist.Guess it just blew over my head =(

You learn it all at boot...real quick.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-18-11, 08:54 PM
Yup. Chin up! No worries. You'll be fine. It's going to be a fine adventure!