PDA

View Full Version : this is crazy

madman1042002
08-26-11, 07:09 PM
Hello everyone i dont know if im taking this the wrong way or what but this crazy to me i am reading this article that has this paragraph in it

In 2004, MSNBC reported that in the first two years of the Iraq war, the Air Force handed out more than 69,000 awards and honors, including 1,900 Bronze Stars. The Army presented more than 40,000, including 13,000 Bronze Stars. The Marines had 200 Bronze Stars out of 1,000 medals presented

I know the Marines are the smallest branch but only 1,000 medals really what are your takes on this subject.

Zulu 36
08-26-11, 08:21 PM
Hello everyone i dont know if im taking this the wrong way or what but this crazy to me i am reading this article that has this paragraph in it

In 2004, MSNBC reported that in the first two years of the Iraq war, the Air Force handed out more than 69,000 awards and honors, including 1,900 Bronze Stars. The Army presented more than 40,000, including 13,000 Bronze Stars. The Marines had 200 Bronze Stars out of 1,000 medals presented

I know the Marines are the smallest branch but only 1,000 medals really what are your takes on this subject.

My take? Marines don't give them away. Never did.

The Army automatically gives a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart to anyone KIA. In the Marines, you get PH unless you earned something else while getting killed.

Earned, never given, just like the title. As it should be.

DanM
08-26-11, 08:22 PM
I believe the last time this was posted,it was deleted by Sgt.Lep.

Zulu 36
08-26-11, 08:41 PM
I guess we'll find out soon enough, Doc. :scared: **sound of helo inbound**

madman1042002
08-26-11, 09:00 PM
I believe the last time this was posted,it was deleted by Sgt.Lep.

if it was i didnt know

madman1042002
08-26-11, 09:04 PM
My take? Marines don't give them away. Never did.

The Army automatically gives a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart to anyone KIA. In the Marines, you get PH unless you earned something else while getting killed.

Earned, never given, just like the title. As it should be.

but doesnt this make you a tad bit angry. to me this sucks a lot like Marines dont get right amount of appreciation

Quinbo
08-27-11, 12:05 AM
The bronze star without a "V" is simply a higher commendation medal. The Army and the Air Force hand them out in garrison as commendation medals. I'll bet if you crunched the numbers across the forces for only those with a "V", the numbers would not appear so skewed.

Mxzero
08-27-11, 03:45 AM
Battalion SgtMajs, COs and I think XOs get bronze stars like they're candy. The award without combat V itself doesn't exactly mean too much. And Marines have always been more stingy with ribbons then other branches, just the way it works.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-27-11, 07:20 AM
I'll allow this for the time being as long as it doesn't spiral into something else. Dan, can't recall why I dumped the other thread but I'll monitor this one closely.

However, I'd say to first concern yourself with earning the title...then worry about awards and such.

All the other Marines on this thread are correct, however.

Nedward
08-28-11, 02:19 AM
While all of this is true, there is one award that seems to be the one handed out a little too lightly.

Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal.

We had a female marine get awarded this because she called 911 because a Marine had a weapon on base.
We had another one (an armorer) who denied a Marine who tried to check out his rifle because he was showing signs that he wanted to harm himself.

I personally dont think these actions exemplify what the NAM is supposed to be awarded for.

PJones64
08-28-11, 07:49 AM
The op should probably, probably worry about makiing it through boot camp, as a priority.