PDA

View Full Version : Handguns...

edwinrivera1990
08-22-11, 01:47 PM
So I've never shot a real weapon in my life and I know most of the recruits that go into bootcamp are in the same boat as me. I've also heard that it's better because then you learn the right away as opposed to people who have picked up bad habits, they're harder to break. My question is what about handguns? I want to get a 9mm and just shoot around at the range, do they get into hand guns in boot camp? Or would it be safe for me to get one and learn my way?

Lisa 23
08-22-11, 01:59 PM
Whatever weapons that you'll use in the Marine Corps, will be taught to you the Marine Corps way. So....forget about learning how to shoot a weapon on your own.

Phantom Blooper
08-22-11, 04:08 PM
In my opine if you want to shoot for fun on the range go for it.

But if you get an MOS that requires you to carry or qualify with a pistol then you should learn the military way.

It is just of my opine and a testosterone thing.....shoot as much as you can afford to shoot....it's fun....then again I like shootin' and blowin' shiat up.

The range rules are similar but not quite the same as military rules for firing but you'll learn the USMC way if you have to carry a sidearm and qualify.

MOS4429
08-22-11, 04:52 PM
You ship in 2 months. Don't waste your money buying a 9mm. You can't take it with you anyway. However, many ranges have guns available for use or rent. Call up the local range and find out if you can. YOu may have to take a safety course. Nothing wrong with that.

Phantom Blooper
08-22-11, 05:26 PM
Not a thing.....

Mxzero
08-22-11, 07:32 PM
You won't do anything involving handguns in boot camp. Not gonna tell you to not buy your own, just know the rules for having it on base are pretty insane. If you need one (like if you're an MP or something) they'll teach you and send you to the qual range. They also may if you ask the right person at the right time and they have spots but don't count on it.