PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for your support and answers

BrianPC
08-22-11, 12:01 AM
Hi, my name is Brian Chiodo and I posted here a couple months ago about enlisting in active duty for infantry (03xx, hope to be a Rifleman). I had concerns about my age (I'm 23), what life an infantry is like after SOI, and deployments.

Mainly I want to join to accomplish something with my life. I'm 23 and I have had mostly dead-end jobs and no college. I have a great job now working at a marina where I move boats around, mostly in and out of the water using a huge forklift. I also operate a number of other pieces of heavy machinery to move larger boats such as yachts, some of which have price tags in the million-dollar range. I have handled 47 foot meridian yachts for example. It has been quite an experience but I don't see much more room for advancement. Possibly to the showroom where I could be a salesman and make real money. I look at the last 4 years of my life and know that I want more for the next four years and I feel more motivated towards the Marine Corps than an education. When I tell people I'm seeing a recruiter and I'm going to join they fear for me and know it's a difficult thing to do. I want the challenge and I want to accomplish something honorable which I have wanted to do for many years now.

I have been talking to my recruiter and he says he has never met an infantry marine who has never been deployed. This is great news for me. I know many say I don't know what I'm getting myself into and that I should be careful what I wish for but I am not that naive and I truly look forward to the war experience. I'm sure it will humble me and allow me to grow more than I ever could as a civilian. I feel; like if i get to see some real combat I will know truly what I am made of and if I have what it takes to be a modern day warrior. I'm aware of the risks and I know many who have served and have heard the stories of death and despair but at the same time all of the veterens I have encountered, some good friends, tell me they would never trade their experiences for everything. I was once told "It's a priceless experience you wouldnt pay one penny to do again" (something along those lines). I have a deep respect for these individuals and I want to be like them. I want to be like you.

I have been speaking with a recruiter and he tells me once I take a few necessary steps I can leave for boot camp next March. I was hoping to leave sooner; I will be 24 when I go. I still have to aquire some medical papers for a surgery I had on my leg when I was in 6th grade and take the ASVAB and get a physcial. All of which I fully intend on doing and then taking the final step of signing that contract and getting on that bus to MCRD Parris Island.

The purpose of this post is to thank everyone who answered my questions and inspired me to fulfill my dream. By this time next year I hope to be apart of the brotherhood and then for the rest of my life say that I am a Marine.

Thank you,

Brian Chiodo

MOS4429
08-22-11, 12:12 AM
Brian, tune out the naysayers. Go for your dream and keep us posted!

BrianPC
08-22-11, 12:46 AM
Thank you, sir. The naysayers are already tuned out. Nothing is stopping me. Especially not the people who think I'm joining for the wrong reasons or that I don't know what I'm getting myself into. I know what I want and the Corps is going to give it to me.

DrZ
08-22-11, 09:51 AM
Brian,
If you believe in yourself and you want to become a Marine... nothing should get in your way. We had a prior service Air Force who went through boot back in the late 60s. He was 29 then and while physically it wasn't easy...he graduated with us.

If you get yourself in the best shape possible...learn to ignore the DIs harassment and name calling (Pappy...Old Fart...Old woman...and so on) slide off your back.... you will be fine.

Believe in yourself and in your abilities...and you will be a Marine.