PDA

View Full Version : Medal of Honor question

Salient
08-18-11, 02:56 PM
I have a few questions regarding the case of SSG Leroy Petry, the Medal of Honor recipient who risked his life, going out of his way to pick up a grenade to save the lives of his fellow soldiers.

If the grenade was thrown directly at him and he didn't go out of his way to throw it away, do you think he still would have received the Medal of Honor?

Or if the grenade had not exploded in his hand and he had instead thrown it away safely, do you think he still would have received the Medal of Honor?

Thanks. I know I shouldn't dwell on "What if...?" questions but I'm just trying to get a grip on how the U.S. Military seems to work.

SSgt Lamie
08-18-11, 03:29 PM
Look up some older Medal of Honor citations and read them. That might answer your questions. Especially if you see what type of stuff some people have been awarded the Medal for.

No one on this site makes the decisions on whether or not someone's actions merit the MOH or not.

GT6238
08-18-11, 03:50 PM
It's a long process involving witnesses and such before such a decision is made. If you read the citations, you will find the majority do not survive the action. My senior DI is a living MOH recipient. What he did was heroic. I still feel honored to have been in his platoon. I just wish I had been a better recruit.

Apache
08-18-11, 06:25 PM
How many awards one can accumulate is not an objective

A lot of awards are posthumous

Objectives are Honor Courage Committment
Every one of those can be expounded on and lead to the same answer
A Heroric act of valor which saved the lives of others

May all these recipients be honored

ggyoung
08-18-11, 07:13 PM
Speaking of the MOH there was a US Army solder who recurved the MOH while fighting Indians in Utah. I have never found the name of this man. Any help?

DanM
08-18-11, 07:36 PM
Speaking of the MOH there was a US Army solder who recurved the MOH while fighting Indians in Utah. I have never found the name of this man. Any help?

Take your pick off this list.

http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/war/2_ind.html