PDA

View Full Version : History of alcohol problems?

cjd2389
08-04-11, 12:43 PM
I'm 21 years old, attempting to enlist in the Marine Corps. I found a great recruiter, but I want to see some more opinions on what people think of this. When I was in college, I was underage and got caught with alcohol. The school wrote me up and made me see an on campus alcohol counselor for counseling to see if I had a problem. Assuming I mention this and include the paperwork when I get submitted to MEPS, will they have a problem with this and DQ me? How strict are they about this issues? It's not like I was ever depressed or suicidal. I was just forced to attend this counseling. I'm not looking to hear don't mentioned this. I'm just looking to see what other people and Marines think will happen with this assuming I mention it. Would a note from the counselor be enough summarizing my entire case or do they want all the records?

afraziaaaa
08-04-11, 04:37 PM
I'm 21 years old, attempting to enlist in the Marine Corps. I found a great recruiter, but I want to see some more opinions on what people think of this. When I was in college, I was underage and got caught with alcohol. The school wrote me up and made me see an on campus alcohol counselor for counseling to see if I had a problem. Assuming I mention this and include the paperwork when I get submitted to MEPS, will they have a problem with this and DQ me? How strict are they about this issues? It's not like I was ever depressed or suicidal. I was just forced to attend this counseling. I'm not looking to hear don't mentioned this. I'm just looking to see what other people and Marines think will happen with this assuming I mention it. Would a note from the counselor be enough summarizing my entire case or do they want all the records?

It is possible that MEPS may temporarily disqualify you, and make you see a contracted psychiatrist at a later date to have you psychologically evaluated. I only see this affecting your ability to obtain a security clearance and not your ability to enlist.

That being said, I am a Marine on recruiting duty and not a MEPS doctor. There is no black and white here. You could be found qualified, or you could be found disqualified. If I were you, I would talk to your recruiter about him calling MEPS ahead of time about your situation. See if they can do a "med read". All this is is you providing your documents to MEPS prior to your physical. The doctor will review them and they will go from there. This way, you can have a better idea ahead of time before you take the physical.

Also, sent you a PM. Good luck.

MOS4429
08-04-11, 04:56 PM
I noticed also that this never even got to a COURT, so you should be in a different situation

That was my thought, also. It was not handled criminally - or even with diversion like the situation we had the other day.

Now, I no nobody likes to recommend don't mention it, but when I was in high school, a buddy of mine got pulled over for running a red light. I was a passenger. We had an open container. The officer dumped it out and followed us home. He wrote a short report, but that was the end of it.

As a senior, I was at a party. Sheriffs showed up, called our parents, wrote reports about it, and we went home.

Now, when enlisting - at least in '78 - there were questions pertaining to being involved in crime and/or criminal convictions. It never crossed my mind to mention something like these incidents, and I never did. I did not consider I was keeping anything from anyone. They never entered my mind at the time.

Is the distinction in this circumstance alcohol counseling? I don't know. Underage drinking in a college? Are you serious? That's almost like teenagers and pizza.

afraziaaaa
08-04-11, 05:39 PM
But these days they take everything so seriously. As we said on other threads, they basically have 1000 applicants for one job, say, so 900 have "unblemished" i.e. perfect histories----and 100 have some history of some kind, no matter how nonsensical.

The employer looks at the 100 and says hey, I have NINE HUNDRED applicants with NO involvement with anything except schoolwork, I don't have to even speak with the other 100....nothing against them, but I don't even need to WONDER about them, I got my 900 spotless folks waiting out in a long line to get this one or two or three jobs.
This is about what it boils down to in 2011, plus the downsizing of the military, is another factor.

When I joined, and I hate to be one of these old timers sitting around a campfire talking about the days just after the Civil War, LOL---when I joined, I was 16, my mom signed for me, 2 wks after turning 17 I was at Parris Island. I had quit high school and did NOT have a GED until they let me in the Corps and I got one about two years into my four year enlistment.

So this focus on small things seems ridiculous, but with the example above, to the Corps it's just plain old good personnel selection.

You're right, Dave. The Marine Corps is a lot different from when even I enlisted! These days Marines are getting NJP for being 5 minutes late 3 times in a 30 day period. It is ridiculous. What ever happened to good old fashioned wall-to-wall? We need to get back to enlisting people of "Character", and not these soft little children that the Corps wants these days. What do I know though? I am just a pee-on SSgt.

MOS4429
08-04-11, 05:58 PM
:sick:
But these days they take everything so seriously. As we said on other threads, they basically have 1000 applicants for one job, say, so 900 have "unblemished" i.e. perfect histories----and 100 have some history of some kind, no matter how nonsensical.

The employer looks at the 100 and says hey, I have NINE HUNDRED applicants with NO involvement with anything except schoolwork, I don't have to even speak with the other 100....nothing against them, but I don't even need to WONDER about them, I got my 900 spotless folks waiting out in a long line to get this one or two or three jobs.
This is about what it boils down to in 2011, plus the downsizing of the military, is another factor.

When I joined, and I hate to be one of these old timers sitting around a campfire talking about the days just after the Civil War, LOL---when I joined, I was 16, my mom signed for me, 2 wks after turning 17 I was at Parris Island. I had quit high school and did NOT have a GED until they let me in the Corps and I got one about two years into my four year enlistment.

So this focus on small things seems ridiculous, but with the example above, to the Corps it's just plain old good personnel selection.

I think it's ridiculous. How many Marines do we admire that are held out as heroes of the Corps who would not get by the recruiter's door today?

Are we really getting the best by writing off someone with a wart on their toe? Even in a different thread where a kid said he made a "mistake" and did some drugs and was quaking in his boots that he was going to pop positive. I read him the riot act hoping to get his attention, which a few others jumped my case for, but the fact is, in all other respects he would probably make a good Marine - if he obstains from illicit substances.

It seems in the past few days there are an increasing number of young men/women who are sweating bullets because they have an inconsequential blemish, not even on their record, just in their background.

It almost sounds like we're becoming the Air Force.

MOS4429
08-04-11, 06:04 PM
What do I know though? I am just a pee-on SSgt.

Well, there you have it, PO-SSgt! Too many O's making college edumacated soft policy throwing common sense to the wind. When I was 4 years old I stole a box of Chicklets. OMG, don't let him in the Corps. He's a hardened criminal!!!! :mad:

BTW, I looked so guilty, my mom figured it out and made me march back in by myself, go to the store manager, and confess. I was scared to death and never tried that again.

MOS4429
08-05-11, 10:54 AM
You mean to tell me you got in after stealing that box of gum??????????? But be patient----someday it will be grounds for DQ if someone thought about doing something wrong.

Yeah, my mom saw it written all over my face, but I would have rather had my butt beat than have to go back in that store and face the manager by myself at 4. Ahhhhhhhh....child abuse!

You mean thought police? Nah, never happen. Oh, I forgot, it already is.

:sick:

MOS4429
08-05-11, 11:04 AM
SOL expired 49 years ago!!! LOL.