PDA

View Full Version : What to expect at MCRD San Diego?

tmerrill20
07-23-11, 05:28 PM
I'm leaving Aug 22, 2011 which is in 29 more days and I want to know in detail what receiving week is like. From MEPS to the end of receiving week. Thanks in advance.

IST: :flag:
Pull-ups: 21
Crunches: 136
1.5 Mile Run: 10:26

tuttjs
08-05-11, 10:43 PM
I just graduated on July 29th, so receiving week is still somewhat fresh on my mind. It sucks. It's a whole lot of hurry up and waiting. It's all paperwork, medical, and dental. Lots of shots, including the "peanut butter shot" in the butt. If you have your wisdom teeth, be prepared to have them removed. Then comes "black Friday" :)

MunkyVsRobot
08-06-11, 08:36 AM
I can only imagine. 72 hours of not sleeping how did you stay up the whole time?

If I may I just noticed in your profile that it says you were shipping to recruit training 20110516 May 16th to July 29th isnt 13 weeks its like 11

markpetersonii
08-06-11, 09:30 AM
Boot camp is like 12 weeks now. :/

Anyway, my brother just went through and when he tells me stories about it, it sounds completely different from when I went through. BUT, there are still the awesome mountains on Camp Pendleton that you'll be hiking across. ;)

tuttjs
08-06-11, 10:01 AM
I can only imagine. 72 hours of not sleeping how did you stay up the whole time?

If I may I just noticed in your profile that it says you were shipping to recruit training 20110516 May 16th to July 29th isnt 13 weeks its like 11

My ship date got moved up to May 2nd. I got a call from my recruiter on the Friday saying I leave on Sunday to ship off on Monday. Yeah, I wasn't happy about leaving 2 weeks early on that short of notice, but now looking back I am. Because of that, I got placed in Alpha company. Our company broke regimental records for rifle, PFT, and drill. We were also 0.12% away from taking PRAC too.

Staying up is easy. There's a lot of hurry up and wait, but for the most part you are constantly on the move doing something. Plus you are nervous/excited to see what comes next, so you are on a "high" so to speak

UNCO2013
08-08-11, 01:22 AM
tuttjs what platoon were you in? I was 1002 and graduated from MCRD SD July 29th as well

Anyways, receiving isn't to bad. The worst part I remember was just standing in line for what seemed forever. You have to go to multiple places around the depot to get examined/ fill out paper work. Its kind of cool because you get to see what you have ahead of you. DO NOT FALL ASLEEP while waiting in line. It can be challenging especially when you haven't slept that much but its not worth getting caught

MOS4429
08-08-11, 11:38 AM
Back to the question of what receiving week is like, well, it might have been a little different in '78, ;) but then again, maybe not. My fam and I went on a 3 to 4 hr tour of MCRD summer of '09 and...