PDA

View Full Version : Reservist Medical

Gunstream
07-20-11, 01:13 PM
Hello Marines,

I searched the site for an answer to this, but couldn't find any concrete responses.

I'm 27 years old, set to ship in August for AD. However, I honestly think Reserves is a better fit for me, given certain circumstances. I have a two year old son who doesn't live with me, but I try to be very active in his life. If I go AD, I know I'll not be available for him most of the time. Also, I've been on my own for over 8 years now. Not exactly looking forward to dorm life again.

So my main inquiry is, what will my medical options be as a reservist? Is TriCare still available? Would I have a monthly premium as opposed to free medical for AD? Does anyone know what that premium might be for me and on child?

I asked my recruiter these questions, and he said he'd need to track down a reservist to ask them these questions. I was just hoping a current reserve Marine might stumble across this and give me some quick input. It's somewhat time sensitive, as the MOS I'd like is currently available (1 slot).

Thank you all for your help and service.

SSgt Lamie
07-20-11, 03:37 PM
I couldn't give you a completely accurate answer but like your Recruiter mentioned try and speak with a Marine who is currently a Reservist in your area. He should have a list of those guys, or be able to at least contact the 1stSgt of the nearest Reserve Unit and ask for you.

Gunstream
07-21-11, 08:19 AM
I couldn't give you a completely accurate answer but like your Recruiter mentioned try and speak with a Marine who is currently a Reservist in your area. He should have a list of those guys, or be able to at least contact the 1stSgt of the nearest Reserve Unit and ask for you.

Thank you for the advice SSGT. If I haven't heard anything on here by the beginning of next week, I'll exercise that option next.

I'd like to ask another question regarding the Reserves, if I may. How does promotion differ from AD?

SSgtRSD
07-21-11, 10:35 AM
As a reservist, you rate Tricare Reserve Select. I pay roughly $220 monthly for family medical and dental. The family plan is for a family and does not run based on number of dependents.

However, I would urge you to keep your AD contract. Of course I do not know your situation, but just in terms of what you will get out of the Marine Corps (mind, body, spirit, and benifits) will be much more on the AD side. I have been on both and there is a difference between the average quality of an AD Marine compared to a Reserve Marine. It's not negative, it's just the truth that AD Marines do it everyday compared to one weekend a month. MOS proficiency is much lower in the Reserves. Now of course there are exceptions, but this is just my experience.

Whichever you decide, good luck.

Gunstream
07-21-11, 11:15 AM
Thank you both for your replies. I found the answer to my other question by searching the site. I have to do some thinking, and try to make an informed decision regarding what is in everyone's best interests. I feel like I have a duty to my country, but I know that I have a duty to my son. I just need to decide if Reserves is the best way to fulfill both.

All my questions have been more than adequately answered. Thanks Marines.

/Thread can be closed.