PDA

View Full Version : Questions before i enlist?

RECON305
06-17-11, 08:24 AM
Ive been talking to my Marine recruiter back and forth for months now, the MOS i want to get is Reconnaissance Man and he said there are spots available.

He wants me to workout with him and the poolee's but i have to sign up first, now im just about to get started into my senior year and my parents dont want me to sign up yet, they want me to get about halfway into my senior year. I understand that but the chances of getting Recon will narrow down as slots get filled up. Ive takin the ASVAB and i made a AFQT Score of 45, which is nothing special but my recruiter wants me to get it to atleast a 60 before enlistment, which is do able.

My question is should i sign up now? or wait and keep hitting up the gym 5 times a week and work on my education with the risk of not getting recon?

:usmc:
Much obliged, Hunter

DRB
06-17-11, 08:39 AM
Ive been talking to my Marine recruiter back and forth for months now, the MOS i want to get is Reconnaissance Man and he said there are spots available.

He wants me to workout with him and the poolee's but i have to sign up first, now im just about to get started into my senior year and my parents dont want me to sign up yet, they want me to get about halfway into my senior year. I understand that but the chances of getting Recon will narrow down as slots get filled up. Ive takin the ASVAB and i made a AFQT Score of 45, which is nothing special but my recruiter wants me to get it to atleast a 60 before enlistment, which is do able.

My question is should i sign up now? or wait and keep hitting up the gym 5 times a week and work on my education with the risk of not getting recon?

Much obliged, Hunter

I would not rush into anything. The Army pulled this BS with me. All branches do. Remember this. They have a quota they have to meet. No matter how nice the recruiter is he is not your friend. Now if YOU really want to be Recon. Then jump on it. Make sure that is what YOU want. Do not let your parents decide your future for you. YOU are the one who has to live it and they are concerned with your well being and not with your self gratification. Make sure this is what you want and realize what you are getting yourself into. The Marine Corps is no joke but if I were a young man today it is the path I would take.

Lisa 23
06-17-11, 09:38 AM
PM Sgt Leprechaun and ask him to move this to the Ask A Marine forum (double posting isn't allowed)......and you may want to read the site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.

FaDeD
06-17-11, 09:40 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAH

You think you want Recon, You have Zero Idea what your getting into or should i say, not getting into. First all the "Recon spot" you speak of is a list of criteria you have to meet before you get to SOI. You will go to boot camp, you must acquire a high first class pft and a swim qual 1. right there 99% of the "Recon Spot" recruiters keep selling are lost. After boot camp you check into SOI and You will go to ITB (Infantry Training BN) and go through that course, THEN they screen for Recon and do a INDOC. You make it through all of that and your security clearance comes back then you go to Basic Reconnaissance School for well, a very long time... IF you make it through ALL of that which you problably wont, then you will check into a Recon Unit and begin to be hazed for the next few years while you earn your place. You should have searched every gung ho poolie that comes on here thinks they want to be recon and they all "say" they can handle it. You probably have zero idea what its really like, its NOTHING like i now your thinking and You probably think im being a jerk but im just being real. Why dont you pick supply or something and try for Marsoc when you get into the Corps and get some actual time under your belt.

And when you do fail, They will stick you in a victor unit, have fun with that

OH BTW: you dont rate that screen name, it should say Civilian305.. boot

Thanks

2D Recon Bn
2D SOTG

FADED

Marine1011
06-17-11, 09:43 AM
Who are you supposed to be, the next Commandant of the Corps?
According to you, no one is in that unit because no one is good enough.
and why would you say you probably sound like a jerk? because you're acting like one?
Wise up, young man, and give others a break from your pearls of wisdom

even criticizing the guy's username, with your name as fa de d? give me a break. Go play in a playground somewhere and come around the big kids some other time

DRB
06-17-11, 09:45 AM
Who are you supposed to be, the next Commandant of the Corps?
According to you, no one is in that unit because no one is good enough.
and why would you say you probably sound like a jerk? because you're acting like one?
Wise up, young man, and give others a break from your pearls of wisdom

Agreed. Gives a very bad impression on the Marine Corps. He comes across as very immature.

Old Marine
06-17-11, 09:52 AM
What do you think is most important? Being Rodger Recon or getting an education?

FaDeD
06-17-11, 09:54 AM
Im not going to argue.
Every poolie is Recon and everyone who gets out of the Corps says there Recon. Every faker/phoney was Recon or a Seal.. does anyone not see a trend. If i hurt his feelings then the Marine Corps probably isn't for him. This is exactly why today's people use the term "New Marine Corps" . appearntly we are softer and we hold each others hands and sing cumbaya

DRB
06-17-11, 09:56 AM
Im not going to argue.
Every poolie is Recon and everyone who gets out of the Corps says there Recon. Every faker/phoney was Recon or a Seal.. does anyone not see a trend. If i hurt his feelings then the Marine Corps probably isn't for him. This is exactly why today's people use the term "New Marine Corps" . appearntly we are softer and we hold each others hands and sing cumbaya

That is not entirely true. Some fakes are Green Berets and Delta too. Lets not forget the sniper posers too.:D

PJones64
06-17-11, 09:57 AM
Was FaDeD's post appropriate for a kid asking a respectful question?

DRB
06-17-11, 10:00 AM

This is a new trend with the current generation of Marines and soldiers. They are even more brutal than faded on some of the other forums. They don't give a ounce of thought they are dealing with teenagers.

FaDeD
06-17-11, 10:03 AM
This is a new trend with the current generation of Marines and soldiers. They are even more brutal than faded on some of the other forums. They don't give a ounce of thought they are dealing with teenagers.

Teenagers who come into MY Marine Corps and think they are back on the block. While im off fighting a war there in the RBE smoking spice and getting DUI's. Cant pass a field day and dont know what customs and courtesies are.. half the time you cant even tell they went to boot camp lately.. Get the hell out of here this new trend. Im a fourth generation Marine and they get nastier and saltier as they go back.

fine i take it all back to ease the minds of the people.

GO FOR IT YOUNG MAN, AIM REALLY HIGH AT THE CLOUDS AND YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL. STAY FOCUSED, STAY MOTIVATED AND ALWAYS REMEBER.. SWEAT IN PEACE, BLEED LESS IN WAR.
SF

Lisa 23
06-17-11, 10:05 AM
To the OP, try doing a bit more research before asking questions, there young man.....

Scout Sniper/Recon/MARSOC Information
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70637

Preacher
06-17-11, 10:07 AM
If the recruiter can lock you into that MOS by signing up now, then do so. Ask your recruiter.

DRB
06-17-11, 10:09 AM
Teenagers who come into MY Marine Corps and think they are back on the block. While im off fighting a war there in the RBE smoking spice and getting DUI's. Cant pass a field day and dont know what customs and courtesies are.. half the time you cant even tell they went to boot camp lately.. Get the hell out of here this new trend. Im a fourth generation Marine and they get nastier and saltier as they go back.

fine i take it all back to ease the minds of the people.

GO FOR IT YOUNG MAN, AIM REALLY HIGH AT THE CLOUDS AND YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL. STAY FOCUSED, STAY MOTIVATED AND ALWAYS REMEBER.. SWEAT IN PEACE, BLEED LESS IN WAR.
SF

Faded good luck and stay safe. We are counting on men like you to come through for us. God bless.

CrockettJW
06-17-11, 10:30 AM

I guess it depends on what you got out of it. To me, it sounded like he gave his opinion while outlinding the path to what the kid was asking for without pulling any punches in the process.

On the subject of "Old Corps" and "New Corps," people were saying that when I was in and I got out of the Corps 20 years ago yesterday.

USNAviator
06-17-11, 10:52 AM
I posted this earlier this week. Hunter read this. It's a long road becoming Recon. I'll assume you know that just because to want 0321 doesn't mean you'll get it. You're only guaranteed the 03XX field not the MOS within that field

Type of MOS (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/mosdef.htm) : PMOS
Rank (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/l/blenlrank.htm) Range: MGySgt to Pvt
Job Description: The reconnaissance man is responsible for providing the amphibious, long range, small unit, ground reconnaissance and raid skills to support the MAGTF. He is the nucleus of a reconnaissance team in the reconnaissance battalion or the reconnaissance or assault team in the Marine Special Operations Company (MSOC's) In addition to basic infantry skills, he is responsible for highly refined scouting and patrolling skills. He must possess advanced proficiency in scout swimming, small boat operations, close combat skills, airborne, surface and sub-surface insertion and extraction techniques, assault climbing, demolitions, forward observer procedures for supporting arms, initial terminal guidance operations for heliborne assaults, airborne insertion operations, and various waterborne operations. He specializes in communications, photography, threat weapons and equipment recognition, and various types of point, area, and related necessary overlap of ground amphibious reconnaissance operations. Marines assigned to assault teams possess advanced skills in assault weaponry, breaching demolitions, close quarter battle skills and raid techniques. Selected reconnaissance men are further trained as static line and free-fall parachutists and combatant divers. - Noncommissioned officers are assigned as reconnaissance and assault team leaders or their assistants and may be qualified as static line and free-fall jumpmasters, dive supervisors, helicopter insertion/extraction masters (HRST), and tandem offset resupply delivery system (TORDS) operators.
Job Requirements:
(1) Must possess a GT score (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/asvab.htm) of 105 or higher.
(2) Must possess a first class swimmer qualification.
(3) Must obtain a first class score on the PFT.
(4) All Marines, to include non-infantry desiring lateral move, must successfully complete the Marine Rifleman Course of instruction prior to attending the Basic Reconnaissance Course.
(5) Assigned as a primary MOS to MGySgt and below 03XX Marines by CMC (MM) and Reconnaissance OccFld Manager (PP and O Code POG), and approved lateral-move Marines from any other MOS, who graduate from the Basic Reconnaissance Course (BRC).
(6) Must be a U.S. citizen.
(7) Must be eligible for a secret security clearance (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/security.htm).
(8) Must be medically qualified to perform jump and combatant dive qualifications IAW inter-service requirements established in the P117 Navy Manual of Medicine and Army AR 40-501. Marines assigned 0321 PMOS who become medically unqualified may be directed to Lateral move or be reassigned based on the Commanding Officer, MMEA and HQM recommendations IAW MCO P1000.6.

USNAviator
06-17-11, 11:10 AM

Much obliged, Hunter

Hunter as I posted above you have no guarantee of getting into Recon. Did your recruiter tell you to sign up now and he'll make certain he'll get you into Recon? I doubt it very much

Get as much education as you can enjoy your senior year it won't happen again.

PJones64
06-17-11, 12:08 PM
it's not about what I got out of anything, its about talking to people like they did something wrong by asking, a big and bad Marine with some time under his belt? What, a couple of years? Salty as a commandant? come on, now, elementary courtesy, watson Big bad azz days are over Someone asks like a man, you answer like one

CrockettJW
06-17-11, 12:26 PM
it's not about what I got out of anything, its about talking to people like they did something wrong by asking, a big and bad Marine with some time under his belt? What, a couple of years? Salty as a commandant? come on, now, elementary courtesy, watson Big bad azz days are over Someone asks like a man, you answer like one

You make a good point. The negative attitude from people who think they are too salty is something that was always too common in the Corps. I've said that on other threads as well.

SergeantStokes
06-17-11, 01:49 PM
Best answer I can give you is this: the Marine Corps is going to put you where the Marine Corps needs you most. You may get into the 03XX field, but wherever you go, work harder, run faster, shoot straighter, and study longer than any of your fellow Marines. Listen to your NCOs. Study your knowledge. Look sh!t hot wherever you go, both on and off duty. Be a leader, but earn that role through hard work and exemplary skills.

Do all of this, and you can write your ticket in the Corps. Your first few years may not be in the MOS you want, but pick up a couple of meritorious ranks and outshine your peers and you will be able to LAT move into pretty much anything.

I was the honor grad at Corporal's Course and picked up meritorious Sergeant and was offered my choice of jump school, DI school, or the presidential helicopter squadron (HMX-1) to re-enlist. I opted to get out, but my point is there are options for the best of the best.

Stay motivated!

Sgt. Stokes

RECON305
06-18-11, 08:07 PM
Thanks DRB, its what ive wanted to do since i was 6, im not doing it for the money im doing it soley to serve my country and become a Marine in the finest brotherhood out there.

DRB
06-18-11, 08:09 PM
Thanks DRB, its what ive wanted to do since i was 6, im not doing it for the money im doing it soley to serve my country and become a Marine in the finest brotherhood out there.

You still have to make it. It's a more difficult task than what the recruiter is telling you.

RECON305
06-18-11, 08:14 PM
Thanks for all the positive feed back guys! Yeah i may not be guaranteed recon but im sure as hell gonna give it my best to try to get it, Semper Fi guys!

RECON305
06-18-11, 08:15 PM
Yeah my recruiter SGT.King told me it was hell but if you can do it its worth it.

RECON305
06-18-11, 08:17 PM
@DRB- plus i have lots of family in the Marines and they tell me what its like

Tennessee Top
06-18-11, 08:45 PM
I have said this before. This website is for Marines and ran by Marines.

Pooleess/wannabes come on here and ask their questions. Some like the answers they get and some don't. When I answer one of their questions, I don't concern myself with offending them or trying to be politically correct; I simply let them know my views based on my career in the Corps. If they don't like what I said, or how I said it, then that's their problem and maybe they shouldn't be on here asking questions anyway.

FADED obviously has a high degree of esprit de corps for both the recon community and our Marine Corps. I will not fault him for that and truthfully would like to see more of it. On the other hand, tact is one of our leadership traits and he could probably stand to use a little more of that in his responses.

Lisa 23
06-18-11, 11:47 PM
Thanks for all the positive feed back guys! Yeah i may not be guaranteed recon but im sure as hell gonna give it my best to try to get it, Semper Fi guys!

And yes, this does bother me......it's Marines, not guys.

POOLEE/WANNABEE SITE RULES! Read FIRST!!!

Rule Six never use the words Semper Fi, Semper Fidelis or OORAH you do not rate that here until you have earned the title of United States Marine!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28989&page=2

Phantom Blooper
06-18-11, 11:54 PM
tact is one of our leadership traits

A definition of tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell...and then have them enjoy packing for the trip.:beer:

m14ed
06-19-11, 05:05 AM
FaDeD (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=81096) <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_782307", true); </script>
Marine
Free Member (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/payments.php)
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/image.php?u=81096&dateline=1307194240 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=81096)

Credits: 41

<!-- message --> Im not going to argue.

Wannabees get a lot of us sometimes
for the Dumbest Reasons.
Not always easy to say what ties
your skivies in a bunch before it happens

Sgt Leprechaun
06-20-11, 05:19 PM
Moved to the proper forum. Since 'fade' is rather new here, I will direct him/her to the 'Rules' section of this site, located in the sticky at the top. They apply to you as well, Cpl.