PDA

View Full Version : Is my homeschool diploma equivalent to a public highschool diploma?

jim122011
06-16-11, 01:24 PM
Hi Marines. I was wondering if my parent given (unaccredited) homeschool diploma will be equal to a public school highschool diploma when i try to enlist. i have a g.e.d. But that would put me at tier 2, and when i try to enlist my chances of joining will be small. But i read an article online that claims that the HSLDA(homeschool legal defense apartment) had talked congress into passing some new law on march 26, 2007 that states that a parent given homeschool diploma is equal to a highschool diploma and will get me to tier 1 and that all branches of the military had to accept it as a regular highschool diploma. But i also read Sgt Leprachaun's Thread that says that a homeschool diploma is equal to a g.e.d. And will get me only to tier 2. If anyone could help me know if this HSLDA stuff is legit i would really appreciate it. I'm going to talk to a recruiter sometime this week or the next, but i kinda want to know what to expect him to say about it and if he would accept the diploma. Thanks Marines.

awbrown1462
06-16-11, 01:42 PM
ask a Recuriter is all I can tell you about that

doc h fmf
06-16-11, 01:52 PM
Why Did You Quit High School You Know Marines Dont Like Quiters

awbrown1462
06-16-11, 01:59 PM
Doc he did not quit high school he was home schooled

USNAviator
06-16-11, 02:41 PM
My take on this is that even though you are home schooled it must be done under the direction and guidance of your school district. They are the ones granting your diploma. If you fail to meet their standards, you will not be awarded a diploma. So I'll presume you did not meet with their standards hence the need for a GED? If a GED is what you have, home schooled or not you are still second tiered and will need 15 college credits. The key word in your question is "unaccredited". Your parents home schooled you without accreditation.Their diploma is worthless and you know that or you would not have gotten a GED. Look into getting into a Community College and work on those 15 credits

jim122011
06-16-11, 03:17 PM
My diploma is unaccredited, though the HSLDA stuff said that it's legal as long as it has the parents signature and that the military now legally accepts homeschool diplomas as tier 1 like regular highschool diplomas. Does anybody know if that HSLDA stuff is real? I do have a g.e.d., but if i use that i'd be a tier 2. Though i could get 15 college credits with it, though that would be a pain. Also does anybody know any Marines who were homeschool graduates?

USNAviator
06-16-11, 03:27 PM
My diploma is unaccredited, though the HSLDA stuff said that it's legal as long as it has the parents signature and that the military now legally accepts homeschool diplomas as tier 1 like regular highschool diplomas. Does anybody know if that HSLDA stuff is real? I do have a g.e.d., but if i use that i'd be a tier 2. Though i could get 15 college credits with it, though that would be a pain. Also does anybody know any Marines who were homeschool graduates?

You're not grasping the concept. You were only home schooled if it was done in conjunction with your school district. You were schooled at home by your parents for whatever reason. Aren't you the same person who asked if you could join if your Dad hated Obama? I think I see a pattern here

The HSLDA refers to an accredited home schooled diploma which is not yours. You're looking for an easy way out, not going to happen

And I'm sorry you think getting 15 college credits is a "pain", many young Marines wanted so badly to be in the Corps they went through that "pain". Perhaps it's time to refocus what you want to do in life.

Good luck to you

chulaivet1966
06-16-11, 03:52 PM
My diploma is unaccredited,Does anybody know if that HSLDA stuff is real? I do have a g.e.d., but if i use that i'd be a tier 2. Though i could get 15 college credits with it, though that would be a pain. Also does anybody know any Marines who were homeschool graduates?

Something is familiar about all this dialogue.

Per what's been stated already your recruiter will be your best resource.

IMO...if your schooling is unaccredited how can the validity of your schooling claims be verified....just believe you and anyone with same claims....I don't think so.
I would venture so say that common sense tells me that if any Marines did do home school and were able to join it would have been in an 'accredited' program.

The fact your complaining already about necessary credits to qualify for joining the Marines as being a 'pain' does not bode well for your attitude.
You don't have a clue about 'pain' yet.
The USMC is not an entitlement option for anyone.

That's my take on it...

USNAviator
06-16-11, 04:37 PM
That's what I was saying earlier, Wayne, sounds like someone else we know, or don't know.....there are a few threads like this one, same writing style. Probably just my imagination, no one would actually do that, would they? LOL

Do you mean someone is not actually telling the truth, not being who they say they are? Why I'm appalled, perplexed and a bit disillusioned. Dave how could people do such a thing? Don't they realize most of us are only allowed so many minutes per week on the computer? We here at the home are trying to have them give us more but we need an advocate, someone with high moral fiber, someone who knows his way around the cornucopia of legal babble. We need an attorney so highly thought of by his peers that the mere fact he took up the gauntlet means the cause is just and could set legal precedent. Dave I'm asking you as a friend, as a fellow veteran would you, could you, give us the name of someone like that?

USNAviator
06-16-11, 04:41 PM
Well, Dan, it is hard to believe, and even shocking. But this is life and these things do go on, unfortunately. I'll see if I can find an advocate for you, Commander

Bless you Dave, as my Jewish friends would say "You're a mensch"

Sgt Leprechaun
06-16-11, 05:43 PM
1: Read the GED thread.

2: Your homeschool diploma is worthless without a state accredited test and/or a GED. I don't care WHAT some staff someplace said, unless the Marine Corps says it, it means squat.

3: Only a recruiter can answer these types of questions as they have the most up to date information. See one, sooner rather than later.

Thread closed as no new information will be forthcoming until you DO that. Once you have done so, you may PM me with the information and I'll add it to the appropriate section or area.