PDA

View Full Version : boot camp credits?

Fidelis2
06-16-11, 11:40 AM
At school yesterday some of my freinds were saying that if they go to the boot camp of another service first, then they wont be made to go through all of Paris Island or San Diego, they can subtract off it how many weeks they did in the other service, this didnt sound right to me but i had no way of telling them they are wrong, can someone give me some way to show them its not true that a marine has to go to all of its boot camp. Thank you for any replies that can hel p me
When I turn 18 i plan on joining the marines

USNAviator
06-16-11, 11:55 AM
At school yesterday some of my freinds were saying that if they go to the boot camp of another service first, then they wont be made to go through all of Paris Island or San Diego, they can subtract off it how many weeks they did in the other service, this didnt sound right to me but i had no way of telling them they are wrong, can someone give me some way to show them its not true that a marine has to go to all of its boot camp. Thank you for any replies that can hel p me
When I turn 18 i plan on joining the marines

You're friends are mistaken son. You'll do the whole camp, no credit for other training. BTW, I remember you, didn't you have some sort of problem with a scar on your back? Have you had that looked at?

Just so you'll know Marines is always capitalized as is the personal pronoun I

"Whether or not you have to go through boot camp varies in each of the services. The Marines pretty much require all prior-service from other services to go through Marine Boot Camp. In the Army, former members of other services (except the Marine Corps), are required to attend the four-week Warrior Transition Course (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyjoin/a/warriortransit.htm) at Fort Bliss, Texas. Former Solders and Marines who have a break in service of more than three years must also attend this course. For the purpose of this section, for soldiers and Marines who separate, break in service starts after Military Service Obligation (MSO) is completed or when a member (regardless of service) is no longer a member of a reserve component (including the IRR).
For the Navy, the boot camp decision is made individually, after examining the person's military experience. In the Air Force, few prior-service must go through Air Force basic. Instead, they attend a 10-day Air Force familiarization course at Lackland Air Force Base.Where they are served tea and finger sandwiches and get pedicures"

Fidelis2
06-16-11, 12:03 PM
That was me, the scar from scalding water, a small one, that wont stop me from joining up when i get the right age
I think youre joking about the air force and what they do. haha my friends who are thinking air force will love that Thank you sir for your help, I appreciate it
Even if my scar needs a waiver I dont plan on having them make a big deal out of it, its only a very small one and not becuase of a tatoo

Old Marine
06-16-11, 12:11 PM
If you join the Marine Corps you will go through the complete cycle of training. Once you have graduated from Marine Corps Boot Camp, if you decide that you want to go to another service, you do not have to attend their basic training. Does not matter who you are or what you have done. There is no such thing as credits because you attended basic training from any other service. There is only one Boot Camp and no other is like it. I don't care who you are.

03Mike
06-16-11, 12:41 PM
I was at Parris Island for three years. During that time I remember having prior service members, some ranking up to E-5 come through as privates. No breaks... shoot, if anything, they received a little "extra attention".

Tennessee Top
06-16-11, 12:46 PM
Believe the Air Force has maid service in basic training. Their beds (they don't have racks) are turned down at night with a chocolate mint and towel animal figure placed on each one. Every recruit gets a personal alarm clock so they can set it at the time they wish to wake up, or, they can put in a personal wake-up call with their drill sergeant. Since they never get up early enough for breakfast, they are served a full brunch buffet in bed. Housekeeping presses their uniforms for them and folds their socks and skivy drawers then places them in their wall lockers (they don't have footlockers). Since they never PT, there is no need for PT gear so none is issued. At dinner, they order off a menu in the dining facility (no messhalls) and their meal is served to them so they won't have to stand in line. After a smoke break, phone call home, and hit movie, they are finally ready for a shower/pedicure and then turn in early to begin the next days grueling training schedule all over again.

Off we go, into the wild blue yonder...(where is the yonder exactly?).

SSgt Lamie
06-16-11, 12:52 PM
The only way someone doesn't go through Boot Camp after leaving on service to join another is if they were a Marine first. Once a Marine, you can join any other branch of service and not have to go through Boot Camp, and in most cases you will keep your rank from the Marine Corps.

If you decide to go the other way you have to attend all of Marine Corps Boot Camp, and you start from the bottom.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-16-11, 05:51 PM
Yep. Go back and show your little friends this thread. They are, quite simply, full of bovine excrement.

Closed as the question has been answered.