PDA

View Full Version : Questions on how jobs are picked

jporter1994
06-14-11, 01:19 PM
Good afternoon Marines,

I plan on joining the Corps after my senior year in high school, but plan on entering the DEP after my junior year. After the Corps I want to be a fireman at a civilian fire station. Because of this, when looking at MOS's I decided on Aircraft Crash Fire and Rescue (7051). I decided against the firefighter MOS because I have been told by many of my friends who are/were in the Corps that that MOS was being phased out to DOD contracted civilian stations.

Here is my question: Does the Corps use only ASVAB and PFT scores to pick your job within the field you sign for? or can other experience help?

The reason I asked is because I am a cadet at my local fire dept. through the explorers program for a year now, and because of post-secondary classes I am taking, I will graduate with my EMT-Basic certification. So by the time I ship I will have 3 years of firefighting "experience" and training, my EMT-basic, and an ASVAB score of 95 (I took my ASVAB a little while ago through my school) Will those help me get Crash Crew versus a different job?

I apologize for the long message, but I wanted to make sure I made myself clear in my question. I also did not go searching for a thread with the same answer, because this question is personalized to me.

Thank you for taking the time to answer, and have a good day Marines.

USNAviator
06-14-11, 01:44 PM
You don't get to chose a specific MOS only the field unless you are a reserve.. You're MOS is up to the needs of the Corps not what you want.

Type of MOS (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/mosdef.htm) : PMOS
Rank (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/l/blenlrank.htm) Range: MGySgt to Pvt
Job Description: Personnel of MOS 7051 employ firefighting equipment and extinguishing materials to rescue victims involved in aircraft crashes and to fight fires. Typical duties include operating, servicing, inspecting, and testing aircraft rescue and firefighting vehicles, firefighting systems, controls, and rescue equipment, controls and rescue equipment; inst.ructing personnel in the techniques and procedures rescue and firefighting.
Job Requirements:
(1) Must possess an MM score (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/asvab.htm) of 95 or higher.
(2) Complete the Fire Protection Apprentice (Marines) Course.
(3) Must meet the medical standards as required per the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1582 and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) 29 Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) 1910.234.
(4) Vision correctable to 20/20, maximum vision impairment of 20/50 and normal color acuity.
(5) Minimum height requirement to be classified a 7051 is 64 inches (Actual Height).

jporter1994
06-14-11, 01:57 PM
I understand that the Corps picks your specific job, but I would like 7051. What I'm asking is will the Corps say, "well he has an ASVAB score of 95, 3 years of firefighting training and experience, and is a certified EMT, we could best use him in Crash Crew" or will they discredit the training and my EMT certification and not have that be part of their consideration?

USNAviator
06-14-11, 02:10 PM
I understand that the Corps picks your specific job, but I would like 7051. What I'm asking is will the Corps say, "well he has an ASVAB score of 95, 3 years of firefighting training and experience, and is a certified EMT, we could best use him in Crash Crew" or will they discredit the training and my EMT certification and not have that be part of their consideration?

That's a question that can only be answered by a recruiter. When you turn 17 I'm sure you'll be able to find out more on this subject. In the mean time, do well in school and start working on getting into shape.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-16-11, 12:42 AM
Again....while YOU may want it, it's up to the Corps based on what THEY want and need at the time. You'll be able to pick that basic field, but you may, or may NOT, get CFR.

Prior training doesn't mean doodly. You could be FFI, FFII, EMT, and Paramedic and STILL end up in Airfield Operations. Just the nature of the beast.

jporter1994
06-16-11, 10:20 PM
Thank you very much for your answers Marines. This really helped me.

afraziaaaa
06-17-11, 07:30 AM

Every MOS has a Marine who monitors the personnel requirements. That Marine may look at your enlistment package and say "I should put this recruit in 7051." or that Marine may say "I need someone in MOS 70xx, let me place this recruit." and grab your stack off the file.

So to answer your question, there is no black and white here. My advice to you would be to try to go for the enlistment option that has 7051 in it and hope for the best, but do not get your heart set on anything until it has happened. The Marine Corps is an organization that is bigger than you, and no matter what your job your experience in the Marine Corps will contribute to future firefighting excellence should you choose to pursue that path.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-20-11, 05:09 PM
Another outstanding answer from a Marine who is doing the job. Consider this the 'final word'. Closed.