PDA

View Full Version : Recon Indoc

Giorgi
06-13-11, 01:37 PM
How does one get chosen for the RECON indoc while at bootcamp? If one goes to boot with a 3XX.

Thank You Marines. :flag:

USNAviator
06-13-11, 02:32 PM
How does one get chosen for the RECON indoc while at bootcamp? If one goes to boot with a 3XX.

Thank You Marines. :flag:

From a sticky you must have missed!

"Well, first off you need a GT score of 105 to even qualify for Recon.

There are a few different paths into Recon, most of them involve a lot of luck. If you really want to be Recon, I would suggest asking your recruiter about a UZ Reconnaissance Enlistment Option Contract. This contract will give you the opportunity to go to RIP and BRC after you complete ITB, provided you meet all the pre-requisites.

If your planning on getting screened during ITB, don't count on it. Not every class does...mine for instance did not, yet my buddy who lives next door was screened and got in that way. It's just a matter of if they have room or need more people in RTC at that particular time.

Assuming you make it to Reconnaissance Training Company (RTC), you will first be put into RIP, or MART, or whatever they are calling it at the time. There is more info on RIP HERE (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94051). After you complete your time in RIP, which could be any where from a day to a year, you will attend BRC, again assuming you didn't quit or get dropped.

If you graduate BRC, you will assigned to one of the 3 Recon BNs (Unless your a reservist), 1st Recon in Camp Pendleton, CA., 2nd Recon in Camp Lejeune, or 3rd Recon in Okinawa. Again, you have no say in this, it's just a matter of which BN needs people at the time. Usually the entire BRC class, or most of it, will go to one BN, but sometimes like one or two guys will go to say, NC, while the rest go to Pendleton.

As far as getting into 1st Force, don't count on it until you have had one or two deployments and are **** hot at whatever you do w/in your team. When Force was first stood back up in 07-08, a few classes went straight there to give it numbers, but all but a few were taken out and sent back to the "line" companies in the BN.

On a side note, before trying to get into Recon, you should take a few hours and research what exactly Recon does. It will probably surprise you. Were not high speed CAG operators, rappelling through windows dual wielding MP5s with side mounted rocket launchers. A typical Recon (training) mission usually envolves carrying 100+ lb packs, moving long distances up big ass hills, then staring at a certain object or location for however long, not getting your extract, having to E&E for miles with all your gear, and finally getting picked up or RTB completely exhausted, dehydrated, malnourished, and sleep deprived. Your feet will probably be pretty ****ed up too. Sometimes we will jump out of a helo into freezing water, before doing that as well.
Granted, we train for and conduct a huge variety of other missions as well, but that is a classic green side Reconnaissance mission.
If you think it sounds like fun, then by all means go for it. I can say that a lot of us love getting out in the field, despite the suck factor."

"

Giorgi
06-13-11, 02:48 PM
From a sticky you must have missed!

"Well, first off you need a GT score of 105 to even qualify for Recon.

There are a few different paths into Recon, most of them involve a lot of luck. If you really want to be Recon, I would suggest asking your recruiter about a UZ Reconnaissance Enlistment Option Contract. This contract will give you the opportunity to go to RIP and BRC after you complete ITB, provided you meet all the pre-requisites.

If your planning on getting screened during ITB, don't count on it. Not every class does...mine for instance did not, yet my buddy who lives next door was screened and got in that way. It's just a matter of if they have room or need more people in RTC at that particular time.

Assuming you make it to Reconnaissance Training Company (RTC), you will first be put into RIP, or MART, or whatever they are calling it at the time. There is more info on RIP HERE (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94051). After you complete your time in RIP, which could be any where from a day to a year, you will attend BRC, again assuming you didn't quit or get dropped.

If you graduate BRC, you will assigned to one of the 3 Recon BNs (Unless your a reservist), 1st Recon in Camp Pendleton, CA., 2nd Recon in Camp Lejeune, or 3rd Recon in Okinawa. Again, you have no say in this, it's just a matter of which BN needs people at the time. Usually the entire BRC class, or most of it, will go to one BN, but sometimes like one or two guys will go to say, NC, while the rest go to Pendleton.

As far as getting into 1st Force, don't count on it until you have had one or two deployments and are **** hot at whatever you do w/in your team. When Force was first stood back up in 07-08, a few classes went straight there to give it numbers, but all but a few were taken out and sent back to the "line" companies in the BN.

On a side note, before trying to get into Recon, you should take a few hours and research what exactly Recon does. It will probably surprise you. Were not high speed CAG operators, rappelling through windows dual wielding MP5s with side mounted rocket launchers. A typical Recon (training) mission usually envolves carrying 100+ lb packs, moving long distances up big ass hills, then staring at a certain object or location for however long, not getting your extract, having to E&E for miles with all your gear, and finally getting picked up or RTB completely exhausted, dehydrated, malnourished, and sleep deprived. Your feet will probably be pretty ****ed up too. Sometimes we will jump out of a helo into freezing water, before doing that as well.
Granted, we train for and conduct a huge variety of other missions as well, but that is a classic green side Reconnaissance mission.
If you think it sounds like fun, then by all means go for it. I can say that a lot of us love getting out in the field, despite the suck factor."

"
One of my recruiters didnt even know what a UZ Option was, and the other told me good luck finding one.