PDA

View Full Version : Classical Music Unifies U.S., Coalition Troops

thedrifter
10-21-03, 09:45 PM
Classical Music Unifies
U.S., Coalition Troops
By U.S. Army Spc. Kelly Hunt / 4th Public Affairs Detachment

BAGRAM, Afghanistan, Oct. 20, 2003 — Troops from dozens of countries who may not be able to communicate through words understood one another perfectly as they shared a common joy Sunday, gathered together to enjoy the harmony of classical music.

The creators of the coalition classical music concert intended the gathering to be a time when troops and civilians serving here at Bagram Air Base could take a moment and escape into the soothing sounds of the orchestra’s melody.

“You transported us into another world,” said Dr. John D. Finney, Jr., political advisor to the Commander of Combined Joint Task Force-180 to one of its creators in appreciation for the event.

For an hour, coalition personnel were swept away from Operation Enduring Freedom and whisked into a peaceful atmosphere where communication was created not with words but by the beauty of the conductor’s work.

“That’s the intent,” said Maj. Richard Sater, CJTF-180, announcer for the day’s event and classical music announcer for Ohio University Public Radio when in the United States. “For me, classical music, Sunday morning and a cup of coffee always go together so it’s nice to bring something like that here.”

The idea to bring classical music to a coalition audience was born with the help of Lt. Col. Wolfgang Schuster, a German Liason Officer who decided it was time for a change of pace here, even if only for a few moments.

“I was sitting in a chair and heard a bit of music,” he said. “I thought it would be good to have a bigger audience.”

Schuster’s intent was to use the love of classical music to bring relaxation to forces and with the help of Sater, the coalition classical music concert was born.

“Being a classical music announcer at home, this is the kind of thing that I love to do; programming music, talking about music, playing music, listening to music,” said Sater. “It’s very gratifying to see so many people from different coalition forces participating (and) having a good time.

“This is an opportunity to do something really different; just close your eyes and listen to the music,” he said.

The concert went well according to Schuster and Sater who both agree that they would like to offer coalition troops another classical music concert again in the future.

http://www.defendamerica.mil/articles/oct2003/a102003b.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: